Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Trade high and buy low for a similar player would be my thought process. If someone is willing to pay a premium for Bratt and you get Necas at a discount, it makes sense from a value building perspective. That is excluding the other variables that affect the team.
The only similar player available would be Ehlers but he’s older, not as good, and in need of a contract and you’re just shuffling stuff around for no good reason at that point. I don’t see Necas as a Bratt comp.

Reactions: Oneiro

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
It's a terrible gamble. The Devils already bought low on the one guy, what are the chances that they are A: going to evaluate someone else in another organization similarly and B: that that player will agree with that undervaluation?

I thought we could finally stop talk of trading Bratt on this forum but it will never die.
I am not saying I agree with these moves, just providing perspective as to what Fitz is likely thinking if this is true, which could very well be false.

The only similar player available would be Ehlers but he’s older, not as good, and in need of a contract and you’re just shuffling stuff around for no good reason at that point. I don’t see Necas as a Bratt comp.
I’m not talking stylistic, I mean roles. RW1 possession winger who plays PP.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
The reality of all this is whoever else the Devils sign up front is likely to be in the same caliber as Palat/Haula. Whether it’s a Henrique or Arvidsson or Tarasenko, the Devils cap structure just doesn’t have room to sign a legit top six forward and a strong bottom six forward.

We are going to have this same conversation on either Palat, Haula, or new guy isn’t an ideal top six forward next season.

I’m still of the belief that those guys are more than good enough as the sixth option in a top-six for a season. Rotate them as they are playing well or situationally.

If you really feel that you need a top-six upgrade, those are the areas you address come trade deadline.
I don’t see it because they’re part of the core, but also mostly because we’d still be in need of a top 6 forward by moving one of them. Meier fits a play style need and Bratt is a better player. What is apparently on the table is the 10th overall pick, no mention of players.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Holy hell Bratt and Meier, what in the world?!?!?

Ok, might as well get all the crazy shit out there today everyone, we’ll find out soon enough.
To be fair, one person said it, I also responded but it's quickly turning into one of those things where one person says something insane and then there is two pages of people acting like they are fighting against a mob of people with this thought. Should be settled after about 6 more posts of people saying why its a bad idea.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
IMG_0067.gif

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
To be fair, one person said it, I also responded but it's quickly turning into one of those things where one person says something insane and then there is two pages of people acting like they are fighting against a mob of people with this thought. Should be settled after about 6 more posts of people saying why its a bad idea.
But did you consider that if Fitz sees BigDumbDevilsFan95's assertion that we trade both Hugheses for draft picks and there aren't at least 40 replies to the contrary he might actually do it?

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
OMFG ANOTHER POST ABOUT MEIER AND BRATT BEING TRADED?!?!?

• Haha
Reactions: Alex NJD

devsfan8

Aug 23, 2005
South Jersey
I can see Necas AND the 27th overall as part of a package deal for Marino and the 10th. But this would all be based on the assumption the Devils go out and sign Pesce on 7/1, and a Necas extension. Maybe Fitz pry a pick in 2025 from them also as the Devils only have 4 draft picks in 2025 suddenly.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
They are in a weird spot with Marino's NTC or whatever kicking in on the 1st, same day they can sign anyone. Making them need to literally risk trading him if his NTC would cause any issues. I presume they can ask a player ahead of the date to waive in the future? So that way they can sign and then trade. Sign the D you want and then trade from a position of more power because you took another RHD off the board. Also in case you miss out on signing anyone you want, you still have Marino.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If there is anything the past 2 years have taught us as Devils fans, it's that if Brady Tkachuk is even the slightest bit available via trade, the Devils absolutely must be the team to acquire him. Overpay by 1000x times if you have to. The day Florida made the Matthew Tkachuk trade, the hockey world was glamouring about how well the Flames did on the return and how Calgary FLEECED Florida. What has happened since then? Florida goes to back to back Stanley Cup finals. Wins a Stanley Cup.

If I am Fitzgerald, I am calling Staios and offering this package for Brady Tkachuk right now.
- 10th overall pick
- John Marino OR Dougie Hamilton (if he'd waive)
- Seamus Casey
- Lenni Hameenaho
- Alexander Holtz
- 2026 1st round pick - Unprotected
- 2027 1st round pick - Unprotected

That is the type of massive overpayment it would likely take to land Brady Tkachuk. And I think it would absolutely be worth it. The type of lineup the Devils could assemble with the addition of Brady Tkachuk is tremendous. And that's just for this coming season. Next year (2025-26) the Devils will have the Kovalchuk penalty, some performance bonus carryovers off their books. As well as $4 million of increased salary cap space, and pretty much all of their important pieces locked up to contracts. The could then look to move Hamilton as his NMC turns to a modified NTC.

Tkachuk - Hughes - Mercer
Meier - Hischier - Bratt
Tatar - Haula - Palat
Foote - Lazar - Bastian
MacDermid

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Pesce
Hatakka - Nemec
DeSimone

Markstrom
Allen

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Is Necas a better overall player than , say, Mercer ?

I would personally rather have Mercer for the contracts they will both get.

I also think Mercer is better suited for the playoffs, and better suited for this Devils team in general.

But if you were to poll all 32 teams, I would say 20+ teams would value Necas higher than Mercer. Which I am not sure I agree with.

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
If there is anything the past 2 years have taught us as Devils fans, it's that if Brady Tkachuk is even the slightest bit available via trade, the Devils absolutely must be the team to acquire him. Overpay by 1000x times if you have to. The day Florida made the Matthew Tkachuk trade, the hockey world was glamouring about how well the Flames did on the return and how Calgary FLEECED Florida. What has happened since then? Florida goes to back to back Stanley Cup finals. Wins a Stanley Cup.

If I am Fitzgerald, I am calling Staios and offering this package for Brady Tkachuk right now.
- 10th overall pick
- John Marino OR Dougie Hamilton (if he'd waive)
- Seamus Casey
- Lenni Hameenaho
- Alexander Holtz
- 2026 1st round pick - Unprotected
- 2027 1st round pick - Unprotected

That is the type of massive overpayment it would likely take to land Brady Tkachuk. And I think it would absolutely be worth it. The type of lineup the Devils could assemble with the addition of Brady Tkachuk is tremendous. And that's just for this coming season. Next year (2025-26) the Devils will have the Kovalchuk penalty, some performance bonus carryovers off their books. As well as $4 million of increased salary cap space, and pretty much all of their important pieces locked up to contracts. The could then look to move Hamilton as his NMC turns to a modified NTC.

Tkachuk - Hughes - Mercer
Meier - Hischier - Bratt
Tatar - Haula - Palat
Foote - Lazar - Bastian
MacDermid

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Pesce
Hatakka - Nemec
DeSimone

Markstrom
Allen

I agree with the sentiment 100% but it’s a pipe dream. I believe a rumor was put forth by the Spittin Chiclets crew and RA swears he has connections with the Tkachuk family but who the hell knows. Ottawa has no incentive to trade him whatsoever, unless Brady forces their hand which we have heard no word of yet so this is all grain a salt shit until one of the heavies (EF, Marek, Lebrun) chime in. But yea that’s just a boatload of assets to give up for a single player.

Let’s simplify it:

10OA
Marino
Holtz

That is where I would start.

I could end up at

10OA
Mercer

Which I think might could move the needle for Ottawa. Anything less might not get a return phone call.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Last year he was. Neither is good defensively but Mercer is probably better in that area. Necas seems more toolsy but Mercer’s effort is better.
"Last year he was" -- every year of his career he's been a better player than dawson mercer lol cmon. You can argue age, you can argue contract/what they'll eventually get paid, but you cannot with a straight face make an argument that Dawson Mercer is as good of a hockey player as Martin Necas.

The regular old counting stats show it, the advanced stats certainly show it, and the fact that Dawson just put up 33 f***ing points as a 22 year old probably shows it too.

10OA
Mercer

Which I think might could move the needle for Ottawa.
"Moves the needle for Ottawa" lol this doesn't even move the needle for Ottawa in a video game with trades set to easy. This gets laughed at, brought back up at cocktail parties 3 years later and then laughed at more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad