News: Devils open to trading No. 10 pick in 2024 NHL Draft, looking for goalie

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I read recently that the Devils GM is after a skating winger with size/grit/weight. Someone that can be added to the mix of their skilled group. Seems reasonable for me.

I know Anderson had a bad season. Not trying to push it but my pitch would be Anderson at 50% retention ($2.7M for 3 years) and both the Jets and Flames/Panthers 1st. Not good enough? You tell me.

If not Anderson, what would be your target to add in terms of a big boy who skates well and can score? Curious to see the potential market in both UFA and other trades because I do think the Devils are after someone like this and I recall a rumor of them being in on Anderson before.

..ok, but this is about goalies, and you’re talking about Josh Anderson, who can’t score goals for the record, and isn’t what they’re looking for.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So goalies only. OK

Not like I'm proposing it but what's your assessment towards either of Monty or Primeau? Looking for better?

As a fan that hates the Devils, I'd die laughing if they traded the #10 for either of those guys.

Just no shot they do that. Neither goalie is much better than what they currently have. I'd love it as a rival fan, though.

Maybe a mid round pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As a fan that hates the Devils, I'd die laughing if they traded the #10 for either of those guys.

Just no shot they do that. Neither goalie is much better than what they currently have. I'd love it as a rival fan, though.

Maybe a mid round pick.

Definitely would not be 1/1 but I think the Devils are looking for more of a proven guy.

Monty is underrated. Some fans still think of the same guy when he was age 25. He's really battled hard to improve and he was very good for Canada at the 23 WC's. He's been on the Habs who have exposed him big time with our young D, but he just keeps improving. He's very resilient. Never going to be a top 10 or top 15 starter but 16-32 is reachable on a better team.

Primeau was one I was up/down on during his development. He really did have a good season last year but still a bit unproven. I know Tampa was looking at him hard for their back-up and was waiting for the Habs to place Primeau on waivers when we had Allen.

I for one would not trade the 10th pick for a goalie. Most goalies don't have 3 good years in a row these days. There is the top 5 or top 10 and then the rest. Devils are not going to be able to land one of those top 5 or top 10 guys IMO. Picking from the rest is a reach but the need is there so they may reach.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
So goalies only. OK

Not like I'm proposing it but what's your assessment towards either of Monty or Primeau? Looking for better?
I'd be quite happy with a Montembault. I know others are a lot lower on him than I am.

Montembault+WPG 1st+Small sweetener is something I personally would prefer over markstrom 50%+Van 1st.

Although again, not sure if those are the kind of assets you pay 10th overall for, when you could instead offer 2025 1st+.

A guy I would trade 10th overall for would be Guhle, but he is almost certainly unavailable.

A trade like 10th overall+Holtz for Guhle+Montembault would be imo fair, but I doubt MTL is trying to move Guhle at all, and the french goalie they just extended.

Reactions: Smitty426

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Definitely would not be 1/1 but I think the Devils are looking for more of a proven guy.

Monty is underrated. Some fans still think of the same guy when he was age 25. He's really battled hard to improve and he was very good for Canada at the 23 WC's. He's been on the Habs who have exposed him big time with our young D, but he just keeps improving. He's very resilient. Never going to be a top 10 or top 15 starter but 16-32 is reachable on a better team.

Primeau was one I was up/down on during his development. He really did have a good season last year but still a bit unproven. I know Tampa was looking at him hard for their back-up and was waiting for the Habs to place Primeau on waivers when we had Allen.

I for one would not trade the 10th pick for a goalie. Most goalies don't have 3 good years in a row these days. There is the top 5 or top 10 and then the rest. Devils are not going to be able to land one of those top 5 or top 10 guys IMO. Picking from the rest is a reach but the need is there so they may reach.

I think part of it with Montembault is that he's adequate in a league filled with bad or mediocre goalies. So I guess he does have a bit more value than I'd normally attribute to someone like him. Adequate, in 2024, is an asset.

I am glad you agree on the 10th being way too much for him, though.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
A new CP insiderrrr is saying the deal is in place and its 10th for Marsktrom+ lol.
Guess he is going to LA

Man, that board is really positive that they are getting #10 for markstrom and the deal is complete.

Even if Conroy makes a deal that evens the value for 10 (however that may be), I'd have to tip my cap to him. 10 is simply not an asset that should be moved for markstrom even when the value is squared, so that would be a great job by him if it happens

Reactions: HabzSauce

Bond

May 10, 2012
Man, that board is really positive that they are getting #10 for markstrom and the deal is complete.

Even if Conroy makes a deal that evens the value for 10 (however that may be), I'd have to tip my cap to him. 10 is simply not an asset that should be moved for markstrom even when the value is squared, so that would be a great job by him if it happens
Yeah, I think there will be a lot of disappointed Flames fans

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Yeah, I think there will be a lot of disappointed Flames fans
LOL, and according to their "Insider" the deal is already done just waiting for the Finals to finish. Didn't that same "Insider" say the deal was done before the TDL?

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
Based on what? There’s really no precedent for a goalie getting that type of return. Once again, the only goalie in “recent” memory is Schneider who was 7 years younger than Markstrom.

Expecting that type of return on Markstrom is going to set you up for disappointment.

Cory was Vezina caliber at the time (and for some afterward) too. He was putting up 0.92+ SV% on those awful teams.

We need a goalie, but if price is #10 for Markstrom then the Devils are better off replenishing their largely depleted prospect pool (as Luke and Nemec have graduated out of that) and making looking at an alternate route, like steadying their blue line.

I do not believe the situation will be as dire even we do nothing with Luke and Nemec being a little more seasoned, and Dougie returning as well. Plus Allen seems to be an upgrade over anything we've had.

Reactions: Smitty426

Bond

May 10, 2012
LOL, and according to their "Insider" the deal is already done just waiting for the Finals to finish. Didn't that same "Insider" say the deal was done before the TDL?
To be fair this is a different one lol. The guy who said it was done before said nothing will happen until draft

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
10 for Markstrom seems laughably bad for NJ but hey good for the Flames if they pull it off. I've got no horse in this race.

Has anyone brought up Holtz for Markstrom? Seems like solid value for an aging goalie and a prospect that still has some value despite seemingly falling outta favor in NJ.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Holtz, Schmid, 2024 3rd, 2025 1st (top 5 protected, slides to 2026 unprotected) for Markstrom
Thats a big over payment by NJ. Markstrom doesn't have this type of value. What is it your fanbase doesn't understand? Holtz one for one for Markstrom is probably the deal.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
10 for Markstrom seems laughably bad for NJ but hey good for the Flames if they pull it off. I've got no horse in this race.

Has anyone brought up Holtz for Markstrom? Seems like solid value for an aging goalie and a prospect that still has some value despite seemingly falling outta favor in NJ.
I'd honestly do Holtz and Devilman Schmid for Markstrom.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Thats a big over payment by NJ. Markstrom doesn't have this type of value. What is it your fanbase doesn't understand? Holtz one for one for Markstrom is probably the deal.
I think it will be a 25 protected 1st for Markstrom. Holtz tossed in if there is retention

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Now that Markstrom is in NJ........................is the #10 pick still in play??

I was skeptical the Devils would trade the 10th for a goalie. No way they were going to get their hands on a top 5 or top 10 goalie and the rest are meh. Most goalies can't have 3 good seasons in a row these days. Especially the 11-32 range guys.

I believe they would still trade the 10th. Their GM has a needs list and the goalie is done now. I believe they need to add some grit in their top 6/top 9. Their GM also spoke towards that.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad