Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I mean Jack and Bratt are just objectively great together. This year was their worst year together and they still had a 57% xG together. Jack was also a lot better with Bratt than he was without him. He dropped down to a 52% xG away from Bratt. Bratt this year is the first time one of them has been able to be just as good away from the other as they were when they were together. Jack-Bratt is an ELITE pairing

22-23 a 63% xG. Both dropped to 53% when apart

21-22 62% together. Jack down to 49% away from Bratt. Bratt a 55%

2021 61% together. Jack down to 51%. Bratt down to 49%.
I'm not a fan xG, but I don't want to have that argument...

The actual results weren't that good... together they accounted for 14:Goals For and 13 Against in 308:49....that doesn't look good to me.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Honestly a ball drop by both fitz and Mercer if they couldn’t come to terms with a contract

Mercer shouldn’t be missing anytime with the year he had last year

Reactions: Hisch13r

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Honestly a ball drop by both fitz and Mercer if they couldn’t come to terms with a contract

Mercer shouldn’t be missing anytime with the year he had last year
The organization left themselves no room for compromise.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think I might like Palat better with those 2 over Tatar but I wouldn’t be going either of those combos. Mercer with Jack and Bratt. Tatar with Timo and Nico. Palat to 3rd line.
You're playing Bratt on the LW in a Bratt-Jack-Mercer line?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah

There’s more than enough room.

There really isn't any room for negotiations...there really is only 3.9 as a starting point.

3.9 is a no go for 3 years... Just too light for 3 years. 3.5/3.75 for two is ok...but that third year needs to be more like 5.5. so 2 years for 7M. But 3 years is more like 12.5....4.2 AAV....they don't have it.

The only option for the Devils is two years and two years puts themselves in a precarious situation with Nemec and Nico up and Mercer having arbitration rights...they painted themselves into a corner.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
The organization left themselves no room for compromise.
They have 4.9 in space

Mercer was never getting a long term deal and the devils were never going to give him a deal that walks him straight to ufa. They didn’t do that with Bratt what makes you think Mercer would be any different. There’s plenty to get a bridge deal and then go back to the table with a higher cap

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They have 4.9 in space

Mercer was never getting a long term deal and the devils were never going to give him a deal that walks him straight to ufa. They didn’t do that with Bratt what makes you think Mercer would be any different. There’s plenty to get a bridge deal and then go back to the table with a higher cap
They have 4.9 but want to go into the season with around a 1 million dollar cushion for roster moves.

They have 4.9 in space

There is plenty for 2 years not 3.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

YOU SEE THAT DAWSON? A FULLY INDEPENDENT, NOT AT ALL TEAM CONTROLLED REPORTER THINKS LABANC LOOKS GREAT IN YOUR SPOT.

Do we appear fast?

Or slow footed as I fear?
Real team speed comes from coaching and chemistry. LA looked like the fastest team in the league when they speedbagged us in 2012 and that was not a very fleet footed team. Hopefully the Devils are much improved in both areas this year.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
They have 4.9 but want to go into the season with around a 1 million dollar cushion for roster moves.
I think Willman 775 k can come off the books with a send down.

Which would leave roughly 4.5 to spend on Mercer if my math is correct

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think Willman 775 k can come off the books with a send down.

Which would leave roughly 4.5 to spend on Mercer if my math is correct

And have no room for roster movement....if you're clearing roster spots to pay Dawson your stuck with no flexibility.

Look what Bratt did 2.75 for two years then 5.45 for one year. Basically 11 million for 3 years. But that first deal was 3:years ago in a with dead cap in COVID....tack on 25% to 10.9. And the number is 13.625 - 4.54 AAV They don't have the space for this

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
1726771048789.png

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
And have no room for roster movement....if you're clearing roster spots to pay Dawson you’re stuck with no flexibility.
What do you mean ? If willman is a regular in the lineup then there’s bigger issues

Willman goes down 775 added to 4.9 is is 5.675 you want a million dollar cushion you now have 4.675 to spend on Mercer with ur million dollar cushion

Reactions: Hisch13r

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad