Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The arguments are tedious but I don’t think it’s weird to ask who the Brouwer, Killorn, Kunitz, Bennett, etc. is on this team.

It’s ironic because the question exists because Mercer is soft and inconsistent and generally a passenger on this team. But it will never be said by resident edgelord. Need to see a lot more from him in every way.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The arguments are tedious but I don’t think it’s weird to ask who the Brouwer, Killorn, Kunitz, Bennett, etc. is on this team.

It’s ironic because the question exists because Mercer is soft and inconsistent and generally a passenger on this team. But it will never be said by resident edgelord. Need to see a lot more from him in every way.
The question exists because of 1 22 year old player in his 3rd year that has been relegated to the bottom 6?

If that is remotely true we are in shit load of trouble.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I am hopeful that the Devils just start the year with a reputation that they cannot be bullied. I think that will go a long way towards not seeing a collapse.
Ya, the playbook on the Devils clearly became, beat them up. Not many teams could skate with us, so they were going to try to play us physically and slow us down. Not sure why, but Nico especially became a target.

I don't think teams will approach us with that same focus this season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ya, the playbook on the Devils clearly became, beat them up. Not many teams could skate with us, so they were going to try to play us physically and slow us down. Not sure why, but Nico especially became a target.

I don't think teams will approach us with that same focus this season.
Why wouldn't they? Nothing has changed...the guys that they need to slow down are the same and they got no help this off season from last year.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Oh and if speed is a skill...then so is size... both are basically raw physical attributes that some people have an others just don't.

Sorry, “size is a skill” is just goofy and skating is not “raw physical attributes”.

Good lord.

From the Black Book, this gives some specifics on what is skill and skating. (Size is separate under Misc, which makes sense.)

IMG_8395.jpeg

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Why wouldn't they? Nothing has changed...the guys that they need to slow down are the same and they got no help this off season from last year.
Nothing has changed.........except the additions of Dillon, Pesce, Cotter, Noeson. On average these guys are 6'2" 215 lbs. Each much more physical then the player they are replacing.

I also assume that our guys are hearing what Fitz is saying, and are putting in the work at the gym. Jack may be late to the gym party due to the shoulder, but I think we will begin to see him begin to fill out physically.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sorry, “size is a skill” is just goofy and skating is not “raw physical attributes”.

Good lord.

From the Black Book, this gives some specifics on what is skill and skating. (Size is separate under Misc, which makes sense.)

View attachment 893074
Speed is pretty much a raw attribute.

Skating is the skill.

There is some crossover, but I think we can agree there is a difference.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm good :laugh:

Nothing has changed.........except the additions of Dillon, Pesce, Cotter, Noeson. On average these guys are 6'2" 215 lbs. Each much more physical then the player they are replacing.

I also assume that our guys are hearing what Fitz is saying, and are putting in the work at the gym. Jack may be late to the gym party due to the shoulder, but I think we will begin to see him begin to fill out physically.
None of which will be around Nico, Jack Bratt and Meier when they are in the offensive zone and will be targeted physically.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Your narrow interpretation wouldn't include hitting/checking, board battles, down low/in traffic play, faceoffs, or really aspect of defense either.

Regardless, if playersA is more skilled than player B, but player B consistently scores more points than player A what the hell are we talking about other than stylistic points?

Either your interpretation of "skill" is wrong or at the very least incomplete, or it's completely meaningless.
We lost the context here. I was responding originally to your statement about skill which did not imply the secondary stuff you listed above. Again, without agreed upon definitions you can't really discuss these things properly. We are just posting past each other.

Reactions: Nubmer6

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm good :laugh:

None of which will be around Nico, Jack Bratt and Meier when they are in the offensive zone and will be targeted physically.
Meier doesn't need protection.

Either Pesce or Dillon will likely be on the ice more then 60% of the time.

And I think Noesen or Cotter will get a chance to play some top 6 minutes.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Not sure how Jack is going to get much stronger with a shoulder that is healing. He needs to get stronger at some point but he has been injury prone his entire career here so hard to see it changing right now.

Camille the Eel

We lost the context here. I was responding originally to your statement about skill which did not imply the secondary stuff you listed above. Again, without agreed upon definitions you can't really discuss these things properly. We are just posting past each other.
What’s the old adage about getting into a pissing match with a skunk? Not a good idea.

Another one I heard is never argue with a fool. Eventually people won’t be able to tell the difference.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The original context was Florida's top 6 is bigger and stronger than ours and doesn't give up much in skill if any at all.

I don't think we are speaking past each other...
You would say Bratt is inherently more skilled than M. Tkachuk...I wouldn't.

Skill in the common vernacular has seemed to become slick moves at high speeds... I don't see it that way.

They are a lot of professional archery trick shooters. Some can knock an aspirin out of the air...they can dazzle a crowd... I never met one that can beat an average tournament shooter in an archery competition. I see parallels to this discussion.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not sure how Jack is going to get much stronger with a shoulder that is healing. He needs to get stronger at some point but he has been injury prone his entire career here so hard to see it changing right now.
Strengthening around the injured joint is standard in recovery from surgery.

Physical therapy will hopefully be a jump off point for Jack.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Definitely an intriguing player. I doubt he’ll be “good” but he should be entertaining in the way Miles Wood was.
Fitz said the same thing

"Adding a guy like Paul Cotter, who we believe has upside and has a little bit of Miles Wood in him, he can skate, he's physical. The pieces and the identity that we were looking for," he said.

But it is interesting that he says the identity we are looking for is skating and physical.... almost like that's what he means by hard to play against :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad