Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How much is the question?
We’ll find out what it is when he signs. Again, I find the estimates pretty accurate but hopefully less than that.

Is guessing it before it happens very important to you?

He’s an RFA without arbitration rights, Fitz can take his sweet time. This could easily happen in Aug or Sept.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We’ll find out what it is when he signs. Again, I find the estimates pretty accurate but hopefully less than that.

Is guessing it before it happens very important to you?

He’s an RFA without arbitration rights, Fitz can take his sweet time. This could easily happen in Aug or Sept.

Yes it's July what else is there to think about?

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
We should try to sign Mercer to longterm; sneaky good deal if he shakes off the one really bad year

Luke better get longterm (and Nemec eventually)

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
All the Mercer talk. I have a question one I currently don’t have an opinion on.

If both team agreed would you do it?

Mercer for Zegras

Camille the Eel

I have a feeling that if Edmonton somehow makes the Finals next season, they won't be denied.....

....unless it's the Devils in their way....in which case DENY DENY DENY!! lol
Their inexperience in being there probably cost them this year. Their slow start put them in the three zip hole and they probably win game one if they play with more poise and focus and without the “wow we’re in the finals” effect.

Reactions: glenwo2

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
For sure! We know what he brings and his importance though. Future long-term top pairing D-man with Luke, already playing very good hockey as a 20 year old. It's super exciting to have Luke and him as pillars on D for years to come, and Silayev to that as well. Absolutely awesome.
After actual signings of Peshe and Dillon im not worry about defense at all. I think Luke and Simon are potentially great to elite, Silyaev should develop into the great defensive defenseman at least, he has very good transitional potential too. I think Casey is NHLer, I think at least one defenseman from Misyul-Vilen-Orlov-Karpovich group has real potential to be NHLer, and I think there are more nhlers in this group. So now they should just develop their game naturally. All four are good to very good skaters, some of them are having two way potential, all of them, even on different levels, are good or very good in D zone for their level and stage. May be we have even more than just third pair defenseman there.
It should help to have so much talented defensive line for all this years. I think Devils are already Cup contender, may be not top 4 but top 6-8 team. Because we have 6 players who would play top 4 role for the majority of teams.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Our top 6 guys can handle the playoffs and be "hard to play against"

I just watched this video through 2 periods and that was some of the most atypical playoff hockey ever...2 on 1's, breakaways, general pond hockey elements, not 1 bit of body contact, barely a bump....In a game 7?

I guess it was just highlights but none of the Eastern Conference games looked that wide open this year in the playoffs.

And it's kinda funny that you're tooting the top 6 horn when the bottom 6 has the biggest highlight and probably was more responsible for winning the game....While the biggest, most physical top 6 player was laid out flat on the ice and did not return.... regardless of the particulars the irony of it all is pretty hilarious.

Last edited:

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I don't have the energy to contribute to this 5 page mercer talk which just followed the 5 page hard to play against talk, except for the below:

All I know is, no one dislikes mercer here and no one is advocating he can't be a top 6 player.

But to think he had a good year last year is silly, it was a very terrible start for him yet a decent finish. Simply put, that would definitely effect his bargaining chances more negativity than it would have otherwise, for his next contract. And frankly, it does potentially keep him in the battle for a middle 6 position.

If he has a great start there is little doubt the coach will not move him into top 6 (or not keep him there).

Why do we need to have so many f***ing pages about it? It seems pretty simple and not that debatable because the facts are pretty clear what happened with his game last season for anyone that was watching the team closely. Haha.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
you know damn well why

Yes, yes I know. Had to get that rhetoric off my chest and throw in my hat here and token thought on the subject.... because oh my god, this last 10 page slog has been brutal to read through.

Everything with Mercer seems very clear cut...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad