Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
NHL contracts most heavily weigh the most recent year.

It is great for NJD. Mercer played himself out of a ton of leverage.

And negotiations heavily rely on comps. Lundell and Pinto will 100% be brought up negotiations and used as baselines.
I'm sure Pinto will be brought up...as why Mercer is worth around a million more per year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Mercer simply does not have the leverage to get 5 mill a year unless he's selling UFA years.
I think there is a large gap between 3.75 and 5 million.

The cap hit I proposed was 4.75 with an increasing salary. 3 years 14.25

3.75, 4.75, 5.75

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Last edited:

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
How do you guys feel for a cheap 1 year deal to Sprong? I don't know why but I think he would be solid here with the style of play. Back to back 40pts seasons, scored almost 20 goals in each, I think he would do great here and would be very motivated.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
How do you guys feel for a cheap 1 year deal to Sprong? I don't know why but I think he would be solid here with the style of play. Back to back 40pts seasons, scored almost 20 goals in each, I think he would do great here and would be very motivated.
I think there’s probably a reason this many teams have stayed away but I wouldn’t hate it at all, especially if he understood he wouldn’t play every night. I don’t think we’ve done it because we need better defensive play up front. Which is why Duclair wasn’t an option either.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Reactions: My3Sons

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
You don't see a player healthy scratched around 12 times vs one that played all 82 games for 3 straight years particularly meaningful? Bratt's rough "patches" went for years... that's not patches....Bratt was also allowed to play through rough patches...Mercer just didn't have any for his first 2 years.

I think that's wildly different.

I think playing every possible NHL game on your ELC coming straight out of junior is a big deal. I think Mercer's first 3 years were significantly more successful than Bratt's first 3...granted Bratt was a year younger.

But just in the versatility alone, Mercer has been used on every line with ever player in every situation at center and at wing...the kid has been a top 4 PK forward for two of his first 3 years in the league...a PK that was top 10 in the league both years....I mean Bratt's Curriculum Vitae wasn't in the same league as Mercer's after the first 3 years .
Are you trying to sell Mercer to us or something?

I believe he should be part of the future (and Fitz believes it, too).

It's only a question of how much he deserves (Financially-speaking) and I think Fitz may pull the same thing he did with Bratt.

That is unless Mercer "bets on himself" and signs a one-year deal (which doesn't seem likely, imo) or something.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Are you trying to sell Mercer to us or something?

I believe he should be part of the future (and Fitz believes it, too).

It's only a question of how much he deserves (Financially-speaking) and I think Fitz may pull the same thing he did with Bratt.

That is unless Mercer "bets on himself" and signs a one-year deal (which doesn't seem likely, imo)
A one year deal does nothing for nobody. Not the team or Mercer ...

Mercer will still have the same negotiation power next off season as he does this one regardless of what he does on the ice.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think there is a large gap between 3.75 and 5 million.

The cap hit I proposed was 4.75 with an increasing salary. 3 years 14.25

3.75, 4.75, 5.75
You aren't proposing 3.75.

You are suggesting a 4.75 mill x 3 deal. Again, if we're talking basically 5 mill, we are buying UFA years.

This isn't the NFL. You can't stagger cap hits. Cap hit=AAV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You aren't proposing 3.75.

You are suggesting a 4.75 mill x 3 deal. Again, if we're talking basically 5 mill, we are buying UFA years.

This isn't the NFL. You can't stagger cap hits. Cap hit=AAV
What are you talking about?

I'm talking about 14 million over 3 years. The cap hit isn't staggered the salary is.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Sprong’s f***ing awesome. I was banging the drum hard on him last summer. I don’t think we have the space to sign him now. If you can fit him then it’s a no brainer

Reactions: DevilsHughes86

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
What are you talking about?

I'm talking about 14 million over 3 years. The cap hit isn't staggered the salary is.
Yes, and I am telling you mercer doesn't have the leverage to garner that AAV unless he's selling his UFA years. (also you're suggesting 14.25 mill over 3 years)

Reactions: Edmonton East

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think there’s probably a reason this many teams have stayed away but I wouldn’t hate it at all, especially if he understood he wouldn’t play every night. I don’t think we’ve done it because we need better defensive play up front. Which is why Duclair wasn’t an option either.

I think with the Noesen and Tatar adds as well as the improved defensive environment from Keefe it should be enough you can add a Sprong. He should definitely be an everyday player. He’s just way too good and creates way too much not to be. It could be in a bottom 6 role if need be as that’s what he’s already been doing. The guy absolutely crushes weak competition and his QoT is also very low. Like even if you keep the 3rd line as a more shutdown line you could put Sprong with Cotter and Lazar and he’d cook there. We just likely can’t feasibly make the money work

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just sign Mercer for 7 years and hope he breaks out
That's the thing, they don't have the cap space do that. That's really the only reason for this conversation is that they don't have the cap space to do much of anything right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad