GDT: Devils @ Leafs - 7pm - SN - The Rematch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Normally I’d say keep everyone fresh as can be for game 1 but our last two games are a b2b vs Florida and Tampa. Almost all our good players should sit one of those games specifically vs Florida.

We’ve seen in recent years it doesn’t matter if you smack them 7-1 in game 82 at all. If anything it would motivate them.

Reactions: SprDaVE

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Does Rielly need rest or to get back in shape?

He hasn't looked great, but is it rust or health?

Missed 4 games, so maybe it is injury. Skating looks off.

I noticed that as well. He literally looks like he's skating in quick sand and is constantly losing foot races while he was ahead of the opponent. Hopefully he just hasent gotten his legs back yet

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
It's been a discussion for a long time and sports has evolved quite a bit. It really isn't about flipping a switch or being scared of being hurt or tired, mostly playing your depth a little more and keeping as many players as fresh as possible. Matthews was playing insane minutes for awhile, same for McCabe and Rielly. Playing 1 less game down the stretch isn't going to make or break their ability to do well in the playoffs or set in big time rust.

I'm not sure having a killer instinct in game 80 is really going to make a difference game 1 of the playoffs. Most other teams will be doing this a lot. Edmonton is already resting McDavid (minor injury), Panthers have been sitting out their D, etc.
Also, this may all just be the PTSD talking as I am a Colts fan and the Painter in the 4th quarter for Manning to rest him debacle still stings!

Reactions: SprDaVE

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Does Rielly need rest or to get back in shape?

He hasn't looked great, but is it rust or health?

Missed 4 games, so maybe it is injury. Skating looks off.

I noticed that as well. He literally looks like he's skating in quick sand and is constantly losing foot races while he was ahead of the opponent. Hopefully he just hasent gotten his legs back yet
As we've seen with Rielly time and time again, he elevates in the playoffs and turns into an absolute rock for us. Personally, I am not worried.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My thoughts exactly .. rest up Matty and Rielly so they don't play in Florida .. i think I would do it even if Matty at 69 but he may choose to play to get 70 .. it is a tough one .. i don't care about 70 so i would encourage him to shut it down as if he lose him then we are finished in playoffs
Exactly. 70 goals in nice but doesn't really matter, playoffs matter. And playing him back to back next week just seems wrong, and that goes for all our key players. I'd be sitting a ton of guys for one game next week, not just Matthews.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Exactly. 70 goals in nice but doesn't really matter, playoffs matter. And playing him back to back next week just seems wrong, and that goes for all our key players. I'd be sitting a ton of guys for one game next week, not just Matthews.

just asking, how many guys can you actually call up? does the cap allow for that?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
We don't seem to excel with home ice advantage.
I dont mind if we cant catch Florida.
We've been a better team at home lately though. I remember when we were barely a .500 team at home an now we're 22-14-3. Colorado seems to be 1 of the very few teams in the league who has a much better home record against their record on the road.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We've been a better team at home lately though. I remember when we were barely a .500 team at home an now we're 22-14-3. Colorado seems to be 1 of the very few teams in the league who has a much better home record against their record on the road.
Altitude?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Agreed.

Worried Keefe’s galaxy brain flares and he over does line matching.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Wouldn't that be something. Matthews hitting 4 goals for the 2nd time in his career to land him on 70. No better night to do it , Allen is flammable.
I think Matthews will get two tonight in a blowout against Jersey and two against Detroit on Saturday. Last time, he got number 60 against Detroit, so it will be fitting for him to also get 70 against Detroit.

Tampa is pretty glaring in that regard. Not a good road team. I think they are fortunate to be playing Boston, who I expect to implode again in the playoffs as this iteration of the Bruins usually does.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I think Matthews will get two tonight in a blowout against Jersey and two against Detroit on Saturday. Last time, he got number 60 against Detroit, so it will be fitting for him to also get 70 against Detroit.

Tampa is pretty glaring in that regard. Not a good road team. I think they are fortunate to be playing Boston, who I expect to implode again in the playoffs as this iteration of the Bruins usually does.
I think we just need to find a way to survive the 1st 2 rounds. I'm not too worried about the Metro teams even though on paper they look better than the teams in our division. We just suck against the Atlantic for some reason.

Reactions: torontoblood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad