Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Pretty brutal preseason. Kinda similar feelings to last year where many were ranking the Devils as a top team and we were all hyped up, only to get disappointed pretty quickly. This time we didn't even get into the regular season before we already had to lower our wildest expectations with bunch of doubt and questions in our minds.

Other than Dillon and Markström (and Casey obviously) , the new guys haven't looked good. Cotter has been terrible for how much he costed us. Every play seems to die in his hands. He dekes a guy and then gives away the puck with a terrible pass attempt or shot. So far he seems like a basic 4th line motor guy who we've had/have plenty of. I really hope he's just having early struggles with a new team/system/teammates, but if he doesn't step up his game multiple levels, I won't be surprised if Lazar outscores and outperforms him in every way. Noesen also looks like the Noesen we had few years ago instead of what he was in Carolina. Tatar has also looked meh so far, and right now it seems that 22-23 Tatar was an exception. Like many have said I also think we should have kept Kähkönen instead of Allen, but it's not a big deal as long as Markström stays healthy and performs.

But it's not like our regulars have been good either. I think this could be a good wake up call before the season even starts. Just because we have a new coach, goalie, defence+ doesn't mean we are just instantly good, everyone still has to up their game and work their ass off every single night.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Cotter was just supposed to be a guy that plays hard with some size and speed. It would hard for him to be a major disappointment considering my expectations are “decent 4th liner”.

I can’t believe I even looked at this, I am a sick man, but he got 60% of shot attempts in 3 preseason games. If he doesn’t get caved in, hits some guys, and scores the occasional goal, that’s fine.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Pretty brutal preseason. Kinda similar feelings to last year where many were ranking the Devils as a top team and we were all hyped up, only to get disappointed pretty quickly. This time we didn't even get into the regular season before we already had to lower our wildest expectations with bunch of doubt and questions in our minds.

Other than Dillon and Markström (and Casey obviously) , the new guys haven't looked good. Cotter has been terrible for how much he costed us. Every play seems to die in his hands. He dekes a guy and then gives away the puck with a terrible pass attempt or shot. So far he seems like a basic 4th line motor guy who we've had/have plenty of. I really hope he's just having early struggles with a new team/system/teammates, but if he doesn't step up his game multiple levels, I won't be surprised if Lazar outscores and outperforms him in every way. Noesen also looks like the Noesen we had few years ago instead of what he was in Carolina. Tatar has also looked meh so far, and right now it seems that 22-23 Tatar was an exception. Like many have said I also think we should have kept Kähkönen instead of Allen, but it's not a big deal as long as Markström stays healthy and performs.

But it's not like our regulars have been good either. I think this could be a good wake up call before the season even starts. Just because we have a new coach, goalie, defence+ doesn't mean we are just instantly good, everyone still has to up their game and work their ass off every single night.
Apparently, Holtz hasn't been good for the Golden Knights either. However, I agree that Cotter, Noesen and Tatar could have been better. But I would also give new players time to adapt to the team. I'm also pretty sure that Cotter gets more points than Lazar this season.

Reactions: Mgd31

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

he didn't cost us much the guys weren't going to do anything here.

thats concerning the second bold i would really love to know what if any training these guys do in the off season i mean it starts early enough for them

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Apparently, Holtz hasn't been good for the Golden Knights either. However, I agree that Cotter, Noesen and Tatar could have been better. But I would also give new players time to adapt to the team. I'm also pretty sure that Cotter gets more points than Lazar this season.
Yea in his first preseason game he got a chance on a top line, took a couple penalties and the line was broken up before the end of the game. Sounds eerily familiar.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
This team hasn’t earned any benefit of the doubt. They have no equity. Until they prove it this year and change my mind, I will continue to put the blame squarely on the players. Specifically Nico and Jack. They need to dominate or they can go somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad