Prospect Info: Devils picking 4th Overall.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Devils pick?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I personally think Clarke will be the better player, plus he's RHD which is helpful, but I think we'll take Hughes
This is where I'm at. The marketing alone with the "bros" is something the organization might value more than me and push them over the edge if they see the players are equal.

Reactions: Davegarri

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Someone with knowledge of these guys, is there any discernible difference between Hughes and Clarke?

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'm not concerned about who we take at 4. We'll get a great player no matter what. Even if 1,2,3 goes all dmen we'll get a great forward in Beniers.

I'm more interested in who we get with the Isles pick. If we take Hughes I kinda want Pastujov.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'm not concerned about who we take at 4. We'll get a great player no matter what. Even if 1,2,3 goes all dmen we'll get a great forward in Beniers.

I'm more interested in who we get with the Isles pick. If we take Hughes I kinda want Pastujov.
I want Ceulemans or Rosen if they get there. Boston has to win this series though for that to be possible.

Reactions: Davegarri

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
slightly wonky year for the draft. But if Hughes is around at our pick - you have to take him right?
The optics would be terribly bad for the team but if thats how they feel then so be it

Though the fans would get over it when they watch the highlights of the player we took

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Dan MacKinnon seemingly pointing out how Luke being related to Jack and Quinn shows a 'pedigree' that adds confidence to the pick

does he have much pull? I understand hes the AGM but sometimes these roles are just figure spots, like Brodeur having tons of pull

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Dan MacKinnon seemingly pointing out how Luke being related to Jack and Quinn shows a 'pedigree' that adds confidence to the pick

does he have much pull? I understand hes the AGM but sometimes these roles are just figure spots, like Brodeur having tons of pull
Where did you see this?

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
Really glad we didn’t move back again this year. Picked Clarke because he’s a RD which is easily our top positional need and he isn’t a reach at 4 at all.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I think there is something to it. Teams are always looking for something that will suggest the player can or won’t make it. I think having two successful brothers quiets a lot of concerns about intangible things. I’m not saying it’s accurate but you know Luke has an idea of what he needs to do and a team can have some extra confidence that his skills can translate even if he might not be quite as skilled as the older brothers. To me it’s another tie breaker but for NJ ownership it may be more than that. We will have to see.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Craig Button’s mock draft 1.0 has us selecting Clarke.

Michigan Mock: Button has Power to Sabres; Beniers to Seattle, Johnson a Canuck

Edvinsson #5, Hughes #8. Looks about right to me.

It would take a massive set of balls to take Clarke over Hughes. Not only because it’s a coin flip who the better prospect is (with Luke the much better skater), but because you’re potentially creating hard feelings with the face of your franchise. I would be absolutely stunned, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Fwiw, Pronman has the Devils taking Hughes at 4 and Clarke going around 8 after the three other defensemen.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
It would take a massive set of balls to take Clarke over Hughes. Not only because it’s a coin flip who the better prospect is (with Luke the much better skater), but because you’re potentially creating hard feelings with the face of your franchise. I would be absolutely stunned, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Fwiw, Pronman has the Devils take Hughes at 4 and Clarke going around 8.
I mean just because fans think it is a coin flip does not mean it is.

There is a reason people get paid to scout...there is the potential one is better than the other for certain scouts.

If Clarke is better, take him.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
I think there is something to it. Teams are always looking for something that will suggest the player can or won’t make it. I think having two successful brothers quiets a lot of concerns about intangible things. I’m not saying it’s accurate but you know Jack has an idea of what he needs to do and a team can have some extra confidence that his skills can translate even if he might not be quite as skilled as the older brothers. To me it’s another tie breaker but for NJ ownership it may be mire than that. We will have to see.
'With the fourth overall pick, the New Jersey Devils select.. from the USHL.. Justin Hughes"

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Of the Mocks so far
Button has us taking Clarke with Hughes going 8
Pronman has us taking Hughes with Clarke going 7
Both have Edvinsson at 5

Some interesting reads in the Athletic Mock draft

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I mean just because fans think it is a coin flip does not mean it is.

There is a reason people get paid to scout...there is the potential one is better than the other for certain scouts.

If Clarke is better, take him.

It is a coin flip amongst scouts. Also consider that by passing on Luke at 4, there’s a non-zero chance he winds up in Vancouver with Quinn. Jack has publicly stated he flat out wants the Devils to take Luke. This pick is not going to be made in a vacuum without feelings involved.

All of that aside, I think Luke is the superior prospect regardless.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love

Fwiw, Pronman has the Devils taking Hughes at 4 and Clarke going around 8 after the three other defensemen.

I sort of agree. There is much debate on who is better - weird year. I do not believe there would be hard feelings. For all we know he's an annoying little brother. I do agree if he's there you should take him

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I sort of agree. There is much debate on who is better - weird year. I do not believe there would be hard feelings. For all we know he's an annoying little brother. I do agree if he's there you should take him

Jack stated in his exit interview he’s not afraid to say he wants the Devils to take Luke. It’s his family and they would make a proactive decision to pass on his brother. It’s not something that would go unnoticed.

All I’m saying is this isn’t a straight up decision. In the scenario you pass on Luke, there’s a real chance you’re dealing with a situation where you passed on Jack’s brother and he winds up in the same organization as Quinn. You better be damn sure Clarke is unquestionably better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad