Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I know a lot of you have a hate boner for chiclets because the idea of a podcast that doesn’t have 9-syllable statistics isn’t worth your time (and maybe a little bit because the hosts of chiclets remind you of the jocks in school who would stuff you in lockers) but dismissing them because they don’t take themselves too seriously is silly.

They’re all really, really well connected around the league. And while they don’t get everything right (who does?) they’re not nobodies.

I would point out saying Brady is forcing a trade to NJ makes no f***ing sense though.

If he bitched enough he might force his way out but he doesn’t have the leverage to pick and chose his exact destination. Ottawa would field offers from lots of teams.

Matt was an unsigned RFA, and year from UFA, and only willing to sign an extension with ~3 teams.

If you want to control your destiny more don’t sign a 8 year deal coming off an ELC.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
...this is a good one.

....it's still surreal that i was voted MVP of my junior high school football team as a FB.

i got to hold the ball right in the middle of the yearbook team photo... the QB was next to me. what a laugh.
I blocked for the MVP as a FB :laugh:
Dude how old are you? Aren’t those movies from like 2010? Do you even know what TikTok is grandpa?
I was still in my 20's when that movie debuted...just a matter of days...but still.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Gustavsson a fall back option maybe if they can't land Markstrom?

Hell of a gamble though. Shouldn't cost much, but I have no idea whether or not he's actually any good despite what he did 2 years ago.

He’s def a wildcard.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Gustavsson a fall back option maybe if they can't land Markstrom?

Hell of a gamble though. Shouldn't cost much, but I have no idea whether or not he's actually any good despite what he did 2 years ago.

Had him fantasy hockey for what it's worth, he'd have nights where he looked amazing and nights where he'd be the sole reason Wild lost games. Would probably the same thing we had but the potential is there for him long term imo. You'd have to pair him with a definite starter

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'd like to get Rossi out of Minny if that's a thing.
Why they would do this? I'm not against, he would be good third line center, but I don't see any reasons for them to trade him. I believe they hope Yurov will be good enough in few years to push Ek to the second line center and Rossi will be pushed to the third line center role or on the wing. If Yurov will not be good as center and will return to the wing, they need first line center. Hiedt doesnt look like a sure top-6 NHL center thing.

May be I missed some rumor?

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Re: Tkachuk

I would trade any combination of Casey, Holtz, any draft pick you could possibly think of, Schmid, Daws, Bahl... POSSIBLY Mercer.

I don't know if anything like that gets it done... if it's not enough then it's not meant to be. Absolutely no reason to even think about trading Bratt, Nemec, Luke, Nico... or anyone else.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Okay here's a dumb idea I had.

For clarification, this is not a rumor -- it's just a "hey, what about this?" babbling. If the Leafs are really going to shake things up and tell Tavares "we want to trade you", it seems to reason that Tavares wouldn't mind being traded here. Competitive team, familiar place to live, great place to raise a family, etc.

Would you give up a 2nd round pick for Tavares at 75% retained? So 1/8.25? Can't imagine he'll cost much more than that (can't imagine there are many teams positioned to take on 8.25 for a 2nd/3rd line player where he'd say yes), and he's kind of exactly what the Devils need in terms of veteran leadership, the way he plays, possession monster, great faceoff guy. He's not who he used to be, but still put up a respectable 65 points and nearly 30 goals last year. If it's a great season, maybe he stays on for a few years -- if not, handshake and part ways.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Okay here's a dumb idea I had.

For clarification, this is not a rumor -- it's just a "hey, what about this?" babbling. If the Leafs are really going to shake things up and tell Tavares "we want to trade you", it seems to reason that Tavares wouldn't mind being traded here. Competitive team, familiar place to live, great place to raise a family, etc.

Would you give up a 2nd round pick for Tavares at 75% retained? So 1/8.25? Can't imagine he'll cost much more than that (can't imagine there are many teams positioned to take on 8.25 for a 2nd/3rd line player where he'd say yes), and he's kind of exactly what the Devils need in terms of veteran leadership, the way he plays, possession monster, great faceoff guy. He's not who he used to be, but still put up a respectable 65 points and nearly 30 goals last year. If it's a great season, maybe he stays on for a few years -- if not, handshake and part ways.
I believe you are trying to say 25% retained? Also, Taveres has no reason to leave and I'd suspect he won't. He can just take the heat and not even worry about it. Marner seems like the only guy who would say yea, fine get me the hell out of here, but I'm picking where I'm going, if asked.

If Taveres does waive, he makes more sense in a place like Chicago, where he can mentor/ be sold off for more retained at the deadline.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I believe you are trying to say 25% retained? Also, Taveres has no reason to leave and I'd suspect he won't. He can just take the heat and not even worry about it. Marner seems like the only guy who would say yea, fine get me the hell out of here, but I'm picking where I'm going, if asked.

If Taveres does waive, he makes more sense in a place like Chicago, where he can mentor/ be sold off for more retained at the deadline.
Yeah I meant at 75% of his cap (so 25% retained), 1/8.25m.

I know that there are players of two mindsets. You hear them interview all the time. About half are in the "I don't care that you don't want me, it's in my contract and I'm staying." The other half are "I don't want to play somewhere I'm not wanted."

If he does agree to waive to a perfect situation, feels like he still wants a Stanley Cup. He's not getting that next year in Chicago.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Why they would do this? I'm not against, he would be good third line center, but I don't see any reasons for them to trade him. I believe they hope Yurov will be good enough in few years to push Ek to the second line center and Rossi will be pushed to the third line center role or on the wing. If Yurov will not be good as center and will return to the wing, they need first line center. Hiedt doesnt look like a sure top-6 NHL center thing.

May be I missed some rumor?
Someone posted some rumor that him and Gustafson or however it's spelled are available.

Reactions: Guadana

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Yeah I meant at 75% of his cap (so 25% retained), 1/8.25m.

I know that there are players of two mindsets. You hear them interview all the time. About half are in the "I don't care that you don't want me, it's in my contract and I'm staying." The other half are "I don't want to play somewhere I'm not wanted."

If he does agree to waive to a perfect situation, feels like he still wants a Stanley Cup. He's not getting that next year in Chicago.
Taveres doesn't strike me as someone who will make life choices based on getting the cup. Not a back handed knock on Toronto, but IMO, he just seems like the type of guy to want to be somewhere he wants to be and that's it.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Nemec for Brady, bro! Do the trade, bro! We had interview, Fitz, its an opportunity to change the culture, bro.

They are grown men. But I should give them all the credits. Nice way to monetize their stuff. They have their listeners.
G-money typing in “bro” twice fills me with joy. Life has color again.
I have the printed 8x10 ready to go. :laugh: Here's hoping he gets the reference!
IMG_3263.gif

———————————————————————————————————

Big Gus and Rossi-Spumante for Torpedo and Holtzwitzer. Change of scenery for everyone. Do it Dean.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I'd like to get Rossi out of Minny if that's a thing.

I don't really know what to do with Rossi's trade value. I feel like it will be more expensive than people think unless Minnesota is simply dedicated to getting away from him....but I'm kind of not certain that they aren't trying to get away ? Teams still give up some value for younger guys with pedigree.

Dach got pick 13 and a third and he was quite bad in Chicago. Newhook got what, 31 and 37 or something like that? Sandin got a first and Gustafsson ?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Someone posted some rumor that him and Gustafson or however it's spelled are available.
I don't understand why they would trade him. May be they believe in Heidt, Yurov and Ek as their center core, Rossi isn't skilled enough to be first line center, may be even first liner, but he has some real value.his numbers are really good, he scores 21 goal. The question is he has some potential as pk forward. Overall he looks like a smart positionallt and good secondary producing player. I just don't see a reason to trade him now for them. Only if they want to deal him for a solid package.

If we will compare him to Helenius or Nygard - I would prefer players from the draft. Even with their zero experience in nhl. Both are more skilled, more dangerous players. Both more skilled, both have good hockey iq. If we compare him to catton, I don't know what to thinking, Catton is look like more dangerous player but more as a winger. I still think Nygard will be available so I would prefer pick.
If we compare Holtz and Rossi, it should be Rossi. It should be Rossib over Holtz on the draft. Not because I wanted Rossi, I didn't. I wanted Quinn, Jarvis and Mercer by our 7th pick after Sanderson was gone. But Holtz was not my priority at all. But Holtz isn't enough to trade him for Rossi. I really like Casey and I don't want trade Holtz plus Casey for Rossi. One for one... I think a lot of fans don't want it and I believe its not enough for Wild. I would not trade Gritsyuk for Rossi because our left winger depth is thin and Gritsyuk is very dangerous and talented player.

Overall I just don't see why wild would trade him - Rossi is a solid player, young, under control, they still have problems with the cap.
But if he is really available, or Khusnutdiniv - Fitz should make a call and ask Guerin how he is looking at potential deal.

If Yurov is available, I would offer 10th pick + any of other prospects + Holtz except Gritsyuk. Or 10th pick/Holtz + Gritsyuk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad