Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We have four first-line forwards - split them up into pairs, very simple

Not this garbage Tatar-Hischier-Mercer nonsense because it worked for one season and then was decimated when Tatar falls off, as usual, in the playoffs

Hischier+Meier ,Hughes+Bratt or whatever combination

Enough of this forcing our Captain to pilot around two guys who dont belong on a contending teams top-6 in the playoffs
I don’t think there is anything wrong with trying any combination and giving it a few games. Let’s see how it plays out. Keefe wasn’t here for the big season so I’m skeptical he’s putting Tatar with Hischier because of two seasons ago.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
We have four first-line forwards - split them up into pairs, very simple

Not this garbage Tatar-Hischier-Mercer nonsense because it worked for one season and then was decimated when Tatar falls off, as usual, in the playoffs

Hischier+Meier ,Hughes+Bratt or whatever combination

Enough of this forcing our Captain to pilot around two guys who dont belong on a contending teams top-6 in the playoffs

2 things, first the goal is to MAKE the playoffs. If Tatar Nico Mercer is as good as it was before you 100% run it out there. Worry about the playoffs when we get there.

Second if I have learned anything about NHL coach’s it’s that lines mean nothing. Read any Maple Leafs post from when he was there. It seems hes always messing with lines in game and changing things. So we will probably see many many many line combinations. Haula with Jake, Cotter in the top 6 at some point. Noesen and Palat will get shots also.

Crazy to get worried about this kind of thing now.

Last edited:

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
2 things, first the goal is to MAKE the playoffs. If Tatar Nico Mercer is as good as it was before you 100% run it out there. Worry about the playoffs when we get there.

Second if I have learned anything about NHL coach’s it’s that lines mean nothing. Read any Maple Leafs post from when he was there. It seems hes always messing with lines in game and changing things. So we will probably see many many many line combinations. Haula with Jake, Cotter in the top 6 at some point. Noesen and Palat will get shots also.

Crazy to get worried about this kind of thing now.
Its not crazy because the moment Tatar was signed everyone and their mother had him pegged for the top-6 with Hischier; this isnt some happenstance from a singular preseason game

Trying many combinations over an entire year's schedule is one thing - putting the line together in their very first preseason game together and in training camp is a sign, not just a coincidence

Id bet everything I have that the Devils' analytics team suggested it to Keefe to try again. Now its on him to realize Tatar is a literal anchor holding back Nico and Dawson

This idea that Tatar had any part of the well-oiled machine that Dawson and Nico were in 2022 is laughable. Theyd have done even better with someone else more suited for it on that left wing

Why on Earth would I get Tatar reps in the top-6 when he wont ever stick there when the games mean something? You may see it as 'just making the playoffs' - but I assure you Sheldon Keefe most certainly does not

Theres a reason this player has been scratched in a Stanley Cup Finals series as a veteran... twice. Quit saddling him to Hischier's back

Last edited:

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Its not crazy because the moment Tatar was signed everyone and their mother had him pegged for the top-6 with Hischier; this isnt some happenstance from a singular preseason game

Trying many combinations over an entire year's schedule is one thing - putting the line together in their very first preseason game together and in training camp is a sign, not just a coincidence

Id bet everything I have that the Devils' analytics team suggested it to Keefe to try again. Now its on him to realize Tatar is a literal anchor holding back Nico and Dawson

This idea that Tatar had any part of the well-oiled machine that Dawson and Nico were in 2022 is laughable. Theyd have done even better with someone else more suited for it on that left wing

Why on Earth would I get Tatar reps in the top-6 when he wont ever stick there when the games mean something? You may see it as 'just making the playoffs' - but I assure you Sheldon Keefe most certainly does not

Theres a reason this player has been scratched in a Stanley Cup Finals series as a veteran... twice. Quit saddling him to Hischier's back

I am sure the more advanced numbers would show more from the 2022 season then just basic numbers. But to say that Tatar was holding Dawson and Nico back is an insane statement. Could it be that Tatar is not capable of keeping up NOW perhaps, we will wait and see.

Nico posted 80 points and had his best offensive season BY far that season.

Mercer was in the same boat with 27 goals and 56 points. Lets also add that Mercers number fell off last season. He played with Nico but they didnt play with Tatar.

That season was also Tatars best of his last 4 seasons.

Here is the catch sometimes line combinations dont make sense. Some guys just work with each other well. Even if it doesnt look like they should be where they are. That might be the catch with those 3. You do not just ignore the season they put up together thats bad coaching.

If they lost their magic it will be obvious, if thats the case by all means break them up. I'd imagine they will be broken up on many occasions during the season because Keefe is known for shuffling lines all the time. I dont think it really matters where any of these guys start.

The only legit argument for those 3 to not at least start together is Tatar's playoff performances. But again I dunno about you I want to make the playoffs and that line was together for our best season in history and gave Nico 80 points and 31 goals. Thats not saddling him with bad players. Sometimes players just work.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

This is enormous delusion - so easily disproven with WOWYs. Mercer has never shown any ability to drive play, anywhere. Tatar has shown an ability to drive play pretty much everywhere. When he was put on the 4th line in Colorado, he was useless, when he was moved back into the top 9 in Seattle, he was useful again - his most common linemates in Seattle were Beniers and Eberle, and their performances improved relative to what was there before. This is what Tatar does - he supports better players. He won't make the standout play but he will just be in the right position and make the right play more often than other players do.

He might be too old to keep doing that, we'll find that out, but to just spit baseless venom based on one preseason game is both ridiculous and totally on brand.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Haven't watched a second of preseason games, but already don't like the vibes - good times. First two games, fine. But last night with your top six playing, WTF. If they get off to a horseshit start, I will check out very quickly this season, i can already tell.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Haven't watched a second of preseason games, but already don't like the vibes - good times. First two games, fine. But last night with your top six playing, WTF. If they get off to a horseshit start, I will check out very quickly this season, i can already tell.

these games are literally meaningless and basing any conclusions on them is ridiculous.

the first 2 goals were directly based on f***-ups of guys who won't be playing at all.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
these games are literally meaningless and basing any conclusions on them is ridiculous.

the first 2 goals were directly based on f***-ups of guys who won't be playing at all.
You might be right, but I just have no time for giving them the benefit of the doubt after last season's clown show. They still have to prove 22-23 wasn't just an aberration.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
You might be right, but I just have no time for giving them the benefit of the doubt after last season's clown show. They still have to prove 22-23 wasn't just an aberration.
You’re ranting and talking about abandoning the season before the season starts over games you haven’t even watched. It seems a tad extreme.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Hey, if you're busy and don't have time for it, we are here for you and can pick up the slack, no worries. We got your back and will give them the benefit of the doubt until you have more time on your hands.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
1727360401170.jpeg

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Dillon-Hamilton looked good last night. Dillon is much better than Siegenthaler.

To balance out the d pairs, I agree, Siegs-Hamilton is best to start.
I am not sure I agree with that. Dillon looked pretty meh last night despite his two goals. The play he made on that 3rd goal was really soft.

The 4th one was as well. White and Desimone were terrible last night.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I am not sure I agree with that. Dillon looked pretty meh last night despite his two goals. The play he made on that 3rd goal was really soft.

The 4th one was as well. White and Desimone were terrible last night.
I'm a bit more willing to forgive Dillon if he made a soft play in a preseason game. He's got a track record of being plenty tough when it counts and he's on the wrong side of 30 so it's easy to chalk his effort up to older vet in preseason. The AHL guys looked like AHL guys last night which has been a continuing trend this preseason. Not sure if it's something about Keefe's systems that exposes that or just the talent disparity. Even at less than full effort the NHL guys at least look like NHL guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad