Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
With the forwards currently I still have similar but bigger issues with the forward group I had last year. I liked the top 9 but felt the depth was lacking and we didn’t really have guys I’d feel comfortable with moving up. That’s more apparent with this group with worse depth and top 9

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Well, with Palat's contract that never stopped us from doing anything, if this is all we could do to finish out the roster, so be it.

I assume we sign Mercer + Foote and then trade Bastian to a team like Anaheim or anyone else needs to make the floor with a meaningless pick attached and roll into the year that way

With the forwards currently I still have similar but bigger issues with the forward group I had last year. I liked the top 9 but felt the depth was lacking and we didn’t really have guys I’d feel comfortable with moving up. That’s more apparent with this group with worse depth

Yeah, it seems like they wanted Marchessault and once they missed on him, they're just relying on their defense + Markstrom to get them to the deadline in a playoff spot and then make a move from there to shore up the offense. The top 9 should be good but agreed on depth

Reactions: Hisch13r

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Well, with Palat's contract that never stopped us from doing anything, if this is all we could do to finish out the roster, so be it.
I would look to add this guy.

IMG_1952.jpeg

He had the 12th highest xG impact in the whole league. The player?
Ondrej Palat

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I assume we sign Mercer + Foote and then trade Bastian to a team like Anaheim or anyone else needs to make the floor with a meaningless pick attached and roll into the year that way

Yeah, it seems like they wanted Marchessault and once they missed on him, they're just relying on their defense + Markstrom to get them to the deadline in a playoff spot and then make a move from there to shore up the offense. The top 9 should be good but agreed on depth

I’d really like one more add. I’ve thought we needed 3 forwards

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think our depth issue is all that unique compared to other top team's around the league. Same with cap gymnastics.

It's not ideal at all, but part of it is the price of super beefing up our blueline.

Fitz should be looking to sign some AHL centers that you could slot into an emergency 4th line role if needed.

But we are probably going to have to rent a center and that kind of deal might not materialize until closer to the deadline

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Tatar-Hischier-Bratt/Mercer was an elite matchup line. I expect to see a lot of that again. He is a puck hound that accomplishes a lot of what a more physical forechecker would do just in a different style. This addition makes the top-9 good enough to piece it together until the trade deadline. We can figure out something else then. Hard to do much better than this with the space we had. The $5 million extra we spent turning Marino and Bahl into Pesce and Dillon needs to pay off to make up for the rest. I think it will, but I definitely would have hoped for a better forward addition this time last week than Tatar, Noesen, and Cotter. Here's hoping it works out.

There's also an alternate reality where Tatar accepts our deal last year and we never traded for Toffoli. Who knows if that one is better or worse.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't think our depth issue is all that unique compared to other top team's around the league. Same with cap gymnastics.

It's not ideal at all, but part of it is the price of super beefing up our blueline.

Fitz should be looking to sign some AHL centers that you could slot into an emergency 4th line role if needed.

But we are probably going to have to rent a center and that kind of deal might not materialize until closer to the deadline

Even if you want to say the overall depth isn’t lacking the center depth unquestionably is

Tatar-Hischier-Bratt/Mercer was an elite matchup line. I expect to see a lot of that again. He is a puck hound that accomplishes a lot of what a more physical forechecker would do just in a different style. This addition makes the top-9 good enough to piece it together until the trade deadline. We can figure out something else then. Hard to do much better than this with the space we had. The $5 million extra we spent turning Marino and Bahl into Pesce and Dillon needs to pay off to make up for the rest. I think it will, but I definitely would have hoped for a better forward addition this time last week than Tatar, Noesen, and Cotter. Here's hoping it works out.

There's also an alternate reality where Tatar accepts our deal last year and we never traded for Toffoli. Who knows if that one is better or worse.

I think that line with Meier should be great too.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
If he isn't dumped in the summer they probably try to find someone to take him in season to clear room for a deadline move
Mark me down as thinking that Nate has a career year incoming. Losing all last summer of training because of shoulder rehab kind of torpedoed his year. Having friend McLeod plucked from the team didn’t help either

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Even if you want to say the overall depth isn’t lacking the center depth unquestionably is

I think that line with Meier should be great too.

I straight up said if was lacking but we are capped out. A rental is probably the only way to add a true NHL forward and won't happen unless someone is on LTIR or if we send a contract out

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Honestly they should have brought back Nosek, I get that he struggled but he was really valuable once he got healthy. Would have been cheap.

Maybe he wanted a fresh start somewhere. Or maybe Dano requested they not have Nosek and Noesen on the same team, idk.
Or maybe he just wasn’t nearly good enough to waste another roster spot on.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If nothing else I’d like Nylander as an extra who can fill in for the top 6 if one of the scorers goes down. Would prefer to try that out over just moving a 3rd liner up

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Some center depth would be nice if we could manage that somehow. Only way that’s possible now is through a trade or if they’re willing to send someone to the AHL (MacDermid, Bastian). Could have up to 2M in space if they do so, depending on Foote and Mercer’s contracts.

Otherwise as things stand

Bratt Hughes Mercer
Tatar Hischier Meier
Palat Haula Noesan
Cotter Lazar Bastian
(Foote, MacDermid)

Siegenthaler Hamilton
Hughes Pesce
Dillon Nemec
(Kovacevic)

Markstrom
Allen

Need an Oprah gif passing out 4th liners...

A 4th liner for every line!
Stop baiting again there’s not a single 4th liner in that top 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad