Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Did you honestly think you were going to get an answer? It's so much easier to be a baboon in cage and throw your own fecal matter at passers by.
I would like you to talk about why you think its so easy to do that, from my experience it's much harder than it looks. Aiming is hard enough, but supply becomes an issue pretty quick.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The original context was Florida's top 6 is bigger and stronger than ours and doesn't give up much in skill if any at all.

I don't think we are speaking past each other...
You would say Bratt is inherently more skilled than M. Tkachuk...I wouldn't.

Skill in the common vernacular has seemed to become slick moves at high speeds... I don't see it that way.

They are a lot of professional archery trick shooters. Some can knock an aspirin out of the air...they can dazzle a crowd... I never met one that can beat an average tournament shooter in an archery competition. I see parallels to this discussion.
unless we define the specific terms it’s not the same thing from a rhetorical standpoint. That said your opinion is yours and I think empirically the size issue is objective. For the most part strength would be too if it could be tested in an apples to apples way. In any event Florida just won the cup I’d expect them to be formidable. Why is that such a big deal? NJ was mediocre so of course they won’t look great in comparison. Beyond that the core is what it is. If it’s a failure than be prepared to be sad for the next seven to ten years. At your age that’s most of what you have left. You may want to consider rooting for a winning organization. JimEIVBruins?Isles?Utah?Doggo?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
They are a lot of professional archery trick shooters. Some can knock an aspirin out of the air...they can dazzle a crowd... I never met one that can beat an average tournament shooter in an archery competition. I see parallels to this discussion.
I suspect competition archers wouldn't be able to shoot aspirin out of the air on a regular basis either. You learn your skills.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Strengthening around the injured joint is standard in recovery from surgery.

Physical therapy will hopefully be a jump off point for Jack.
Sure but I highly doubt he will be able to make large gains that he needs to make to change the degree to which he gets injured. He probably needs to pack on 5+ pounds of muscle, which I highly doubt he will be able to do this summer.

Reactions: mdj12784

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
I am sure its been discussed here already but Florida gave Anton Lundell a 6 year contract at 5 million per season. I would be on board with that for Mercer. Maybe Mercer is waiting to see what Seth Jarvis gets.

2020 draft:

Pick 12 Seth Jarvis: 231 NHL games 64 goals 82 assists 146 points .6320 points per game

Pick 13 Anton Lundell: 216 NHL games 43 goals 69 assists 112 points .5185 points per game

Pick 18 Dawson Mercer: 246 NHL games 64 goals 67 assists 131 points .5325 points per game

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I suspect competition archers wouldn't be able to shoot aspirin out of the air on a regular basis either. You learn your skills.

Yeah It's a completely different skill set. Tournaments are about repeatability, repetition, consistency and precision. A lot of exhibition shooting is about timing.
One is more of a rigid shooting style and the other is a little more flow and feel.

You may want to consider rooting for a winning organization. JimEIVBruins?Isles?Utah?Doggo?
I really never expected you to stoop to this message board classic....but here we are

Reactions: Nubmer6

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I am sure its been discussed here already but Florida gave Anton Lundell a 6 year contract at 5 million per season. I would be on board with that for Mercer. Maybe Mercer is waiting to see what Seth Jarvis gets.

2020 draft:

Pick 12 Seth Jarvis: 231 NHL games 64 goals 82 assists 146 points .6320 points per game

Pick 13 Anton Lundell: 216 NHL games 43 goals 69 assists 112 points .5185 points per game

Pick 18 Dawson Mercer: 246 NHL games 64 goals 67 assists 131 points .5325 points per game
I don't think there is 5 for Mercer to get?

Cap Friendly has our space at $4,976,103. This looks like it's a problem?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah It's a completely different skill set. Tournaments are about repeatability, repetition, consistency and precision. A lot of exhibition shooting is about timing.
One is more of a rigid shooting style and the other is a little more flow and feel.

I really never expected you to stoop to this message board classic....but here we are
No this was just being silly. Thought that was apparent from the goofy Doggo stuff. I realize you are not looking to denigrate the team because you want to root for another one.

Reactions: JimEIV

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
…”Too much surfer vibe past couple of years”… Brooks

While I think that's a goofy way to put it given the success the team had the year before last, I'll gladly share his full article on it as he believes the team has made all the right moves this offseason to compete for the Cup.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
…”Too much surfer vibe past couple of years”… Brooks
It's was weird thing to say by Brooks, but he was pretty complimentary of Fitz's work this off season.

You do have to give him credit, whether you agree with his moves or not, he makes moves. He identifies a problem and does everything he can to fix it.

That would make me happy as a player for his team... knowing that the GM will do what is necessary to try and get better.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It's was weird thing to say by Brooks, but he was pretty complimentary of Fitz's work this off season.

You do have to give him credit, whether you agree with his moves or not, he makes moves. He identifies a problem and does everything he can to fix it.

That would make me happy as a player for his team... knowing that the GM will do what is necessary to try and get better.
I definitely have faith in him identifying problems and moving to fix them. What's somewhat questionable is the player evaluations to fix the problems. I think he has a great eye for solid, underutilized defensemen, but maybe not as great with forwards. As for goalies, I'm not sure if it's just been bad luck, or purely that there haven't been many decent ones available, or that they're just plain old bad at evaluating them. I mean, VV was pretty good most of the first year but should he have picked the one that went up to Toronto instead?

I think the next year or two will fully tell the story. Was Markstrom the right guy to trade for, and was picking that goalie in the 2nd round the right choice?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'd much rather keep him, given Foote has not proved to be an NHLer and MacDermid is on the team.

If you can push Bastian to #13 forward, fine, but either way I keep him.
I’m operating under the assumption that MacDermid is going to be on the team and playing games, as much as I don’t want that to happen. It seems like they like Foote. Hopefully Bastian isn’t cooked after the injuries.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bastian missed 40% of the games over the last 2 years. Almost all of them due to injury.

Whether he's playing here or not, I'm pretty sure nobody expects him to play a whole lot.

Reactions: Patrik26

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Nick DeSimone also is checking in at $750,000. Perhaps he can be jettisoned too to open up space.
DeSimone makes league minimum. There isn’t a way to have a filled roster spot and be cheaper.

You could play short a person your roster but that’s not a long term solution, so you can’t save money through DeSimone.

Edit: He actually makes $775k so you could save up to $25k with someone else but that’s it.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Or just keep Kurtis MacDermid in the AHL for like a week and save 25k that way.

I mean sure they could but the plan is obviously for him to be on the team. You don't give him 1.15x3 if your plan is to send him down. Jettisoning Nate, never ever signing this waste of space, and having 2 guys on min deals instead would've been the smarter move and opened up another 970k in space

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad