Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He's awesome.

giphy.webp

giphy.webp
IMG_7006.jpeg

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Casey + 2nd is what I assume our offer was for Askarov?

I was prepared to be annoyed that we didn’t get him, but SJ is hoping for an early 1st, just outside the top 10. Or, even better, an unprotected 2026 1st. I don’t think Casey moves the needle here. They would have wanted Silayev or Mercer.

Edit: apparently it was Vegas’s 1st. Okay, I’m a little annoyed, but whatever

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I was prepared to be annoyed that we didn’t get him, but SJ is hoping for an early 1st, just outside the top 10. Or, even better, an unprotected 2026 1st. I don’t think Casey moves the needle here. They would have wanted Silayev or Mercer.

Indeed, I posted that before the details came out so that's on me a bit lol. But yeah, I don't disagree that something big from us would've had to move the needle. I'm sure Fitz just did his due diligence and Trotz asked for something absurd (within his right to do so) and that's where the convo went

Reactions: Blackjack

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Not sure about that, but I do think that the offer is comparable to what they returned

I don’t think so. Solely based on Casey >> Vegas conditional 1st. Casey is a more known quantity that has done nothing but raise his value since being drafted. The Vegas pick is probably a late first. Edstrom looks like he could potentially establish some type of NHL career, so > 2nd round pick.

The ECHL goalie doesn’t do anything.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don’t think so. Solely based on Casey >> Vegas conditional 1st. Casey is a more known quantity that has done nothing but raise his value since being drafted. The Vegas pick is probably a late first. Edstrom looks like he could potentially establish some type of NHL career, so > 2nd round pick.

Just my opinion, I don’t think you can get the Vegas first round pick for Casey.

Casey has done great in college and I’m excited to see him this year but he’s still on the small side for a defender so a lot of the same questions about how could he transition to the NHL in the future remain.

I think teams would rather roll the dice on a late first round pick which has some potential to be a mid to early pick than lock in on Casey and have to worry if his size is too detrimental at the NHL level. I think a good AHL season this year will improve his stock in a way that his good college years just can’t.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Casey is not everyone's cup of tea.

6'3, 200+ pound middle six centers are pretty much everyone's cup of tea

Then you have the upside of the first versus the second.

Definitely think it's a comparable offer, but could easily see a team preferring the sharks offer

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Casey is not everyone's cup of tea.

6'3, 200+ pound middle six centers are pretty much everyone's cup of tea

Then you have the upside of the first versus the second.

Definitely think it's a comparable offer, but could easily see a team preferring the sharks offer
I thought the Sharks needed D more than forwards. Maybe they don't value Casey as much as we do, or we never offered him.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Just my opinion, I don’t think you can get the Vegas first round pick for Casey.

Casey has done great in college and I’m excited to see him this year but he’s still on the small side for a defender so a lot of the same questions about how could he transition to the NHL in the future remain.

I think teams would rather roll the dice on a late first round pick which has some potential to be a mid to early pick than lock in on Casey and have to worry if his size is too detrimental at the NHL level. I think a good AHL season this year will improve his stock in a way that his good college years just can’t.

To each their own. But I think Casey has a better chance at becoming an NHL player than an 18 year old at 25th overall

Reactions: Clam Jensen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad