Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
It's not damning. There has been a public denial. What's not in dispute is that some sort of encounter happened, what's in dispute is whether it was consensual. Chances are it wasn't; proving that in a court of law is another matter. It's been a while since I read about the case but it seems like that is the only reasonable legal strategy here, which is obviously extremely ugly - consequently it doesn't make any sense to be talking about this.

i think the same.

well said

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
This isn't Devils team discussion. He doesn't play for this team anymore.
I mean it’s a pretty pointless discussion at this point. But it’s still fully a devils team discussion considering he was an impactful part of the team we lost this season and the original guy was just wondering if he’d potentially be a factor anytime in the future.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Is there a chance the second charge is for being the guy who thought there would be pizza, but when saw something other than pizza he didn't seem to leave the room with any urgency or do anything to stop what was happening?

I get he's charged with two and it is very likely for the worse reason, but not knowing the laws up there, is it possible they gave the one charge and this one on top because they know more then they let on about the details and they want something to stick on him if the big one doesn't? Basically, if we can't get you on technically being a part of the act, we will 100% get you on being a willing accomplice.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We know nothing more concrete than we did three months ago, probably won't know any new details about the incident until the actual trial way down the road, and there'll be nothing else remotely newsworthy until all the charged players get qualified by their NHL teams (or not).

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
IMG_8750.jpeg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't really see what the point of that is other than to be intentionally provocative...especially since there were no charges ever brought in the old Caps players case, so we'll never truly know what happened there. Perhaps there should have been but it was a different world then, both in the way people thought of rape and in the ability to amplify stuff on social media (which was nonexistent in the early '90's).

There have been charges brought here, belatedly and finally...hopefully everything will eventually come out during or after the trial. But for now this isn't even team discussion worthy until the day McLeod/Foote do or don't get qualified.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I don't really see what the point of that is other than to be intentionally provocative...especially since there were no charges ever brought in the old Caps players case, so we'll never truly know what happened there. Perhaps there should have been but it was a different world then, both in the way people thought of rape and in the ability to amplify stuff on social media (which was nonexistent then).

There have been charges brought here, belatedly and finally...hopefully everything will eventually come out during or after the trial. But for now this isn't even team discussion worthy until the day McLeod/Foote do or don't get qualified.
'perhaps there should have been' lol. it wasn't meant to troll, just to show that there has (probably) always been a serious problem with hockey culture, and the only difference between now and then is that now we know about it. it's ok to admit that a lot of these heroes were actually scumbags in their personal life.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
I’m honestly down for a Gustavsson reclamation project. He put up incredible numbers two seasons ago, should come cheaper than any of the other usual suspects, and he’s the right age. He’s a risk worth taking.

I don't think Minny is getting rid of him. Fleury on a one-year deal. They're in an ideal situation to see if he has got "it" over the next 2 years.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
'perhaps there should have been' lol. it wasn't meant to troll, just to show that there has (probably) always been a serious problem with hockey culture, and the only difference between now and then is that now we know about it. it's ok to admit that a lot of these heroes were actually scumbags in their personal life.
But it's pointless to cast stones against something we'll never truly know about, including the extent of people's involvement there. And I said the same thing when the MM stuff was just speculation and innuendo before it got to the level of actually receiving TWO charges against him. Even now it's pointless to speculate on what he's alleged to have done other than it must have been pretty bad to be the only one to get two charges.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

The two aren't remotely the same...

There's a lot of reporting that said Stevens wasn't involved in the activity and was said to be a lookout...

4 players were name in the grand jury indictment...3 were accused of being involved. The Grand Jury listed Stevens as a witness according to Washington Post reports.

Not to mention that the jury wouldn't indict largely based on the limo drivers testimony.

These two things aren't remotely close. Do some research it's all out there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MartyOwns

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
But it's pointless to cast stones against something we'll never truly know about, including the extent of people's involvement there. And I said the same thing when the MM stuff was just speculation and innuendo before it got to the level of actually receiving TWO charges against him. Even now it's pointless to speculate on what he's alleged to have done other than it must have been pretty bad to be the only one to get two charges.
the day that i can't make a pointless post on here is the day i move to the message boards at hockeychat.geocities.net

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
As much as I think there is probably a 50/50 chance McLeod gets proven guilty, I don't think it would be a bad idea if he plays until that happens. As of right now he is innocent. There are charges against him but he is innocent right now by law. If he can help this hockey club win games (The season went to sh*t last year as soon as he left the team) I don't think you can get mad if the Devils sign him while they await a trial.

If he gets proven guilty, then GTFO - see ya. Contract terminated.

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad