Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I just want to watch this team play some good hockey again. The 2022/23 season was so fun, then last year was an absolute shit-show. Let's get back to the fun
IMG_5660.jpeg

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
This playing hard against debate is so f***ing annoying, there's teams that would kill for our speed (Islanders are a prime example) yet some are obsessed with brutes on the ice. You get slower by doing that, we saw last year that NJ can't get slower just for the sake of it to get heavier. They have to be good hockey players as well, Florida has shown that time and time again the past year and a half.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Ooo I missed a 3 page debate on Nico and bratt and hard to play against.

I think at least the Nico/Bratt slander has to end. Nico and bratt go hard into the corners and behind the goal line just as much as many guys in the league to dig out and win a puck battle.

In fact that is literally Nicos bread and butter game down low, he will draw guys to him and out work the puck from the corner.

We are back to regular season mode already....

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Someone hurry up and tell Brett Pesce that he's dumb as shit for thinking Bratt, Jack, and Nico are hard to play against.
You ever go to a new company and all the mid level managers keep saying words and phrases the CEO said in a presentation.... like it's a mission and they will be scored on it in their employee development plan...

Dillion muttered the words we were tough to play against too...

Kind of weird the new guys are regurgitating the exact same phrase Fitz has for more than a year now. Only took them a day to read the employee handbook.

Glad I don't work anymore :laugh:

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I think we have a great balance now

Noesen Cotter Meier should all be on separate lines and will provide oomph and protection

Not to mention Mac and Kov in some games and of course Dillon will provide OOMPH

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ooo I missed a 3 page debate on Nico and bratt and hard to play against.

I think at least the Nico/Bratt slander has to end. Nico and bratt go hard into the corners and behind the goal line just as much as many guys in the league to dig out and win a puck battle.

In fact that is literally Nicos bread and butter game down low, he will draw guys to him and out work the puck from the corner.

We are back to regular season mode already....
Jack too....the soft serve trio.

But my whole point is that we need another more physical presence for the top 6. .. because our top 6 is incredibly soft.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
You ever go to a new company and all the mid level managers keep saying words and phrases the CEO said in a presentation.... like it's a mission and they will scored on it in their employee development plan...

Dillion muttered the words we were tough to play against too...

Kind of weird the new guys are regurgitating the exact same phrase Fitz has for more than a year now. Only took them a day to read the employee handbook.

Jack Hughes can make Brendan Dillon look foolish on a shift easily while Pesce could made look like a fool by a guy like Bratt due to their speed. It's a give and take. They're not just gonna bad mouth a fellow player in the league that's actually good lol

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think we have a great balance now

Noesen Cotter Meier should all be on separate lines and will provide oomph and protection

Not to mention Mac and Kov in some games and of course Dillon will provide OOMPH

Noesen and Cotter don't do anything to help the top 6. That's where we need the help the most

Well, hopefully neither of them is in the top 6....that would be gross.

Jack Hughes can make Brendan Dillon look foolish on a shift easily
When his shoulder is not hurt.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What is the debate about though?

We should get another talented productive power forward/physical winger for the top 6?

Ok. Sure.

I don’t think Fitz and Co disagree but there aren’t a ton of those players.

He got one with Meier. We could have tried to draft one with our 1st this year but we got a defenseman instead. Fitz kicks the tires on every trade opportunity, more moves will happen eventually.

And Ottawa has zero reason to trade Tkachuk.

If this is just hand-wringing about our current team, those people can wring their hands I guess.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
What is the debate about though?

We should get another talented productive power forward/physical winger for the top 6?

Ok. Sure.

I don’t think Fitz and Co disagree but there aren’t a ton of those players.

He got one with Meier. We could have tried to draft one with our 1st this year but we got a defenseman instead. Fitz kicks the tires on every trade opportunity, more moves will happen eventually.

And Ottawa has zero reason to trade Tkachuk.

If this is just hand-wringing about our current team, those people can wring their hands I guess.

Brady would be a worse fit with Jack, he shoots more than Timo and we've seen how that worked out. Jack would set up Brady to walk in on a shot and he'd shoot it from the half boards and make them turn in transition about 3-4 times a game. I actually think Jack just needs an effective shooter. I mentioned Bjorkstrand yesterday but don't think that will happen with Seattle actually "trying" to be good

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I have a confession. My newest man crush is Dougie Hamilton. The guy is such a goof and it feels like he completely embraced NJ and the Devils. I rank him up there with DJ Zubrus.

Does he volunteer to do 80% of the Devils press releases videos?

We are in a golden era of personalities but Dougie is the cream of the crop.

I recommend checking out the Devils schedule drop.

This was more brilliant than half the stuff they'll nominate for Oscars this year.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Noesen and Cotter don't do anything to help the top 6. That's where we need the help the most

Well, hopefully neither of them is in the top 6....that would be gross.

When his shoulder is not hurt.
I actually think we will be seeing the both of them getting some chances on a top 6 spot at times

Noesen is a 48 goal scorer in the AHL and has great numbers the last two seasons with limited mins

Cotter also has solid numbers in his limited
Mins

Maybe they blossom like how Palmieri did when given the opportunity

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Pesce's reaction to being told that Jim really thinks his new teammates are soft:

you-were-serious-about-that.gif
The whole league knows it...lol. if we can't skate around you there really is no plan B

🎶Let me sing you a story about a guy named Jim,

Who argues in circles, likes to reel you in,

But if you give him a bourbon, and with some archerrrrrrryyyyyyy…

You’ll eat venison burgers for weeks on for free…🎶
I'm having a hard time hearing the melody? Is this to the Beverly Hillbillies theme song?

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Jack too....the soft serve trio.

But my whole point is that we need another more physical presence for the top 6. .. because our top 6 is incredibly soft.

I'll give you Jack, but not Nico (and not much of Bratt)

Bratt is also not purely perimeter either. He works really hard in the corners and has gained strength over the last few years and is effective for his size, down low. He often generates nice passes from below the goal line to a guy who puts it away after grinding it out cycling behind the net.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
@JimEIV

Also, Florida just won with Rodrigues and Verhaegae on their top 6. They are good players but nothing special, they just work well with the Panthers top 6 stars. Would anyone be surprised for a Noesen or Cotter to become a 25 goal scorer playing with Jack Bratt or Nico?

I wouldn’t be. Its all about finding good chemistry.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Meier...There's one...of 6

Palat is one of those "vanilla bottom 6 players" Fitz referenced in his press conference...and he really shouldn't be anywhere near the top 6...a guy that hasn't scored 20 goals since Obama was president has no business business being near our best players.

Palat was a desperation signing at the time because we missed out on the vanilla midget Johnny (can't play) hockey

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad