Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
8 goalies in camp is a bit ridiculous lol
The 8 Gs to go along with 38 forwards (that's not counting Mercer or the injured Filmon) and 19 D-men with Luke out of the picture.

Prepping up for the Prague defection leaving the rest to play 3 NHL exhibitions.

Pelletier is an 18 yr-old shooting target. He was not good in his time with the rookies. Major reason they lost to Boston.

Maybe they take Hutchinson to Prague just in case and leave Daws, Poulter, and Brennan for the 3 games back in the states with Brodeur riding shotgun every night. If Brennan is still the Brennan of last year, Brodeur might get some game time.

Melovsky is still unsigned, but not committed to anywhere. Get the feeling this camp will determine if they think he's ready for a shot in Utica. He is a center. They can sign him if he looks good. 20 is the age to break into the pro game. If not, he could still go back to the QMJHL. Max Graham is also 20 and unsigned.

If 1 or both show well in camp and in the preseason games, get another looksee in Utica. They can still go back to Jrs. after a short stint if it doesn't work out. There are guys in Utica who could use a push.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Jeremy Brodeur hanging on by the skin of his nepo teeth.
He actually had a very good season in Adirondack. Good enough to get an AHL 1-way from Utica. At least he will get better $ down in Adirondack. He's not going to beat out Isaac or Nico, but if he keeps it up he will be #3 ahead of Brennan unless Tyler retools and comes back showing how he got an ELC. I would guess the Devils are hoping so, but won't waste time with him if the guys behind him are as good as hoped for. Malek is probably better right now and there are 2 more with good clippings.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm fine with the changes they did but I'd like to see coaches challenge for everything disappear completely. They need to just switch it to VAR like the MLS and stop wasting everyone's time with them. If they aren't going to do that there's needs to be a 30 second clock that starts from as soon as the whistle for a goal or play is blown because I'm tired of watching coaches and players delays games on purpose so they can look at more camera angles.

The rest of the changes make sense...

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
That Tomas Harley deal is bad for NJ

If Harley is worth $4M for two years Mercer is easily worth closer to 5.

For cripes sake Mercer has 64 career goals... Harley has 53 career points.
They don't play the same position for cripes sake. At least compare forwards to forwards if this is the hill you intend to defend.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'm fine with the changes they did but I'd like to see coaches challenge for everything disappear completely. They need to just switch it to VAR like the MLS and stop wasting everyone's time with them. If they aren't going to do that there's needs to be a 30 second clock that starts from as soon as the whistle for a goal or play is blown because I'm tired of watching coaches and players delays games on purpose so they can look at more camera angles.

The rest of the changes make sense...

Like the goalie warmup if the starter is removed for an injury evaluation. Coming in cold is a nightmare.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They don't play the same position for cripes sake. At least compare forwards to forwards if this is the hill you intend to defend.
Yeah I know... I f***ed up. I was reading an article about Dawson and his contract that mentioned Harley just signed...and jumped without thinking. I knew Harley was a Dman...just when I saw his name in an article about Mercer I thought it was a caparison.. it wasn't it was just a mention of RFA's.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
A bad deal is better than no deal for a team that's ready to seriously compete.

Last year we should have built upon 2023...and I'm not even talking about in terms of wins/losses... I'm talking about becoming a team that is more serious....

We took two steps backwards last year...and if we could've avoid that with a bad contract or two....sign me up.

Last year for players like Bratt, Meier, Jack and Nico were poison to their careers and our window

Our window will be determined by Jack, Luke, and Nemec.

Maybe Bratt or Nico become HoF caliber players. Bratt is more likely than Nico IMO. The other guys are here to help Jack, Luke, and Simon learn to compete.

Last year was necessary. We weren't winning anything with Nemec in the AHL and Luke playing 3rd pair minutes on his off hand. Those guys got slotted better and started their progression.

The results in 2023 and 2024 were pretty foreseeable. We all knew the Devils didn't have what was needed to compete in 2023. But, they also couldn't sell when they were fighting for first in the division. Basically, they kept three high end rentals (plus Tatar and Sharangovich - who also didn't fit the cap structure) to "go for it" in 2023. But, teams can't lose that kind of talent without taking a hit in performance. Sure, the goalie thing and the Dougie injury made 2024 worse, but it was clear we were taking a step back regardless.

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Maybe Bratt or Nico become HoF caliber players. Bratt is more likely than Nico IMO. The other guys are here to help Jack, Luke, and Simon learn to compete.

Last year was necessary. We weren't winning anything with Nemec in the AHL and Luke playing 3rd pair minutes on his off hand. Those guys got slotted better and started their progression.

The results in 2023 and 2024 were pretty foreseeable. We all knew the Devils didn't have what was needed to compete in 2023. But, they also couldn't sell when they were fighting for first in the division. Basically, they kept three high end rentals (plus Tatar and Sharangovich - who also didn't fit the cap structure) to "go for it" in 2023. But, teams can't lose that kind of talent without taking a hit in performance. Sure, the goalie thing and the Dougie injury made 2024 worse, but it was clear we were taking a step back regardless.
I personally think the teams success hinges upon Jack....I know some have taken issue when I said that in the past...but I honestly believe it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

picture-41.png

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I personally think the teams success hinges upon Jack....I know some have taken issue when I said that in the past...but I honestly believe it.

Unfortunately, I agree. The team plays completely different without him. It makes me very uneasy.

I'm hoping we don't confirm or deny this over the course of the year, and if we do, I'm hoping having a solid system will alleviate it, but in the past it's been very bad when he misses extended time.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I’m going to feel really really good the first time Hamilton scores by launching a nuke from the blue line. I know he’s a little too laid back personality type for some people, but he’s one of my favourite devils in recent history and a little under appreciated.

Last edited:

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Like the new rules about the goalie knocking the net off will force the defensive team NOT to be able to change lines due to that.

Remember Toronto game where win streak was lost, the goalie kept knocking the net off the moorings we were generating momentum to get the goals.

And if it wasn't that one, it was another Toronto game later, they tried the same BS. Either way, glad that rule was in now, so there will be some overt reason not to want to do it.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Jack is a vital part but I think other guys can carry us through if needed. I feel much more confident about our structure going forward.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
I’m going to feel really really good the first time Hamilton scores by launching nuke from the blue line. I know he’s a little too laid back personality type for some people, but he’s one of my favourite devils in recent history and a little under appreciated.
I would very much like to see Dougie hoist the cup here. Just something that feels right to me.

Reactions: Billdo and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

It takes a very long career to be a hall of fame player. I’m skeptical either will last long enough.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad