Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The tossed away pick, especially with our promise in MHL/VHL players, pisses me off too.

Not that I love the trade by any means, but it is just a 7th round lottery ticket. We didn't sign most of our recent 7th rounders.

And not having the pick means you could use that contract slot on a similar undrafted guy. In 2017, we dealt a sixth rounder to the Sharks for two 7th rounders (Zaitsev/Hellickson). I recall reading afterwards that some of the Sharks scouts were bummed because they had earmarked goalie Josef Korenar with one of those 7ths. But Korenar ended up going undrafted and the Sharks were able to sign him as a free agent anyways.

Columbus unsuccessfully tried to get a 7th rounder in 2015 to draft local kid Kole Sherwood. He slid through and they signed him right after.

Not to say that 7th rounders are completely worthless, but those are a couple instances where a team still ended up with their intended target without having a pick.

Reactions: Saugus

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
7th and a prospect seems a bit rich.

But Fitz wants to make a run and more moves are coming. Probably making a mistake.

Reactions: Forge

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Not that I love the trade by any means, but it is just a 7th round lottery ticket. We didn't sign most of our recent 7th rounders.

And not having the pick means you could use that contract slot on a similar undrafted guy. In 2017, we dealt a sixth rounder to the Sharks for two 7th rounders (Zaitsev/Hellickson). I recall reading afterwards that some of the Sharks scouts were bummed because they had earmarked goalie Josef Korenar with one of those 7ths. But Korenar ended up going undrafted and the Sharks were able to sign him as a free agent anyways.

Columbus unsuccessfully tried to get a 7th rounder in 2015 to draft local kid Kole Sherwood. He slid through and they signed him right after.
Our habit of grabbing Russian prospects changes the approach because they’re forever on your reserve list and usually you cannot sign them after the draft.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Also we’re at 48 contracts, without sending someone back we’d be at 49/50.

If they just needed to send back a contract, I’d prefer it wasn’t a feisty center who could legitimately make the club next year.

Seems like they’re not confident Bardakov was going to come over.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Also we’re at 48 contracts, without sending someone back we’d be at 49/50.

If they just needed to send back a contract, I’d prefer it wasn’t a feisty center who could legitimately make the club next year.

Seems like they’re not confident Bardakov was going to come over.
Bardakov is on the reserve list he’s not a contract

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Mildly disappointed you boys haven't made a thread heralding MacDermid's arrival

The Avalanche's defence isn't an easy place to play but he's not played defence for us, he only ever got played at forward for ~3 minutes a night. If you put him on defence opposing players would simply skate around him, probably.

He can dangle, though

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Mildly disappointed you boys haven't made a thread heralding MacDermid's arrival

The Avalanche's defence isn't an easy place to play but he's not played defence for us, he only ever got played at forward for ~3 minutes a night. If you put him on defence opposing players would simply skate around him, probably.

He can dangle, though

He definitely won’t play defense for us. He’ll be on the 4th line and probably dress for the games where his presence will be necessary.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Conroy has changed his tune as to not wanting to disturb their playoff chances. He now says 3 games to the TDL and his phones will be open and they are sellers. (Not in those exact words but look at the NHL.com title page. Article all about it.)

D-man MacKenzie Weegar talks abut being on a selling team vs a buying team. He recognizes the writing on the wall. They are selling.

As has been posted earlier, Markstrom isn't happy about the way management handled things. So, I would guess he feels dissed and wouldn't mind heading out.

1 week and counting.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why do we retreat to goons when things go bad? We even did it with Cam Janssen when the 13-14 season was not going well early on, after no goons made the roster out of camp.

Then we had Kurtis Gabriel in 18-19 after that season fell apart. Then Geertsen in 21-22, although we got him before the season even started.

Reactions: Guadana and Mgd31

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
At least Grandma Geertsen was a treat on Twitter.

fP6Zpor.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Isn’t he the guy that laid a knee on knee on Taylor Hall in 17-18? We thought he might be gone a while, but I think he only missed 2 games or something.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Our habit of grabbing Russian prospects changes the approach because they’re forever on your reserve list and usually you cannot sign them after the draft.

Yeah, you can't sign draft eligible prospects playing in Europe and likely not NCAA bound guys although Columbus was able to convince Sherwood to forego college.

But it's usually slim pickings by the end of the draft, so I'm not going to get too up in arms about it. Plenty of undrafted guys you could sign to recoup that lost pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad