Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
4 is on a bridge is not low when Lundell just signed for 5 over 8. 4 is the highest I go on a bridge after that shit show Mercer just gave us

Lundell only got 250k more per year for an extra 5 years. 4.75x3 is definitely too much for Mercer.
Lundell got 30 million over 6 years, 5M.

Jarvis is probably going to come in somewhere around 6M per

4 million is way to low for Mercer unless it's some sort of rising structure that gets the total deal around 5 or more.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the Lundell comparison makes no sense because he got a longterm deal and Mercer probably gets a bridge. You can't compare the AAVs in that situation. I brought it up as a comparable the other day, but I don't think Mercer is going to get a longterm deal. If Mercer gets six years, yes, he will get probably closer to what Lundell got. Chances are he gets 2 years though if I had to guess.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Mercer just had 33 pts while putting up some of the worst underlyings on the team. Fitz played the hardest hardball on Bratt coming off his ELC and only gave him 2.75x2 and he was a better player.
Lundell just had 35 points, has never had a 20 goal season and he stil hasn't matched his rookie 44 season in the two seasons after.

Bratt coming off of his ELC was 5 years ago in a stagnant cap environment, and he never had more than 16 goals or 35 points.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think Mercer is gonna get under $4 million.

As we saw with Bratt particularly, our RFA's have wound up getting less than what we thought they would.

Can't draw comparison to Bratt that was eons ago. And he didn't produce as well.

Id sit out before taking under 4...he should be closer to 5.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can't draw comparison to Bratt that was eons ago. And he didn't produce as well.

Id sit out before taking under 4...he should be closer to 5.
They produced about identical when Bratt was up for his first contract after the ELC. Bratt produced slightly better, but it was almost identical.

The production was almost identical, but Mercer played more games, as he's never missed a game. Mercer had scored more (not more per game), but he had also played I think 60+ more games to that point.

His deal was worth $2.75 million for 2 years. That was right after the frozen cap.

I'm not sure what that would translate to in current times with the just recently rising cap. I'm gonna say about $3.2-$3.5 million.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Lundell got 30 million over 6 years, 5M.

Jarvis is probably going to come in somewhere around 6M per

4 million is way to low for Mercer unless it's some sort of rising structure that gets the total deal around 5 or more.
Lundell wouldn’t get 5 million on a shorter bridge deal though. Florida bought some UFA years. No one is saying Mercer would get 4 on a long term deal.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They produced about identical when Bratt was up for his first contract after the ELC. Bratt produced slightly better, but it was almost identical.

The production was almost identical, but Mercer played more games, as he's never missed a game. Mercer had scored more (not more per game), but he had also played I think 60+ more games to that point.

His deal was worth $2.75 million for 2 years. That was right after the frozen cap.

I'm not sure what that would translate to in current times with the just recently rising cap. I'm gonna say about $3.2-$3.5 million.
Bratt was getting scratched in those first 3 years.

The did not produced similarly at all. Bratt had 30 Even Strength goals in first 3 years.... Mercer had 24 in 2023 alone.

Bratt had had 42 Even Strength assist in his first 3 years. Mercer had 53. But the goals aren't in the same stratosphere.

Reactions: BostonDevil

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lundell wouldn’t get 5 million on a shorter bridge deal though. Florida bought some UFA years. No one is saying Mercer would get 4 on a long term deal.
Did he give up UFA years? Its 6 years taking him through 28 years od...so it's a year right? I'm not sure?

Camille the Eel

Hi, didn't we keep Brylin as well. I just threw in that point. He wasn't going to keep Green so I don't care how he got rid of Green but technically you are correct, Camille the Eel.

Onto the playoffs,
Yes you are right we kept Sarge. I don’t know how I omitted that. Personally I would love to see Brylin take a role behind the bench and not just up in the press box.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Bratt was also the guy driving offense. What he managed to get out of that line with Zacha and Gusev was pretty crazy. Mercer's only ever been a passenger. 2.75 would translate to just under 3 mil in todays cap. If it's a 2 year and lets say the cap is jumping another 4 mil then like ~3.05 would be the equivalent. 3.2-3.5 to me is what a 3 year deal should come in around but I think in reality he'll get a bit more.

Reactions: glenwo2

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Yes you are right we kept Sarge. I don’t know how I omitted that. Personally I would love to see Brylin take a role behind the bench and not just up in the press box.

Old boy in the neighborhood
Lives upstairs and it's understood.
He's there just to take good care of me,
Like he's one of the family.

Sarge in Charge
Of our days and our nights
Sarge in Charge
Of our wrongs and our rights

And I sing, I want,
I want Sarge in Charge of me.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Pointing out how Bratt got scratched and looking at how he’s turned out while also having said things like “Mercer needs to be in the top 6 every single game or trade him” sure is something.
I honestly don't see your point?

If you want Mercer to produce more 35 points a season he needs to be in the top 6...if you are going to burry him in the bottom 6 you are wasting his potential in my opinion...

Is there something contradictory in that?

I honestly don't understand your point? You think it's ok to keep a top 6 talent with bottom 6 players? I think I've pretty consistent in that I don't want Haula or Palat anywhere near the top 6 for the same reason I don't want Mercer with them in the bottom 6.

Bratt was also terrible defensively early on and allergic to any contact. He was scratched after half assing backchecks...Sal even broke it down.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDuffz88

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Again I am here to shout loud and clear for Tom Fitzgerald, our GM. Last season the Devils used everything they had to miss the playoffs.

288 mam games lost due to I juries.
They did their best to put out the worst defense and allowed 3.43 goals/game in their division.
And had a whooping .886 save percentage.

That is behind us, thanks to Fitz.
He fired the HC and staff
He got us goalies
He got us defenseman
He got us a new Head Coach
He got us a new Associate Head Coach
He got us new assistant head coaches
He got us grit in the bottom 6
Jack, Luke Nico and Jasper are a year older and hungry

I only tell you Devils' fans this stuff to remind you that I am proud of the job done by Fitz and I am ready for some playoffs.
Don’t forget the new goalie consultant

Reactions: Bleedred

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I honestly don't see your point?

If you want Mercer to produce more 35 points a season he needs to be in the top 6...if you are going to burry him in the bottom 6 you are wasting his potential in my opinion...

Is there something contradictory in that?

I honestly don't understand your point? You think it's ok to keep a top 6 talent with bottom 6 players? I think I've pretty consistent in that I don't want Haula or Palat anywhere near the top 6 for the same reason I don't want Mercer with them in the bottom 6.

Bratt was also terrible defensively early on and allergic to any contact. He was scratched after half assing backchecks...Sal even broke it down.

Dawson Mercer in 2023-24 played 13:31 per game at 5 on 5, 4th most among Devils forwards (more than Hischier)

Dawson Mercer in 2022-23 played 13:17 per game at 5 on 5, 5th most among Devils forwards (again, more than Hischier)

so he scored at a much worse rate this past season while playing MORE per game than 2 seasons ago................

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Old boy in the neighborhood
Lives upstairs and it's understood.
He's there just to take good care of me,
Like he's one of the family.

Sarge in Charge
Of our days and our nights
Sarge in Charge
Of our wrongs and our rights

And I sing, I want,
I want Sarge in Charge of me.
Scott Baio always gave me the creeps
Hated that show. I think I thought the blonde girl was hot when I was a kid.

He seems to be a gigantic asshole, among other things I don't need to go into in this thread, and his career is nowhere today and probably has been for 35 years now. He's probably even more irrelevant in 2024 than Ralph Macchio was in 2017 before Cobra Kai brought him and his character back after 30 years.

There's so many celebrities from back then who are nowhere today, but are still acting. You just don't see them in anything. I laughed when I saw C. Thomas Howell pop up on the Walking Dead a few years ago in a role. He looks like he's about 75 years old already. Not even exaggerating.

I saw there was a Mighty Ducks revival type of thing like Cobra Kai, where the Gordon Bombay character is back. So I guess Emilio Estevez has something to do again.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

He seems to be a gigantic asshole, among other things I don't need to go into in this thread, and his career is nowhere today and probably has been for 35 years now. He's probably even more irrelevant in 2024 than Ralph Macchio was in 2017 before Cobra Kai brought him and his character back after 30 years.
I don't know anything about him ... didn't he date like every hot 80/90 girl? Like Heather Locklear and Pam Anderson? I think I remember that from Howard Stern? That's about all I know about him...

His look was just weird to me. A bit creepy.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)

There's so many celebrities from back then who are nowhere today, but are still acting. You just don't see them in anything. I laughed when I saw C. Thomas Howell pop up on the Walking Dead a few years ago in a role. He looks like he's about 75 years old already. Not even exaggerating.

I saw there was a Mighty Ducks revival type of thing like Cobra Kai, where the Gordon Bombay character is back. So I guess Emilio Estevez has something to do again.
There are also some celebs that we don't see them in anything because of certain political viewpoints they have. (and I'll leave it at that)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
There are also some celebs that we don't see them in anything because of certain political viewpoints they have. (and I'll leave it at that)
Oh I see...I didn't know that... I just looked him it up.

Sitcom and TV stars don't seem to have a lot of longevity though? It seems most just disappear after their show.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He was back for the first season not the second. It was purely a kids show but I gave it a go. Decent but never went back for the second season.

It's weird that Hollywood for the most part is very heavy on one side and they blackball the ones who aren't.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He was back for the first season not the second. It was purely a kids show but I gave it a go. Decent but never went back for the second season.
Ah, I honestly don't know if it's even still going or not.

I don't really have much interest in it. I'd watch the first movie, but the second one sucked and I never even saw the third. I thought the storyline concept of the second one was stupid. These kids sucked a year ago, now they're representing the country in an international tournament, along with a couple of new additions? Kids who could barely play a year ago are now international junior athletes? That's believable? They're the best kids in that age group in the country? Really?

I did start watching Cobra Kai I think a few years back. My friend was watching it before I was and we watched the first couple of seasons (he had already seen them) and have watched everything since. The only thing I don't like about it is the high school drama aspect and most of the characters being teenagers, outside of the originals from the movies 35-40 years ago.

But I guess they're needed, because not many people younger than 40-45 would watch the show if it was only about a couple of older men who were karate rivals as high schoolers 40 years ago and the 70-something year old evil sensei. That was the only way they were going to attract a wider audience, by making Daniel and Johnny fathers and family men (well, Johnny isn't really a family man lol) and teaching karate to high school kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad