Post-Game Talk: Devils lose to the Flames (3-2)

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
My friend who's a Flames fan texted me after the game with friendly chirps to which I quickly replied that Eklblad is as good as ours (I don't think we'll finish that bad, just joking with my friend), and as soon as I sent it I remembered about our forfeited pick... :cry:

My stream crapped out on for the third period so I ended up just listening to the broadcast while a giant blue rectangle covered the majority of the screen. The sad part is the same lineup will be in against the Jets, and then against the Sens, and so on and so forth with the minor exception of moving a 4th liner in or out and replacing Fayne with Larsson or the other way around. To make it worse I think we have guys in the system that can come in right now and do more than our veterans, namely Gelinas, but that will unfortunately never happen.

Pete's stubbornness is becoming a detriment to this team, going all the way back to last year with Hedberg starting 10 games in a row, to poor line-up choices on defense. If the team is losing most coaches try to shake things up by taking out the players playing really poorly and replacing them with scratched players, unless you're Deboer and you replace the better players with guys who should already be in the lineup. Ugghh well at least it keeps us on our toes. You know there will be a defensive mistake in all our games that costs us, we just don't know from who or how! It's like a little guessing game :laugh:... :cry:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Pete's not getting fired when they've played one home game all season.

Not now but the clock is ticking...Thanksgiving is about the timeframe I'd look at, especially with it being about 20-22 games in.

And yes I'd looked up Larry's timeline - at the Isles counts as part of the road trip although technically they were back 'home'. I also remember Lou'd told Brian Rafalski (who was hurt and riding on the plane with him) that he decided to fire Larry after the Atlanta game iirc.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
If we do fire Pete and hire a new coach, Carter and Gio may go offensively. Especially if we hire someone focused on developing young guys.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
RG touched on this a few games ago but what the hell is going on in our own end? Are we implementing some sort of forecheck in our own zone? We're putting crazy pressure down low with both D men chasing guys behind the net, and in the corners. What the hell is that, BOTH defensemen constantly being caught along the wall or in the corners, with guys wide open in from of the net, total madness. I understand the "swarm" approach but it's too much.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
We've allowed at least 3 goals in every single game so far, Pete absolutely NEEDS to make a change on defense...right?

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
We've allowed at least 3 goals in every single game so far, Pete absolutely NEEDS to make a change on defense...right?

That's the thing. It would seem right now Stevens and/or Pete don't have more confidence in the younger D men.

It's difficult to say, since I'm not at their practices or meetings.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So is Zidlicky supposed to let Hudler go(his man at the time)

Yes! Yes! Yes!

He needed to release and slide over as soon as Salvador started collapsing to the post....that was the read.

Then Hurdler becomes the "back door" and Salvador gets it covered

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
That's the thing. It would seem right now Stevens and/or Pete don't have more confidence in the younger D men.

It's difficult to say, since I'm not at their practices or meetings.

I don't know how they have any confidence with the older guys, who keep making the same mistakes. At least with the rookies, you expect that to happen.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
RG touched on this a few games ago but what the hell is going on in our own end? Are we implementing some sort of forecheck in our own zone? We're putting crazy pressure down low with both D men chasing guys behind the net, and in the corners. What the hell is that, BOTH defensemen constantly being caught along the wall or in the corners, with guys wide open in from of the net, total madness. I understand the "swarm" approach but it's too much.

I remember this being an issue the first half of Pete's first season. Guys were constantly chasing down the puck putting themselves out of position in our zone. It seemed to get better as the season went on and obviously we went on to have a great run at the cup. It might not be far fetched to think that Larry coached our D on how to stay responsible within Pete's system. But Larry left and the crappy d play came back last year and it's out in full force so far this season. And unlike that initial season no one seems capable of making the adjustments and improvements.

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I remember this being an issue the first half of Pete's first season. Guys were constantly chasing down the puck putting themselves out of position in our zone. It seemed to get better as the season went on and obviously we went on to have a great run at the cup. It might not be far fetched to think that Larry coached our D on how to stay responsible within Pete's system. But Larry left and the crappy d play came back last year and it's out in full force so far this season. And unlike that initial season no one seems capable of making the adjustments and improvements.

Yeah I don't get it, if it doesn't work, make an adjustment. I don't think Pete is capable of making proper adjustments that work to the players strengths.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Some of these things aren't coaching. You don't expect veterans to not be able to make simple reads and simple plays....

Forward support in our zone is the biggest issue IMO. The Defense is constantly relying on forwards being in certain positions and offering support and they are just not getting that right now.

Breakdowns almost never happen at the point of focus. They happen three steps before that and it becomes a trickle effect.

Constant breakdowns, in my opinion are a total team effort from the every coach to every player. It stems from a lack of focus...worrying about other things than the moment.
Maybe it's new wrinkles added to the scheme, maybe it's all the new faces but there is a lack of focus.

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I agree with some of those points Jim, it's mind boggling when guys are blowing simple reads and coverage that pee wee players can comprehend.

At what point though do you stop forcing a system on guys that after 40 games is not working? This isn't anything new, the overwhelming majority of mistakes are by guys that were here last year, if they haven't worked it out by now they never will. The coach needs to adapt and adjust to his players strengths and give them the best chance to succeed.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Yes! Yes! Yes!

He needed to release and slide over as soon as Salvador started collapsing to the post....that was the read.

Then Hurdler becomes the "back door" and Salvador gets it covered

So Chico and Sal both saying he was at fault means nothing then?

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Some of these things aren't coaching. You don't expect veterans to not be able to make simple reads and simple plays....

Forward support in our zone is the biggest issue IMO. The Defense is constantly relying on forwards being in certain positions and offering support and they are just not getting that right now.

Breakdowns almost never happen at the point of focus. They happen three steps before that and it becomes a trickle effect.

Constant breakdowns, in my opinion are a total team effort from the every coach to every player. It stems from a lack of focus...worrying about other things than the moment.
Maybe it's new wrinkles added to the scheme, maybe it's all the new faces but there is a lack of focus.

Can't disagree with a single thing here. Attention to detail. This team has NONE of it. The exact reasons for this are up for debate I suppose, but it's a fact none the less.

I don't expect these guys to win every single game. What I can't accept, however, is watching a team make the same mistakes over and over and over and over again. And they're such stupid mistakes most of the time, that they essentially give themselves no chance to win. The results prove this. They can be tied or in the lead all they want, they're not going to start winning until they clean up their game.

More than a win, I really just want to see this team play a clean solid 60 minute effort. It's been like forever since that has happened and it's getting really old.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So Chico and Sal both saying he was at fault means nothing then?

Pretty much anything Chico says in the moment means nothing.....

And ANY hockey player worth his salt will take blame when things go wrong....could Salvador had played that better? Of course he could've...was there poor player in two other directions from Salvador...absolutely. Is the captain going to draw focus to the problems in front of him AND behind him? Absolutely not !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad