Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I personally would rather Luke get the surgery and miss half the year, then not get the surgery, come back after 20% of the year and not be right the rest of the way, and ultimately need surgery anyways

of course we won't know that until the time comes, but yeah.

We also don’t know that he would inevitably need surgery. It’s like everyone’s forgotten that Jack literally had a 6-8 week shoulder injury a few years ago that he came back perfectly fine from and has never been an issue again.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
I wouldn't be too worried about losing Bryce. Not because he's not talented and would be in demand (he's clearly both), but he's in a completely different situation than Erika.

For starters, he's earned a LOT of money during his playing career so he's already set financially and doesn't need to push it on contract demands or chase a better deal. He also has 2 kids roughly of high school age (I believe, though maybe more on the older side) which would tie him to this area - not to mention he's lived in NJ for the past 16 years so probably isn't eager to uproot him and his family to another location. Not sure how much (if at all) Bryce appears on NHL Network as it's not available on YouTubeTV, but working for a team like the Devils is not only a cushy gig with relatively little travel, but being in this area also opens of opportunities on other networks.
I don't know, if I'm ESPN or TNT, I'd throw a bag of money at him to replace some of the garbage they have on their desks. A national gig would be nice for him. Once a week and if it's ESPN it's not too far.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
My guess is something like that. Working in a corporate world - its usally cheaper to bring in new and/or young people. So maybe Erika wanted more money... or maybe this was a plan all long.

Hopefully I'm wrong - and Erika just wanted to move onto something different, and it was her decision.

Does Erika's new gig have her working more daytime hours and less nights/weekend? Just asking because with a little kid at daycare all day then you have to work and get home well after they're asleep you miss a lot of time in the precious early years and knowing firsthand with a wife that travels a lot and has 2 younger kids that can be gut wrenching for a professional mom to make that sacrifice.

That combined with a increase in salary might have been the story in a nutshell but just a hunch.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
We also don’t know that he would inevitably need surgery. It’s like everyone’s forgotten that Jack literally had a 6-8 week shoulder injury a few years ago that he came back perfectly fine from and has never been an issue again.
It took him until christmas to fully get back from that one but I get your point.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I personally would rather Luke get the surgery and miss half the year, then not get the surgery, come back after 20% of the year and not be right the rest of the way, and ultimately need surgery anyways

of course we won't know that until the time comes, but yeah.

What surgery, like what is the surgery here? All we know is that it's a left shoulder injury, no?

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Does Erika's new gig have her working more daytime hours and less nights/weekend? Just asking because with a little kid at daycare all day then you have to work and get home well after they're asleep you miss a lot of time in the precious early years and knowing firsthand with a wife that travels a lot and has 2 younger kids that can be gut wrenching for a professional mom to make that sacrifice.

That combined with a increase in salary might have been the story in a nutshell but just a hunch.

you're probably right. Clearly i'm just projecting my own insecurities

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad