Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm basing my opinion on the fact that both of his older brothers have signed hometown discount contracts, you're basing yours on absolutely nothing. You do you champ.

The Hughes family hasn’t been particularly mercenary.

From a December 1 2021 Quinn Hughes interview:
I wanted to ask you about Jack’s new deal. Your family is so unique — with three brothers that are top-10 NHL draft picks and your father being in the business. He’s made a decision to lock in eight years with one team, but you were in a bit of a different spot. This is done so early for Jack, whereas yours went a bit longer.

Did you guys talk at all about it, did you give him any advice on the timing and whether he was better off waiting or if he should lock it in?

Yeah, we talked. It was the same conversations we had when I was working on my deal, I used him for advice as well.

It’s a different situation for Jack. When guys like me and Petey came into the league, we were 20 years old. This is his third year at 20!

I can’t judge him at 18, his first year. And last year at 19 he was really good. This year I think he’s going to have a big year too.

For me, I told him, you could maybe bet on yourself, go do that and maybe get a little bit more. At the same time, though, when someone offers you $64 million, is it really life-changing compared to $68 million or $72 million? It’s like, you love it there, your brother is going!

He was excited about the deal, he’s really happy. He’s grateful to (Devils GM) Tom Fitzgerald and he’s happy to get it done. It was good that Tom came to them and got it done and they got it out of the way, that’s really important. I think it was a no-brainer, personally.

Got to love as a fan that Jack Hughes was getting “what’s the difference between 64 and 72 million if you love it there!” as advice.

Last edited:

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I remember Steven Todd Ives being a big proponent of Necas back in his draft year. I wasn’t sold on the production in the Czech league (lower than Zacha across the board) but he’s turned into a productive speedster.

I think he’d fit in well on our team.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I know where Necas fits, beyond being right handed, moving in to the center position if needed either on the 3rd line or if one of Jack or Nico are out.

No chance any of you would want Haula or Mercer in the top 6 over Necas. The reality is that our top 6 gets pretty weak when we lose one of those guys.

Beyond the skill vs big physical forwards there is also depth to think about.

Also with the cap going up (Devils have a better idea where it will be in a few years) how easy it seems to be to dump contracts (moving Palat at some point). I just dont get the feeling that IF the Devils are serious about adding him they are concerned about signing him. I would guess you dont send 10 overall to them unless thats your plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I know where Necas fits, beyond being right handed, moving in to the center position if needed either on the 3rd line or if one of Jack or Nico are out.

No chance any of you would want Haula or Mercer in the top 6 Necas. The reality is that our top 6 gets pretty weak when we lose one of those guys.

Beyond the skill vs big physical forwards there is also depth to think about.

Also with the cap going up (Devils have a better idea where it will be in a few years) how easy it seems to be to dump contracts (moving Palat at some point). I just dont get the feeling that IF the Devils are serious about adding him they are concerned about signing him. I would guess you dont send 10 overall to them unless thats your plan.
So then with all that in mind, why not wait to give a Necas-sized deal to someone without the trade assets on top of it? Odds an eventual UFA would produce similarly or close to it are pretty good

Just as an example, Jake Guentzel on Monday

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
So then with all that in mind, why not wait to give a Necas-sized deal to someone without the trade assets on top of it? Odds an eventual UFA would produce similarly or close to it are pretty good

Not a fan of giving 30 year olds big free agent deals.

I dunno that I'd trade for necas (won't be all that distraught if we did), but definitely not super into giving 30 year olds big, long term deals.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

Necas is 25 years old, fits the time line much better. Still should get better vs Gurntzel being who he is already. Nothing against him as a player I am sure he would be valuable here also.

I dunno that I'd trade for necas (won't be all that distraught if we did), but definitely not super into giving 30 year olds big, long term deals.

Who know's if it will happen, honestly I think its unlikely to. But its always fun to talk about and speculate about so why not.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024

Thats fair but the point was made by someone that moving contracts with a rising cap will be easier than ever (and i agree with that) so im not worried about them being 28-29-30 (Guentzel was just the first example coming up)

Doesnt have to be Guentzel - but Id rather save the assets that drive our ability to remain cap compliant down the line and shop UFAs going forward for wingers

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Thats fair but the point was made by someone that moving contracts with a rising cap will be easier than ever (and i agree with that) so im not worried about them being 28-29-30 (Guentzel was just the first example coming up)

Doesnt have to be Guentzel - but Id rather save the assets that drive our ability to remain cap compliant down the line and shop UFAs going forward for wingers

UFA forwards in there 30s generally dont equal the same production they had to earn that contract.

There is still more value in trading for a 25 year old and getting the best years of his career then signing a 30 year old to a bloated deal on the downslide.

I was addressing the contract concern other posted about. I think (like you) that its not as big of a concern as we are making it. If the Devils pulled the trigger on a deal like this they would obviously be comfortable with the possible future contract.

Reactions: My3Sons

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Would be thrilled with Necas on this team. He's so good in rush chances and scoring.
He's very agile and shifty. He's not a pure north south player. Necas processes the game at a rapid pace. With that said, the front office still needs to fortify the 3rd and 4th lines with more physical players.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Necas is the exact opposite of what we need to succeed in the playoffs; soft, lazy and extremely poor defensively. We don't need a ton more talent up front, we need some grit & physicality.

I actually do agree with this and I would like to add that type of forward. Sometimes that guys not available and you have to make other moves instead. Id rather trade for Necas and add him to the forward group then add bad UFAs because the top 6 grit forward isnt out there.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I think we're in for a really exciting
He's very agile and shifty. He's not a pure north south player. Necas processes the game at a rapid pace. With that said, the front office still needs to fortify the 3rd and 4th lines with more physical players.

It's fun. I can't help but think about how different this team could look by this time next week. With all the draft and free agency stuff crammed so close together, things will move very, very quickly.

I see the bottom-6 being solidified in free agency...maybe Monahan?

Additions:
-Monahan or other 3C via Free Agency;
-Top-6 Forward (Necas? Laine?) with the 10th Overall pick;
-Pesce via Free Agency

Departures:
-Marino
-Holtz

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

It's fun. I can't help but think about how different this team could look by this time next week. With all the draft and free agency stuff crammed so close together, things will move very, very quickly. Ov

Additions:
-Pesce via Free Agency

Departures:
-Marino
-Holtz

Oh I’m gonna f***ing barf if we move 10 for Laine. I also think the bottom 6 needs a f*** ton of more help than one guy. Haula should be the 3C. I’d like a 4C, bottom 6 W, and a middle 6 W/C over spending on a top 6er.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Necas is the exact opposite of what we need to succeed in the playoffs; soft, lazy and extremely poor defensively. We don't need a ton more talent up front, we need some grit & physicality.

He was one of Carolina's best forward this playoffs and he smoked us in 2023. This is just false

It's fun. I can't help but think about how different this team could look by this time next week. With all the draft and free agency stuff crammed so close together, things will move very, very quickly.

Additions:
-Pesce via Free Agency

Departures:
-Marino
-Holtz

Laine has value closer to a 7th rounder than he does a top 10 pick with off the ice stuff, contract and injury concerns but mainly the latter two. He's a poison pill, the Devils aren't the team should kick tires on him. He needs to go to like a Utah/Chicago to rebrand himself

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I like Laine but he's not going to return the 10th overall. He's still in the players' assistance program.

Nichushkin is probably available also although he's even more risky and won't be able to play for half of next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad