Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Definitely feels like they've completely shifted the identity of the team. Big 4 are going to be under a ton of pressure to carry that offensive load. Hopefully they all stay healthy this year.

I think they can do it, as long as they don't bleed chances / goals against. It'd be hard to carry that.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think they can do it, as long as they don't bleed chances / goals against. It'd be hard to carry that.

I think it really depends on what the forwards added and potential TDL forwards/Gritsyuk do. Like sure our defense and goaltending should be better than what the Leafs have had but it feels similar to what they had where the big 4 had to carry the entire offensive load since their depth scoring was so lacking. I compare what our 5-8 forward group looks like to Florida and it’s so lacking. Comparing Rodrigues, Taraseno, Lundell, and Bennett to Mercer, Haula, Palat, UFA/trade add is bleak

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I think it really depends on what the forwards added and potential TDL forwards/Gritsyuk do. Like sure our defense and goaltending should be better than what the Leafs have had but it feels similar to what they had where the big 4 had to carry the entire offensive load since their depth scoring was so lacking. I compare what our 5-8 forward group looks like to Florida and it’s so lacking. Comparing Rodrigues, Taraseno, Lundell, and Bennett to Mercer, Haula, Palat, UFA/trade add is bleak

I don't disagree, but I think (if it's not this year), we have a much better defense than the Leafs, not just defensively but offense too. That counts.

Hamilton, Hughes, Nemec

The leafs had...Reilly and that's pretty much it and I think Luke probably surpasses him alone this upcoming season tbh

Would not be surprised if Fitz is looking at it as the big 4 + Hamilton, Luke, Nemec as the offensive drivers. Fill out rest of the roster with defense/size whatever.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't disagree, but I think (if it's not this year), we have a much better defense than the Leafs, not just defensively but offense too. That counts.

I do agree with that too. I think a big issue with their D even after they started to improve it and I think it got really underrated the one thing they really lacked was puck moving. Marino for Pesce is a puck moving downgrade though. Like I do think we’re better positioned than the Leafs I’m drawing similarities to but I still question if our offense will be good enough. Need to see exactly how the moves shake out first.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Hamilton, Hughes, Nemec

The leafs had...Reilly and that's pretty much it and I think Luke probably surpasses him alone this upcoming season tbh

Would not be surprised if Fitz is looking at it as the big 4 + Hamilton, Luke, Nemec as the offensive drivers. Fill out rest of the roster with defense/size whatever.

It does seem like he wants a top 6 add so I think he’s looking for some more offense there. I think I’d prefer 2 really quality middle 6 pieces over a top 6 one though

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Would anyone be interested if some picks were offered for vatrano? Good middle 6 wing option and only makes 3.65 million and is on an expiring deal. How much more than one of the second rounders would it cost?

I really feel strongly that Mercer is going to bounce back in a big way. It would really shock me if he had another year like this past one the way he works.

I feel like Keefe will love him.
I completely agree. I’m shocked to see how down most people are on Mercer after one miserable year. It’s like everyone’s given up on him ever being a top 6 winger, but I think he can be a 30-30 guy at some point by the time he’s 25.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
It does seem like he wants a top 6 add so I think he’s looking for some more offense there. I think I’d prefer 2 really quality middle 6 pieces over a top 6 one though

I just don't know how it'd work with the cap, unless he's planning to go like Cotter on 3rd line and Foote on 4th line

Meier - Nico - Mercer
x - Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Haula - Cotter(?)
Foote - Lazar - Bastian

That bottom 6 is garbage. I'd rather play Palat on 2nd line and massively upgrade the bottom 6 and keep Cotter on 4th line

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I just don't know how it'd work with the cap, unless he's planning to go like Cotter on 3rd line and Foote on 4th line

Meier - Nico - Mercer
x - Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Haula - Cotter(?)
Foote - Lazar - Bastian

That bottom 6 is garbage. I'd rather play Palat on 2nd line and massively upgrade the bottom 6 and keep Cotter on 4th line

Yeah it’s going to be really really rough. Probably somehow worse than last years shit show. I cannot handle top 6 Palat or Haula again though lol. Gimme back Henrique at least so it’s not them

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Would anyone be interested if some picks were offered for vatrano? Good middle 6 wing option and only makes 3.65 million and is on an expiring deal. How much more than one of the second rounders would it cost?

Vatrano could be a good solution for top 6 winger and cheap. Don't know what it'd take to get him though

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I really feel strongly that Mercer is going to bounce back in a big way. It would really shock me if he had another year like this past one the way he works.

I feel like Keefe will love him.
if he's in the bottom 6 all year he won't "bounce back"

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Yeah it’s going to be really really rough. Probably somehow worse than last years shit show. I cannot handle top 6 Palat or Haula again though lol. Gimme back Henrique at least so it’s not them

Meier - Nico - Mercer
Palat - Hughes - Bratt
x - Haula - x
Cotter - Lazar - Bastian

I like the look of this more tbh. Ideally we have a good 4th line but most teams don't so it's whatever, but that 3rd line needs massive upgrade

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I see it as one spot in the top six is open. Hischier and Hughes in the middle are set. Bratt, Meier, and Mercer to me are the wings. So one spot, with Palat and Haula dropping to the third line. Would like an upgrade for their wing. The rest can make a much, much, MUCH better fourth line that can play hockey.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I see it as one spot in the top six is open. Hischier and Hughes in the middle are set. Bratt, Meier, and Mercer to me are the wings. So one spot, with Palat and Haula dropping to the third line. Would like an upgrade for their wing. The rest can make a much, much, MUCH better fourth line that can play hockey.

I doubt we can get anyone in ufa for both top 6 and 3rd line winger. Not enough cap space. A trade maybe

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Meier - Nico - Mercer
Palat - Hughes - Bratt
x - Haula - x
Cotter - Lazar - Bastian

I like the look of this more tbh. Ideally we have a good 4th line but most teams don't so it's whatever, but that 3rd line needs massive upgrade

I’d want something like Henrique, Boqvist, Lizotte. Throw Henrique with Hughes-Bratt. Good finisher and decent defensive presence who can also take some faceoffs for Jack. Palat-Haula-Boqvist was really good together a couple years ago. Lizotte as the 4C to get Lazar back where he belongs as a 4th line wing. I think something like this could be feasible even with the limited cap room.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2