Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I gotta say.. I am falling back in love with Fitz.

Since Fitz took over in January of 2020. The job he's done with the defense has just been spectacular...Fitz has reinvented this defense at 3 times now...after coming in with worse than nothing..the defense was utter dog shit. .

We had no real defensive prospects. Certainly none in Binghamton... Josh Jacobs was probably the best NHL ready prospect in 2020... We had just gotten Bahl in the Hall deal so there was that...he was easily our best defensive prospect at the time. Okhotyuk was still junior with the Ottawa 67's that year.

The big club had Andy Greene, Damon Severson, PK Subban, Micro Mueller, Will Butcher, Sami Vatanen, Connor Carrick, Mat Tennyson.... how's that for a shit bomb...

He immediately traded Greene to the Islanders, Vatanen to Carolina... Brought in Kulikov and Murray in the off season for the 2020-21 season...He drafts Muk at #20 that year...reinvent part 1

At the end of the 2020-21 season he trades for Siegenthaler. He drafts Luke Hughes in 2021 at #4 overall and he signs Graves and Hamilton for the 2021-22 season. 2022 draft he drafts Simone Nemec #2 overall. Reinvent part 2

Summer of 2023 Severson and Graves walk...Luke and Nemec are added. Summer of 2024 drafts Silayev #10 overall and Pesce and Dillon are added ... Reinvent part 3.

This is incredible...just an incredible job at building through the draft while simultaneously supplementing through trades and Free Agency. Just a great job.
is this elaborate, over-my-head satire? I thought you loathed these moves lol

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Since Fitz took over in January of 2020. The job he's done with the defense has just been spectacular...Fitz has reinvented this defense at 3 times now...after coming in with worse than nothing..the defense was utter dog shit. .

We had no real defensive prospects. Certainly none in Binghamton... Josh Jacobs was probably the best NHL ready prospect in 2020... We had just gotten Bahl in the Hall deal so there was that...he was easily our best defensive prospect at the time. Okhotyuk was still junior with the Ottawa 67's that year.

The big club had Andy Greene, Damon Severson, PK Subban, Micro Mueller, Will Butcher, Sami Vatanen, Connor Carrick, Mat Tennyson.... how's that for a shit bomb...

He immediately traded Greene to the Islanders, Vatanen to Carolina... Brought in Kulikov and Murray in the off season for the 2020-21 season...He drafts Muk at #20 that year...reinvent part 1

At the end of the 2020-21 season he trades for Siegenthaler. He drafts Luke Hughes in 2021 at #4 overall and he signs Graves and Hamilton for the 2021-22 season. 2022 draft he drafts Simone Nemec #2 overall. Reinvent part 2

Summer of 2023 Severson and Graves walk...Luke and Nemec are added. Summer of 2024 drafts Silayev #10 overall and Pesce and Dillon are added ... Reinvent part 3.

This is incredible...just an incredible job at building through the draft while simultaneously supplementing through trades and Free Agency. Just a great job.

I don't know what's going on, but I'm very uncomfortable

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba

Next order of business will be to replenish the forward group both at the NHL level and in the prospect pool. He’s done a great job with the D so I’m hopeful he can get creative to improve the depth up front.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think we're going to get a middle 6 wing via trade. Past Tarasenko and maybe Sprong, there isn't much left out there.

then hopefully you can dump Bastian for a 2028 7th or something to clear that $1.35 mill

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
is this elaborate, over-my-head satire? I thought you loathed these moves lol
I've always praised Fitz Defense moves. From very early on... from Kulikov and Murray....

I got very critical of him letting Graves and Severson walk for Nemec, Luke and Bahl...I still think it was a bad decision and I think it was a major reason for the crap season we just had...not totally but a big reason.

But there is something to be said for his ability to immediately address the mistake and fix the problem...hence the falling back in love.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean everyone told you he wasn’t going to just dump Marino, Bahl and Smith without replacing them all to begin with, the season didn’t start on Saturday afternoon and we aren’t the old Arizona Coyotes on a shoestring

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I mean everyone told you he wasn’t going to just dump Marino, Bahl and Smith without replacing them all to begin with, the season didn’t start on Saturday afternoon and we aren’t the old Arizona Coyotes on a shoestring
Lz2IDA.gif

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think it it's more than just that...that I am finding admiration for...

You look at the adds Kulikov, Murray, Siegenthaler, Graves, Hamilton, Pesce and Dillon...

And Intertwined in all those adds are amazing draft picks...Shakir Mukhamadullin, Luke Hughes, Seamus Casey, Simon Nemec, Anton Silayev...

Today I noticed that it's not just the Free Agent shopping and replacements... it's the building that is going on simultaneously that I sort of didn't realize was happening in real time. It's impossible not to notice the draft picks but I never considered it in total.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Fitz' signings are light years ahead of Lou's.

Remember when he tried to convince us that Rachunek would replace Rafalski? Lou's FA signings in the cap era here were f***ing pants.

Imo, Lou fell apart when the team needed to rebuild and he refused to. He was great before that

Reactions: My3Sons

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Defense and Goaltending are locked up, will be interesting to see how they finish off the forwards with a little under $7M and the Mercer extension still to be done. With the Right side being locked up for at least the next 4 seasons with Hamilton-Pesce-Nemec I wonder if there's a potential swap of Casey for a similarly talented ELC forward that's ready for a top 9 role?

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Defense and Goaltending are locked up, will be interesting to see how they finish off the forwards with a little under $7M and the Mercer extension still to be done. With the Right side being locked up for at least the next 4 seasons with Hamilton-Pesce-Nemec I wonder if there's a potential swap of Casey for a similarly talented ELC forward that's ready for a top 9 role?

I think Casey for Mcgroarty makes a lot of sense tbh. I am not sure what WPG's needs are though.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
tumblr_mnfe79Ntz51qj6t2bo1_500.gif

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Not familiar with mcgroarty game

Seems like everyone is high on him ?

Any one got cliff notes about his game ?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Imo, Lou fell apart when the team needed to rebuild and he refused to. He was great before that
Refuse to?
He didn't really get a chance to rebuild. Not saying he would have...but there really was no window there.

2012 finals....2013 a scramble to replace Parise... 2013 Kovalchuck gets freaky and his Mom starts tweeting...

2014 is really the first real opportunity to begin a rebuild in my opinion...and you can argue he begins it with going out and getting Schneider...it was definitely a poor decision...

End of 2015 he was gone.

I don't know where or when he refused to rebuild? But I don't think he ever had the opportunity.

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Refuse to?
He didn't really get a chance to rebuild.

2012 finals....2013 a scramble to replace Parise... 2013 Kovalchuck gets freaky and his Mom starts tweeting...

2014 is really the first real opportunity to begin a rebuild in my opinion...and you can argue he begins it with going out and getting Schneider...it was definitely a poor decision...

2015 he was gone.

I don't know where or when he refused to rebuild? But I don't think he ever had the opportunity.

there he is, he is back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad