Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
Sprong’s f***ing awesome. I was banging the drum hard on him last summer. I don’t think we have the space to sign him now. If you can fit him then it’s a no brainer
I liked his play, especially 2 seasons ago in Seattle. Healthy, I think he would produce like crazy if given a shot on the top 6. Good skater, just needs to learn the 200 foot game

Reactions: Hisch13r

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Just sign Mercer for 7 years and hope he breaks out

I think after the season Mercer had, a bridge deal is probably preferred by both sides. Mercer will want to prove himself, and the Devils will want assurances that last year was fluke.

I'm thinking 3 years because that lines up with end of the Palat deal (presuming we don't dump him or buy him out in his last season).

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I think the best line Dawson played on was with Bratt and Johnsson. They were our best line in early 2021 until they broke it up because the other lines weren't producing.

NumTime%LineGFGA+/-SFSASF%CFCACF%
2170:5814.5JESPER BRATT - ANDREAS JOHNSSON - DAWSON MERCER15871287961.820717254.6
1269:2723.6TOMAS TATAR - NICO HISCHIER - DAWSON MERCER23101318112259.729923256.3

They were both very good. Tatar-Nico-Mercer was together longer, so that maybe skews things somewhat, but that also speaks to how well the team was rolling.

And, of course, it was with that Tatar-Nico duo where Mercer had his 8-game goal streak occur.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I liked his play, especially 2 seasons ago in Seattle. Healthy, I think he would produce like crazy if given a shot on the top 6. Good skater, just needs to learn the 200 foot game

I doubt the defense ever comes at this point but he creates so much offense it’s kind of whatever. I think you could toss him with Jack and Bratt and just give them free reign to go crazy as the other 3 lines would all be pretty responsible. Could also toss him into the bottom 6 and he’d still do his thing as that’s what he’s been doing. Unfortunately this is all irrelevant since we don’t really have the space

Reactions: DevilsHughes86

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
If there were no such thing as injuries, I'm actually very comfortable with where the forward group is. It's injuries that will hurt it and that doesn't get fixed by guys like Sprong.

The best thing we could add at this point would be a top-6 quality LW on the cheap (so basically a guy on his ELC) or a 4C that is capable of playing a 3C role. Not a lot of either of those out there available now. An elite-level 4C is a classic deadline add for contenders so I'm comfortable going into the season like this.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I know it's only one year but given our cap situation, I think the Tatar contract was a mistake....how big of one is to be determined but $1.8 seems absurd to me.

Reactions: MartyOwns

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If there were no such thing as injuries, I'm actually very comfortable with where the forward group is. It's injuries that will hurt it and that doesn't get fixed by guys like Sprong.

The best thing we could add at this point would be a top-6 quality LW on the cheap (so basically a guy on his ELC) or a 4C that is capable of playing a 3C role. Not a lot of either of those out there available now. An elite-level 4C is a classic deadline add for contenders so I'm comfortable going into the season like this.

Where's Gritsyuk when you need him

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think after the season Mercer had, a bridge deal is probably preferred by both sides. Mercer will want to prove himself, and the Devils will want assurances that last year was fluke.

I'm thinking 3 years because that lines up with end of the Palat deal (presuming we don't dump him or buy him out in his last season).
If I am Mercer's agent I'm not looking for him to prove anything...I want fair market value... nothing more or nothing less.

I am certainly not entertaining any discussion of "prove it"...not after, the team went from 291 goals for to 264 and Nico saw a 13 point drop, Jack saw a 25 point drop...and Dougie... Meier...ect..

Nope, I shut down that conversation of "prove it" real fast

Last edited:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I know it's only one year but given our cap situation, I think the Tatar contract was a mistake....how big of one is to be determined but $1.8 seems absurd to me.
It's 2% of the cap for someone who filled a top-6 role on this team 2 years ago. That's essentially in-line with what he was paid last year. It only seems absurd because you're not used to cap hits going up after the last few years.

That is a value contract if he plays in the middle six all year, and comparable with what many 4th liners got this offseason. Compare this to the cap hits MacDermid and Bastian have and the expected impact of those players vs. Tatar.
If I am Mercer's agent I'm not looking for him to prove anything...I want fair market value... nothing more or nothing less.

I am certainly not entertaining any discussion of "prove it"...not after, the team went from 291 goals for to 264 and Nico saw a 13 point drop, Jack saw a 25 point drop...and Dougie ect..

Mercer is coming off his ELC and has no Arb rights. His only leverage is the threat of an offer sheet (which GMs don't do) the threat of holding out (which players don't do), or giving up UFA years. If he's not doing any of those 3, he's not getting paid what you perceive to be "fair market value" because it is by definition not a fair market.

RFA negotiations are much closer to a legal proceeding than an open negotiation (UFA). I've participated in quite a few negotiations guided by legal proceedings and while both sides may use "arguments" to convey the numbers, both know those are just words thinly veiling an agreement of a number that both sides already worked out with math before exchanging any numbers.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I am certainly not entertaining any discussion of "prove it"...not after, the team went from 291 goals for to 264 and Nico saw a 13 point drop, Jack saw a 25 point drop...and Dougie ect..

I'm skeptical a team says anything like that to an agent. They'd probably just discuss what either side is looking at for term and then comparables. They both want to arrive at a mutual resolution. Hasn't Fitz already said publicly they want Mercer around for the long term?

Reactions: Guadana

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Dawson averages roughly 43 points per season which in the open market probably gets him closer to 5 unfortunately for him he’s rfa so that number is likely closer to 4

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm skeptical a team says anything like that to an agent. They'd probably just discuss what either side is looking at for term and then comparables. They both want to arrive at a mutual resolution. Hasn't Fitz already said publicly they want Mercer around for the long term?
I'm sure the team doesn't say anything like that during negotiations also.

Reactions: My3Sons

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Mercer was objectively bad last year. Like the player and expect a bounce back, but he had opportunity and didn't perform. No way he should be getting close to $5m, unless it is a long term deal. IF IF IF they signed him 5+ years at a number $4-$5, the current cap situation wouldn't prevent them from doing that at all. They'd make the minor moves needed to make it work. Palat is gone after this season, so just need to move $1m this year.

A 2-3 year bridge should range from $3 to $4...and is the likely outcome though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Mercer was objectively bad last year. Like the player and expect a bounce back, but he had opportunity and didn't perform. No way he should be getting close to $5m, unless it is a long term deal.

A 2-3 year bridge should range from $3 to $4.
That's what Shane Pinto just got and Mercer is a better player that has accomplished much , much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad