Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The 3rd Ring of Honor is scheduled for January 22nd vs. the Bruins.

You'd think it would be a game against the Islanders if it was going to be Lou. However, that date also falls right in the middle of a 3-day break for the Islanders during a 7-game homestand, so he'd be around.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm pretty sure Lou is on record somewhere saying he isn't down for any honoring until he is retired.
And I can’t see him ever stepping down either.

I have a feeling it’s going to be either Doc & Chico or Marie Carnevale. Personally, I’m kind of hoping for the latter as it would be a really neat way to celebrate a behind the scenes person in the organization.

For those who have never read Corey’s article about other Ring of Honor candidates, here is his excerpt on Marie Carnevale below:
Carnevale joined the Devils in 1984, one person in the organization besides Daneyko who can say she predates Lou Lamoriello. Her duties are plentiful and varied. They include handling any of the club’s immigration issues, filing transactions and contracts with the league and more. She has a part in the team’s travel plans, practice and game schedules and coordinates all sorts of logistics for players and staff members.

“I remember the first day I arrived as a kid out of college, I didn’t have a social security number,” Madden said. “Marie put me in her car and took me down to get a social security number. And made sure everything was set up at the hotel. She did all of those types of things. And she made sure that anything you needed was a simple phone call away.”

Carnevale has assisted nearly 500 players in her time with the Devils, not to mention the coaches, management and support staff. She coordinates travel arrangements, lodging and visas for training camps and developments camps.

“She’s kind of been the rock there for like … forever,” added Schneider. “Anytime you need anything done official or any plans to be made or something to figure out, she always runs point on those types of things. She’s kind of like the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain, making everything happen in a good way.”

Beyond keeping track of immigration and contract statuses, booking last-minute hotels, replacing lost driver’s licenses and putting out whatever fires are needed, she’s also been a significant part of the team’s off-ice culture. Schneider noted that she always asks about family members and pets. Madden said he saw her at the 2000 championship reunion and she was just as critical getting everyone’s plans coordinated for that celebration.

“Nobody has been as loyal,” Daneyko said. “She has been taking care of the young guys forever. She’s been a total team player and kind of a jack-of-all-trades who has been there almost from Day 1. She’s kind of been a caretaker for the young players, someone who helps them get settled and feel comfortable. That’s such a huge thing when you’re 18, 19, 20 years old.”

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
And I can’t see him ever stepping down either.

I have a feeling it’s going to be either Doc & Chico or Marie Carnevale. Personally, I’m kind of hoping for the latter as it would be a really neat way to celebrate a behind the scenes person in the organization.

For those who have never read Corey’s article about other Ring of Honor candidates, here is his excerpt on Marie Carnevale below:

Alright, I'm sold. This would be really cool.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Regarding the Ring of Honor

"This means the possibilities are wide open. With the listing being for a “member,” I assume it will just be one person. Not necessarily a player. This could be Doc Emrick. It could be a former player, of which you can take your pick of Chico, John MacLean, Jamie Langenbrunner, Travis Zajac, Bruce Driver, Andy Greene, Jay Pandolfo (actually, this one would be game-appropriate, he was on Boston’s staff), John Madden, Scott Gomez, and many, many more."

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So why not play Dougie on his off side and let the kid play on the right. After all anybody can make that transition with ease.
Come on there is a reason why most D-men play on their natural side.
Because Dougie can't skate or handle the puck like Casey. Far easier for guys with Casey's mobility, dexterity, and intelligence to switch sides.

If I was going to move anyone to their offside it would be Pesce, but I still think Casey is a better candidate for that based on the reasons mentioned.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

"This means the possibilities are wide open. With the listing being for a “member,” I assume it will just be one person. Not necessarily a player. This could be Doc Emrick. It could be a former player, of which you can take your pick of Chico, John MacLean, Jamie Langenbrunner, Travis Zajac, Bruce Driver, Andy Greene, Jay Pandolfo (actually, this one would be game-appropriate, he was on Boston’s staff), John Madden, Scott Gomez, and many, many more."
I'd love for Doc to get something. We were spoiled. Arlette too.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Doc's already had his share of nights here, though he clearly belongs in the RoH I wouldn't mind Chico actually getting recognized first since he was with the team as a player, and has been with the team even longer now on the broadcast side. Plus it's a nice excuse to play Take On Me as his intro music.

I can't see them having a full RoH ceremony for someone like Marie, the total behind the scenes person you have to be either actually in the organization or a total wonk to know exists. Put her in for sure, but as more of a form announcement or part of a 5-6 person ballot all going in at once.

Reactions: njdevils1982

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
FB_IMG_1727385416305.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: The Wumpus

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

What about Pat Burns (R.I.P.)?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah there's no rush unfortunately to honor Pat, and really Lemaire should be the first coach in anyway (especially while he's still around).

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The kid has yet to play a single actual professional game and now you want him to play on his offside. Give this kid some time before you try to turn him into Superman.
In terms of skill set, Casey is the best option to play the left side in all honesty. Especially now with Luke out and Hatakka banged up, the left side is quite weak after Siegenthaler. The only real option considering how awful White has been is Misyul who has looked solid.

If I’m Keefe, I would give Casey the Friday game on his off-side with Kovacevic and see how he handles it. I’d also have Misyul in the lineup paired with Nemec or Hamilton. If Casey struggles on his off-side, see if Nemec or Kovacevice can handle it.

If both Misyul and Casey play well, they earn a trip to Czechia and you can start with a defense of Dillon, Hamilton, Siegenthaler, Nemec, Casey, Kovacevic, Misyul, and DeSimone. If Pesce is ready, DeSimone stays in the US.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I knew Jamie Langenbrunner was in the Bruins hockey ops, but didn't realize he'd been promoted to assistant GM a couple years ago. Probably some others I'd put in the Ring of Honor before Langenbrunner, but he might be a logical choice for that night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad