Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The debate was over ages ago - Mercer was bad with Nico, and he was bad with Jack. Both guys were significantly worse with him, and it wasn't just explained by the fact that Bratt would usually be the guy who would play RW with them when Mercer wasn't.

The Devils cannot commit long-term to a player who has bad results with both of their top 2 centers. I feel confident Mercer can overcome this, he has great small area skills and enough speed and smarts to become a solid forward.

lol

Granted it was only 37 minutes but he couldn't even make shit work with Bratt last year. Literally everyone works with Bratt.

Yeah you cannot commit to Mercer at this point. Any long term deal we should be ok with would be a deal he should not sign. With Jack they've always been a pretty mediocre pair but at least with Nico we have seen that he can work there. As much as Jack-Mercer has not worked I would like to see a Bratt-Jack-Mercer line. I feel like it'd be nearly impossible for someone to not make things work with both Jack and Bratt on their line.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Ugh they're going to go with Timo and Jack together to start camp. Get this shit out of your system fast Sheldon so we never have to see this shit again

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
1.4 vs 2.3 is not even close.

1.93 vs 2.26 is also not all that close.

Shitting the bed colossally in a contract year MATTERS.
Of course it is very close looking at the actual numbers

Dawson played 3321.8 5v5 minutes and had 53 goals and 52 assists 5v5 during his ELC

Bratt played 2163.3 5v5 minutes and had 30 goals and 42 assists 5v5 during his ELC

1158.5 difference in minutes and 33 points... it's not that much different.

And it's not a good thing we only got 2100 minutes on Bratt's ELC...not all his fault...
Covid, injuries and scratches...but Dawson's 82x3 is something to be celebrated not picked apart with irrelevant rate matrices.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
With this teams history who knows what injuries they will ask him to play through before realizing he actually needs to recover or get surgery...

Sure, that might be the case, but there's absolutely no evidence to say that other than your own terminal negativity.

Reactions: Hisch13r

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland

7f6df3f1-af82-4e44-a7ca-2060edd13d1d_text.gif

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
And Siegenthaler-Nemec?

Yeah I don't really get that one either. I'm willing to give that one a little more rope since Siegs was hurt and also just really bad last year. It seems like a pair that could work.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Granted it was only 37 minutes but he couldn't even make shit work with Bratt last year. Literally everyone works with Bratt.

Yeah you cannot commit to Mercer at this point. Any long term deal we should be ok with would be a deal he should not sign. With Jack they've always been a pretty mediocre pair but at least with Nico we have seen that he can work there. As much as Jack-Mercer has not worked I would like to see a Bratt-Jack-Mercer line. I feel like it'd be nearly impossible for someone to not make things work with both Jack and Bratt on their line.
Under normal circumstances maybe you have a point...if this was a half way decent team last year, absolutely

Framed in the light of last years disastrous season it just seems like nonsense... even still, the amount of time Mercer got with good players was miniscule. You're talking a handful of games here and there ..never more than 3/4 at a time.

There wasn't a player on this team that didn't have a bad 10/20 game stretch this season...you have a bad scoring stretch in the bottom 6 you aren't producing any points as opposed to gathering a bunch of random assist here and there playing in the top 6.

I think this down year talk is all a nonsensical talking point put out by the organization for cap management purposes.

Mercer had a fantastic 3 year ELC ..in terms of hard numbers 64 goals blows anyone else on this team away on their ELC.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The is history to say our medical staff is, um, unconventional? Or perhaps just inept.

They're neither. They are part of a professional sports organization, where players and management are both incentivized to ignore injuries as much as possible, and where a degree of certitude about health is uncertain (because something which is bothersome/limiting to a top athlete performing unusual motions may not affect someone in their daily life).

Reactions: tailfins

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
For a normal team practice, that’s correct. For the first day of training camp, yeah probably does mean good to go.

And also even if he's not 100% good to go and wouldn't be playing if there was a game tonight I'd say him being a full participant 2 weeks away from the start of the year would mean he'd 1000% be 100% good to go come that first game.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sure, that might be the case, but there's absolutely no evidence to say that other than your own terminal negativity.
Recent (as in last year) organizational history is a pretty good reason for 'terminal negativity' when it comes to how we diagnose and manage injuries.

For a normal team practice during the season, that’s correct. For the first day of training camp, yeah that probably does mean good to go.
Well we'll find out that distinction soon enough since they do want to play the regulars in at least two of the first three preseason games since they're the only ones before the trip

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Did we really just get a report of the coach blowing the whistle for the first time? Amanda hasn't reported a thing about Mercer in months but that whistle... :shakehead

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Leaving even earlier than I thought they would - figured they'd at least get the regulars in for the Islanders game exactly a week before the regular season, but guess that's not the case. Would leave 4 preseason games for non-roster players.

Yeah I think they even said on the broadcast against Boston they'd be here for 4 games and then leave

Reactions: HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad