Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I do think we'll like him.

But I also remember last year James tweeting something like "If this is the Bahl the Devils are getting then they won't miss Graves too much" and then Bahl was not very good

Remember every year how they commented how the pp looked so good, and then it wasn't. Idk if they said that the year the pp actually was good, I don't think they did but I can't remember.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

I know this is generic sports talk but I did think the Devils had an identity issue under Ruff.

Players were asked to do so much and make so many decisions that it not infrequently appeared hard for all the players to get on the same page. Was it time to be aggressive or was it time to play safe? Hopefully you’re making the same call as the other 4 guys on the ice.

Ruff’s public talk didn’t help this at times either as, imo, he would give different opinions on play at different times and it usually just boiled down to “did it work?”. I think this did lead to less and less team cohesion over time as guys tried to “make it work” rather than play as a group.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

IMG_5607.gif

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So good Timo never really even got back to 100%, he just wasn’t the 65% he was when initially playing through the injury.

His “still not totally healthy” work was pretty good at the end of the season. Hopefully it’s even more impressive now at 100%.

He had 30 pts in the final 26 games. He had 18 goals but also riding a high SH% of nearly 20%. On the other hand his shot rate was well below what he was doing his last 2 years in SJ. Down from 4.4 to 3.5. Let's say his SH% was down around 12% which is more reasonable for him and he was also at the 4.4 shots a game. That'd have put him at 14 goals. So still a PPG pace and a 44 goal pace.

Now PLEASE Sheldon get him the f*** away from Jack. Them being on the same line today is the last time that needs to ever happen. They drag each other down

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
He had 30 pts in the final 26 games. He had 18 goals but also riding a high SH% of nearly 20%. On the other hand his shot rate was well below what he was doing his last 2 years in SJ. Down from 4.4 to 3.5. Let's say his SH% was down around 12% which is more reasonable for him and he was also at the 4.4 shots a game. That'd have put him at 14 goals. So still a PPG pace and a 44 goal pace.

Now PLEASE Sheldon get him the f*** away from Jack. Them being on the same line today is the last time that needs to ever happen. They drag each other down

Meh, new coach. They didn't work together under old man ruff, gotta give keefe a chance to get his ideas for them across.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Meh, new coach. They didn't work together under old man ruff, gotta give keefe a chance to get his ideas for them across.

Nah. At best they’ll work well but still limit each others potential by eating into each others shots. They’re 2 of the very best shot generators in the league. You don’t put that on the same line. A different coach is not going to make that problem go away. Timo belongs with Nico.

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Not even good brutal, bad brutal.

Good brutal is like Cannibal Corpse or Agoraphobic Nosebleed.

Whatever that convulsion of nature was last year... no bueno.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nah. At best they’ll work well but still limit each others potential by eating into each others shots. They’re 2 of the very best shot generators in the league. You don’t put that on the same line. A different coach is not going to make that problem go away. Timo belongs with Nico.
I agree Timo and Jack shouldn't be on the same line...

I don't think Bratt and Jack work particularly well either...

You either have to have Jack with Timo, who'll eat into his shots or have Jack with Bratt who are both most effective while carrying the puck...

If you overloaded Timo-Nico- Bratt there's no big gun for Jack...

The top 6 seems to lack flexibility and one key guy goes down the whole thing is in disarray.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I agree Timo and Jack shouldn't be on the same line...

I don't think Bratt and Jack work particularly well either...

You either have to have Jack with Timo, who'll eat into his shots or have Jack with Bratt who both most effective while carrying the puck...

If you go overloaded Timo-Nico- Bratt there's no big gun for Jack...

The top 6 seems to lack flexibility and one key guy goes down the things is in disarray.

I mean Jack and Bratt are just objectively great together. This year was their worst year together and they still had a 57% xG together. Jack was also a lot better with Bratt than he was without him. He dropped down to a 52% xG away from Bratt. Bratt this year is the first time one of them has been able to be just as good away from the other as they were when they were together. Jack-Bratt is an ELITE pairing

22-23 a 63% xG. Both dropped to 53% when apart

21-22 62% together. Jack down to 49% away from Bratt. Bratt a 55%

2021 61% together. Jack down to 51%. Bratt down to 49%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad