Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It's going to be tough to squeeze in two more forwards via free agency. But I don't know who we have in our pool who realistically can slide into a 3rd line role. We thought it was going to be Holtz or Clarke but obviously those arent options anymore.

I'm not very confident about having Cotter take 3rd line duties and Foote sliding into the 4th line.
I think we’ll almost certainly sign 2.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
It's june 30. The 2024 development camp starts today. Is there any posting of the roster? There has always been such in the past, but I can't find one anywhere.

The draft was the big talk. It's over and nothing has been posted about the development camp other than it started today. I know I'm interested in keeping up with it, but I can't do it if nobody in NJ is gonna help out.

Thanx!
I looked everywhere for the last ten minutes and couldn’t find anything. Everything just said they’ll release who’s attending at a later date. Pretty weird considering it starts today lol.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Holy crap its also shorter the normal, earlier then normal and I havent seen anything about it.

I guess they decided not to make it as big of a deal as they have in the past.

Last year it started July 10th. It's pretty strange to have it start 1 day before free agency.

Jondre91

Jul 1, 2017
dillon 2.5x3
pesce 6x6
mercer 3x2
nosek 1
foote 1

13.5 spent

6.2 left over for ufa forwards
so do you think we will go for 1 signing or split the left overs with 2 signings

skinner 3x2
sprong 3x3

or
Monahan 5x5

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I wonder what Foegele ends up getting…wouldn’t go too high on him but we could definitely use his speed. He even found his way next to McDavid in the finals so maybe he’s a guy you can throw with Jack to see what happens.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I wouldnt claim to know about prospects but some of these trades are confusing from an asset management prospective. I’m willing to wait and see what happens with the UFA.

Literally none of this matters. The only thing that matters is Jack recovering his shoulder to a real 100% and getting in the weight room, working with trainers/medical staff. All of their focus needs to be on him preparing to not be a contact adverse player. If that doesn’t happen, this is all meaningless and the team is completely screwed. Literally nothing else matters.

Holtz, for better or worse, completely fell out of favor with this regime and his value was rock bottom sadly. Rumor is we tried to include him in the Meier and Markstrom deals and both teams passed. He was unplayable in a bottom 6 role so Fitz essentially flipped him for a player who can fill that role.

As for Schmid, I think they feel Daws is ahead of him on the depth chart and it wouldn’t be fair to keep both of them again so they moved him for something of value. We have a ton of goalies in the pipeline so I understand why they moved him when they could.

Jets just bought out Nate Schmidt, he could be an interesting bottom pair LD option if Dillon doesn't work out.

I thought the same when I saw he was bought out. His advanced numbers seem to show he's still a solid defender. Feel he'd work out just fine on the 3rd pair.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought today was the first day of development camp? I’ve seen nothing about it today, nor the roster for it. But they announced last week that it was the 30th-3rd.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
:(

I looked everywhere for the last ten minutes and couldn’t find anything. Everything just said they’ll release who’s attending at a later date. Pretty weird considering it starts today lol.
:( Looks like we have both come up empty. Thanks for the info on your end.

Last edited:
Reactions: JK3

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
The only thing that sucks about Colton is that he has a full no trade clause that kicks in tomorrow. A full NTC may hurt his value and make Colorado more reticent to move him, though Friedman has stated previously that so far they have had exactly 0 interest in moving Manson

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Haven't watched him play really, any reason a team like CBJ wouldn't just keep trying to see if he works out?

11 goals in 23 games? What am I missing?

New regime, maybe just doesn't fit stylistically. Maybe they want to let the kids run full time next year. They spent a weird amount of time not playing guys like Kent Johnson last year, if I remember.

Hard to say how Waddle wants to build because Carolina is such an oddly run organization in general with a lot of hands in the cookie jar, but if Carolina is any indication, then I can see how that's just not a great fit.

Chicago is letting Raddysh walk

He is a great PKer. I would love him for the 4th line with Lazar and Cotter. Send Bastian to Siberia
I had the same thought when I saw that Raddysh wasn't getting a QO. I don't know what his market will be, but perfect example of a guy I'd see if I can sign to something like 1 year, 1.5 and let him and Bastian battle it out.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Chicago is letting Raddysh walk

He is a great PKer. I would love him for the 4th line with Lazar and Cotter. Send Bastian to Siberia
Cool thought but not gonna happen.

That being said I do feel like Bastian is just there at this point. Doesn’t seem to bring much. Was fun when him McLeod, and Wood were running around together. Now I’m not sure I want him as our 4RW or around past this final season on his contract.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
The only thing that sucks about Colton is that he has a full no trade clause that kicks in tomorrow. A full NTC may hurt his value and make Colorado more reticent to move him, though Friedman has stated previously that so far they have had exactly 0 interest in moving Manson
Offer them an ELC player and a 2 and I think they'd move him. They need cost controlled "talent". Stillman or Misyul and a 2.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
Cant afford Hayes or Sergachev and we have 2 goalies so Thompson is pointless
aren’t people on here talking about signing a forward for 3-5m? Hayes makes <4 and brings a lot to the table from what I’m seeing. Also getting a 2nd out of it

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Maybe he gets shipped out today!! Let's go Devils.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This is the lineup I came up with last night....

Bratt ($7.875)-Hischier ($7.25)-Meier ($8.8)
Colton ($4) - Hughes ($8)- Mercer ($4)
Palat ($6)- Haula ($3.15)- Amadio ($3)
Cotter ($0.775)- Lazar ($1) - Foote ($0.8)
MacDermid ($1.15), Bastian ($1.35)

Luke ($0.925)- Pesce ($6)
Siegenthaler ($3.4) - Hamilton ($9)
Dillon ($3) - Nemec ($0.918)
Desimone ($0.775)

Markstrom ($4.125)
Allen ($1.925)

Kovalchuk re-capture ($0.25)

Trade one of the 2nds for Colton. This leaves ~$600k in cap space if the math is right. Could also just waive Bastian and sign Raddysh for that 4th line spot instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad