Prospect Info: Devils Picking 4th Overall, Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
Castron really makes the pick based on their scouting consensus and determination. Fitz even alluded to how he's one of the voices in the room but ultimately it's a process driven decision based on player skillset, data analysis, and type of roster they're looking to mold in coming years (and needs expected based on weighting BPA).

welp let's hope. I would probably talk myself into edvinsson anyways if they decided to pick him haha

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Thats a lot of spots to move up. What do you think gets it done?
No team would go from 8th to 29th in a one pick trade. A GM could conceivably claw their way up if they had several extra 2nds and 3rds and traded 1sts a couple times. It would be pretty hard to pull off in two trades but it depends on the picks you had to trade I guess (and finding willing trading partners).

It wasn’t the Sharks, it was the Kings and they will be more interested in quality over quantity with prospects and definitely need a high end defensive prospect, so they likely have no interest in trading if Clarke is available. (Unless they don’t like him specifically but they don’t want a bunch of crap for the 8th pick either.)

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Moving up to the Top 10 would have been much easier if the Isles didn't beat Boston and we ended up with their pick being 19 or 20. But from 29? We would probably have to include next year's #1 in a package.
With the unpredictability of where we finish , next years 1st round pick is off the table 100%. I would say next year's 1st round pick is in the same untouchable category as Jack Hughes and this years 4th Overall pick.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I’m not sold on Hughes at all and I wouldn’t even pick a dman at #4. William Eklund would be my choice, if he were to be there at our pick.

This is a kid that just does everything well and has a never ending motor. Slot him on the left wing with Hughes and his ex linemate Holtz and we’d have one heck of a line right there!

Yes, I’m aware we need a dman but we need to take the better player first and foremost.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I’m not sold on Hughes at all and I wouldn’t even pick a dman at #4. William Eklund would be my choice, if he were to be there at our pick.

This is a kid that just does everything well and has a never ending motor. Slot him on the left wing with Hughes and his ex linemate Holtz and we’d have one heck of a line right there!

Yes, I’m aware we need a dman but we need to take the better player first and foremost.

I would have no issues if we bypassed defense for Eklund. Big fan

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I just think there are enough low picks like Edwards and Baumgartner (maybe even Pitlyk?) that are starting to be redundant that grabbing some project RD would make sense. Presumably they haven't found value they like in a RD trade but that's because they are hard to come by it seems. Hopefully they realize this and draft a few.

I love Pytlik -- he has upside as a two-way, NHL 3C with size and some underrated offensive skill. I would say Edwards and Baumgartner are not even in the same stratosphere as Pytlik as a prospect. My big hope for Edwards and Baumgartner is that they can develop enough to become AHL guys who can be adept enough to call up in case of injury at the pro level.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
That would be a ridiculous ask on their part.

Just to be clear on Mercer, in a 2020 re-draft he's in the top 10 range, which pretty much means in a 2021 draft he's probably top 5. This is the type of value we need to realize. He was dominant in the QMJHL, he was dominant in the WJC. He's versatile, smart, extremely talented and plays with a compete level to rival the most fierce competitors in the NHL. This is not a kid you trade.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
He shouldn't slip past the Ducks but I wouldn't be all that surprised if he does.

I would be absolutely shocked if the Ducks took Eklund. I would actually be surprised if he were top 10 on their draft board. The Ducks do not draft 5'10-170 players in the first round, ever. Were Eklund some sort of prodigal scorer I'd say ok, but there's really no discernible separation between his offensive upside and that of Beniers, Guenther, McTavish, Lucius -- and all of those players have more qualities the Ducks seem to covet.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
With the unpredictability of where we finish , next years 1st round pick is off the table 100%. I would say next year's 1st round pick is in the same untouchable category as Jack Hughes and this years 4th Overall pick.

You could not be more correct. No one with a possibility of finishing in the lottery is trading a 2022 first round pick. Shane Wright could potentially be the best prospect since Auston Matthews in 2016.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Just to be clear on Mercer, in a 2020 re-draft he's in the top 10 range, which pretty much means in a 2021 draft he's probably top 5. This is the type of value we need to realize. He was dominant in the QMJHL, he was dominant in the WJC. He's versatile, smart, extremely talented and plays with a compete level to rival the most fierce competitors in the NHL. This is not a kid you trade.
Where would Holtz be in a re-draft? I would be comfortable trading him for Clarke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad