Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Only way to avoid a double digit AAV? Where you getting that from?
From Jack getting 8 before he broke out in a dead-cap and Luke has better ELC production

if he signs this summer you can get him at Jacks deal or slightly higher; past that, after he inevitably produces 50-60+ this year playing 20+ minutes a game, hes not getting less than 10

And 10 per would be fair value with a rising cap, essentially Jacks deal with inflation if it was next year. Fans thinking players take multiple millions off for a discount isnt reality; they just dont take their maximum purse

Reactions: My3Sons

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I don’t want to sign Luke to a new deal right now. Give it at least 12 months.

I think under a new coaching staff, Dougie will reclaim his spot on PP1 and I think Simon Nemec is a better all round player than Luke. And I don’t want to see Luke potentially get paid more than Nemec.

I’m also a bit wary of the sophomore slump with Luke.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
From Jack getting 8 before he broke out in a dead-cap and Luke has better ELC production

if he signs this summer you can get him at Jacks deal or slightly higher; past that, after he inevitably produces 50-60+ this year playing 20+ minutes a game, hes not getting less than 10

And 10 per would be fair value with a rising cap, essentially Jacks deal with inflation if it was next year. Fans thinking players take multiple millions off for a discount isnt reality; they just dont take their maximum purse
He's not getting $10M a year, not even close to that. For one, Fitz would never give him that much after playing hard ball with Meier and Bratt, and second like it's been mentioned, if it gets to the point of him holding out for $10M (or anything close to that), he makes his older brother look like a hypocrite for calling out teammates for not thinking of the team first.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I can see Luke demanding the exact same length as Jack -- i.e. signing a contract that's $8m/year until 2030. I can also see the Devils not having much interest in that contract, as it barely buys them any FA years (1, I think? Maybe zero?) and puts a 29 year old Jack and 26 year old Luke in position to become UFAs at the same time.

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
I think he would fit extremely well in the top 6. We must be the team that offered a first round pick (Lebrun said it was separate from the Buffalo report)

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
He's not getting $10M a year, not even close to that. For one, Fitz would never give him that much after playing hard ball with Meier and Bratt, and second like it's been mentioned, if it gets to the point of him holding out for $10M (or anything close to that), he makes his older brother look like a hypocrite for calling out teammates for not thinking of the team first.
The fact that you include his brother and 'being a hypocrite' shows me youre basing this entirely off your feelings and not at all based on precedent involving actually-signed contracts

Yes, Im sure a top-5 pick defenseman about to produce 100+ points in his first two seasons is going to take a major discount because his brother did after producing poorly when the cap didn't rise for four years lmfao

Jack yelling at his own brother for doing whats best for him...

1719446425894.gif

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I think he would fit extremely well in the top 6. We must be the team that offered a first round pick (Lebrun said it was separate from the Buffalo report)
lol Carolina leaking that out so Buffalo ups their offer so that they don't have to trade him in division
We have no room for Necas. We might as well say goodbye to Mercer.
Meier-HIschier-Mercer
Bratt-Hughes-Necas
Palat-Haula-Holtz
4th Line

There's space but I'd be surprised if it happened, would just have to bridge Mercer probably

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
The fact that you include his brother and 'being a hypocrite' shows me youre basing this entirely off your feelings and not at all based on precedent involving actually-signed contracts

Yes, Im sure a top-5 pick defenseman about to produce 100+ points in his first two seasons is going to take a major discount because his brother did after producing poorly when the cap didn't rise for four years lmfao

Jack yelling at his own brother for doing whats best for him...

View attachment 887775
I'm basing my opinion on the fact that both of his older brothers have signed hometown discount contracts, you're basing yours on absolutely nothing. You do you champ.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
lol Carolina leaking that out so Buffalo ups their offer so that they don't have to trade him in division

Meier-HIschier-Mercer
Bratt-Hughes-Necas
Palat-Haula-Holtz
4th Line

There's space but I'd be surprised if it happened, would just have to bridge Mercer probably

Rather spread the wealth around so we have depth throughout the lineup

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I mean Necas would score 40-45 next to Jack/Bratt, let's be serious for how good he would be for them. That being said, absolutely not for the team building aspect. Just stay at 10 and take the guy with the cheap ELC and, at the worst, will be in NJ in 25-26.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Meier-HIschier-Mercer
Bratt-Hughes-Necas
Palat-Haula-Holtz
4th Line

Yep, well said. Necas would be an awesome fit but it just doesn't make sense team building wise

Reactions: R8Devs

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Rather spread the wealth around so we have depth in the bottom 6
they could still do that by separating the top 6 a bit whenever needed. Bratt, Hughes, and Hischier could all potentially be on separate lines when needed and that's not including Meier who'll still be with one of them even if the Devils do separate those three. I don't think the 4th line is much of a worry, we just saw Florida win the cup with Kyle Okposo and Steven Lorentz as mainstays there. Lazar and Bastian are competent enough 4th line guys so I think the Devils are good there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad