Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I mean if Walker and Pesce can play the left said I have to assume the Devils feel they are the better options for the left side then any of the LHD out there? Only reason I can come up with as to why possibly chase so many RHD.
Hamstringing anyone we have now, or intend to sign, to playing their opposite side is just batshit crazy to me. It's a terrible idea.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Not overly interested in Brendan Dillon, going to be 34 at the beginning of the season and is not much more than an average defenseman to begin with, any type of decline could lead to him being a complete dud of a signing.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not overly interested in Brendan Dillon, going to be 34 at the beginning of the season and is not much more than an average defenseman to begin with, any type of decline could lead to him being a complete dud of a signing.
It's all a bit hazy, but I kind of remember looking up his numbers this year and they were pretty good.

I think sometimes guys who play heavy defensive minutes lose a step, they also get heavier defensive minutes, thus their overall numbers are compounded to the downside, making the decline look worse then it is.

Kind of like Markstrom, he's such a fit, that you bring him in as a stop gap and hope he can be at least serviceable.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Depends on the deal, specifically the term for me.

I could get behind a two year deal that expires when Nemec’s deal is up

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
i've wanted forbort for so long tbh.

View attachment 887698

1719442722245.png

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I dunno about this, I know Jack got a 8 year contract before the bridge, but giving Luke a 8 year this early, I don't see how that's in our favor

These are the deals I'm probably making every time. If you have faith in him, get it done and lock it up for 8.

I think these deals even when they go bad aren't that bad unless injury is involved.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I get that, but he's really not going nowhere and this would tie up big time cap space.

If we didn't have Jack, then yeah long term.
Yes, but if you bridge him and he absolutely pops off (which is very likely), you’re looking at way more than 9~ mil AAV. I agree he’s sticking around regardless, but I’d rather pay up right now, and I’m pretty sure he’d be glad to given his brother’s choice a few years back to do the same.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Yes, but if you bridge him and he absolutely pops off (which is very likely), you’re looking at way more than 9~ mil AAV. I agree he’s sticking around regardless, but I’d rather pay up right now, and I’m pretty sure he’d be glad to given his brother’s choice a few years back to do the same.
I don't think he's going to try to break the bank with us, Jack signed a bargain contract with us knowing it was in more our favor.

I don't think the Hughes boys were raised to be money hungry. I could be wrong though.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I don't think he's going to try to break the bank with us, Jack signed a bargain contract with us knowing it was in more our favor.

I don't think the Hughes boys were raised to be money hungry. I could be wrong though.
I don’t disagree, but I don’t think around 9 would be him being money hungry, especially with the cap going up.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Jack also came out with a public comment last offseason when Bratt and Meier were on the clock. Would kind of look funny if Luke were to play hardball.

I'm guessing he comes in at the exact deal as Jack.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024

Its one thing to not ask for the maximum but hes not going to ask for less than we would now if he has an incredible season

Signing him right now, similar to Jack, is the only way to avoid a double-digit AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad