Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I made a joke about Palat giving Stamkos some of his money to come here. I see it caused a debate about the legality of it. I understand this is my fault and I promise, in the future, I will make the same types of stupid jokes and not clarify that they are in fact, just stupid jokes. If you take them seriously going forward, this is on you.
Im not going to lie, 100% fooled me.

But after the stuff Ive seen on here before, NOTHING would surprise me

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
For tax reasons.... Yes.
IMG_4370.gif

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I made a joke about Palat giving Stamkos some of his money to come here. I see it caused a debate about the legality of it. I understand this is my fault and I promise, in the future, I will make the same types of stupid jokes and not clarify that they are in fact, just stupid jokes. If you take them seriously going forward, this is on you.
You shouldn't have explained it...in fact you should have antagonized it...

Palat shouldn't be so selfish!

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Isn't Kulikov gonna be bone dust soon particularly after that last season? 33 already, 34 by October.

Gotta go a little more youthful now.....
I think Fitz is wanting to really gun it these next two years to A.) maximize Nemec on his elc and B.) save his job so I don't see much reason not to sign an older player on a short term contract. I'd be surprised if Kulikov got more than 2 years.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I think Fitz is wanting to really gun it these next two years to A.) maximize Nemec on his elc and B.) save his job so I don't see much reason not to sign an older player on a short term contract. I'd be surprised if Kulikov got more than 2 years.

If Kulikov is our Brendan Smith replacement... Maybe I can warm up to it again. Never got the feeling Kulikov cared about our team, but it was a weird time then (and maybe its just my perception).

Reactions: Rhodes 81

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
This team really needs to find that Patrick Sharp, Chris Kunitz or Zach Hyman for Jack.

Just seems like such a glaring hole on the roster now that the net and defense are basically what they are.

The Sid thing is something I've mentioned before with Jack. We might be in the time period where Sid had no one but JAG UFA's and trade deadline acquisitions for him until they land on a Guentzel type due to development. It's probably why they're taking these ridiculous built power forwards in the draft and hoping one sticks with him and Bratt

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Fitzgerald shit talking Holtz has nothing to do with the return. Do you really think teams pay attention to that stuff? It's all about a team that thinks Holtz can help them, and there just aren't many teams that think that, because Holtz has not shown much ability to do anything during his time in the NHL.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Fitzgerald shit talking Holtz has nothing to do with the return. Do you really think teams pay attention to that stuff? It's all about a team that thinks Holtz can help them, and there just aren't many teams that think that, because Holtz has not shown much ability to do anything during his time in the NHL.
SJ, reportedly passed on him in the Meier trade, CGY passed on him as well...likely twice but def once for Markstrom. Team sweden cut him from a pretty poor world championship roster. Holtz having no value has been a thing for a while now. Like you said highly doubt it has anything to do with Fitzy's comments

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I agree with a lot of this. I'm with you that I'd rather Fitz look forward than backward. He should be proactive, not reactive. Which is why I'm fine moving on from Holtz and Schmid, if you don't have a spot for them year then why bother hanging on? Just rip the band-aid off and get it over with.

I just think that these attempts to plug certain holes are opening up larger, more valuable holes elsewhere. 18 months ago we had surplus talent, now we're having trouble icing a full top-12. This didn't happen over night, we've slowly been bleeding skill for a bit now. We're getting slower and more simple, and I don't think that's the right direction to go in after committing to Jack, Nico, and Bratt as the core.

I'm not expecting +50 wins every year. I'm fine with getting more physical, but getting "harder to play against" shouldn't come at the cost of what made you a great team. It looks to me like they're banking way, way too hard on Jack carrying this forward group and I just think that's a losing strategy.

The reason the Devils have been bleeding skill is that they had pretty lousy 2018, 2019, and 2020 drafts. I'd love to have a team that can just keep reloading year after year but that is not what the Devils have, sadly, they have drafted like absolute shit at forward. Gritsyuk should be good, everyone else is lousy. This is where not having those 2nd round picks in 2018, 2019, and 2020 comes in - we should have a decent forward out of those drafts that we're missing.

They don't have forwards in the system so the alternative is what they're doing. I just don't see the Devils looking at the Panthers, a team that ditched Brunette hockey to win the Cup, and saying that's how we're going to win is with tons and tons of speed. It's just not possible on this roster anymore.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Sprong and foegele are nowhere near the same thing. Sprong is a selfish shitty teammate and foegle is actualy a productive teammate

They weren't mutually exclusive, I just wanted someone to play in the top 6 as a placeholder with Jack and Bratt till the trade deadline at this rate and won't look out of place

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Pesce (it's pretty much done even though I prefer Roy)
Dillon
Henrique
Sprong/Foegle type
These signings would fit really well with the current NJ lineup, with Foegele my preference over Sprong. With both Toffoli and Holtz departing, that’s 42 goals we need replacing. Henrique (24) and Foegele (20) is a good moneyball approach to replace those goals.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
This team really needs to find that Patrick Sharp, Chris Kunitz or Zach Hyman for Jack.

Just seems like such a glaring hole on the roster now that the net and defense are basically what they are.
I believe it will be Mercer if we don't give up on him. If we do, I fully believe he will go to another team who has a Mcdavid, Mackinnon, Matthews or Crosby and turn into one of those guys.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I processed a bit. The thing that sucks is we tanked holtz and schmids value. It's POSSIBLE they're both average and we end up winning the trade. The issue is "what if we were wrong"? What if Lindy and our goaltending coaches just sucked and we got suckered in this deal?

Ultimately they didn't fit with us based on what we have and we end up net positive... I just hate potential sellers remorse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad