Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

How will this work if the Devils technically open next season Oct 4 & 5 in Prague?

By all accounts those seem to be regular season games, so maybe the Devils main roster ships out after the Rangers game on the 30th?

Who is going to be left behind to play that Oct 3rd game against the Flyers?
I'm thinking it'll probably be mostly the AHL guys by that last game, potentially even those last two-three games. I wouldn't be surprised if we play another exhibition game against one of the European teams, like we did the last time when we played Bern. It seems to be common for the NHL teams opening up the season over there.

I bet most of the regulars + just a few select borderline guys (like how Ty Smith went in 2018 lol) all leave over that weekend after that Islanders game on the 27th. Leaving behind mostly the AHL team to play out those last two preseason games locally. While the opening night roster + a very select few others depart for Europe around the 28th or 29th to play an exhibition game against one of the Euro league teams, then to Prague for the two regular season opening games.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
John Gibson f***ing sucks

He's a cyanide pill for Fitz. Acquiring him would just be throwing your hands up and saying I give up, fire the f*** out of me. Even the guys who run our goaltending department have to know better than that.

We can't afford to have him clogging up our books for 3 more years, even if they retain a good amount of it.

John Gibson isn't any good. Annually his backups play at least as well, if not marginally better than him. Albeit in fewer games.

This year I think Dostal actually played one or two more games than him, and performed a little bit better while playing that much of a workload.

So if John Gibson is sooooo good, then what the f*** is Dostal? ELITE?!
Is it his 3.99 GAA average 2 years ago or maybe his .888 save percentage this past year? Clearly Gibson is primed for a turnaround!

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm thinking it'll probably be mostly the AHL guys by that last game, potentially even those last two-three games. I wouldn't be surprised if we play another exhibition game against one of the European teams, like we did the last time when we played Bern. It seems to be common for the NHL teams opening up the season over there.

I bet most of the regulars + just a few select borderline guys (like how Ty Smith went in 2018 lol) all leave over that weekend after that Islanders game on the 27th. Leaving behind mostly the AHL team to play out those last two preseason games locally. While the opening night roster + a very select few others depart for Europe around the 28th or 29th to play an exhibition game against one of the Euro league teams, then to Prague for the two regular season opening games.
That is probably the case but why play so many pre-season games.

Like there’s no way the Devils hit the veteran mark unless it’s a bunch of washed up veterans invited to training camp that they have no intention of signing.

You’re going to have an AHL team plus a bunch of vets playing against what likely will be the full NHL squads for the Rangers & Islanders. Don’t see what good that does for anyone.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How will this work if the Devils technically open next season Oct 4 & 5 in Prague?

By all accounts those seem to be regular season games, so maybe the Devils main roster ships out after the Rangers game on the 30th?

Who is going to be left behind to play that Oct 3rd game against the Flyers?

Probably will just be an AHL squad, PTOs, and maybe some draft picks before we send them back to juniors/Europe. The Kings/Ducks had a preseason game in San Diego last year, it ended up being AHL rosters but both squads wore the NHL uniforms.

There's an obscure rule in the CBA where teams have to dress at least 8 "veterans" in every preseason game. Not sure if we get an exemption due to playing overseas. Kings/Ducks didn't seem to hit that minimum either, but maybe there's an exemption when not playing at an NHL arena?

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I believe its typical lazy rumor. Gibson has mostly negative value with his salary. May be someone will ready to take him for minor compensation, but overall he is below average goalie now.

Its a Fitz drop. Telling those teams "Hey, look. There are a lot of goalies being shopped right now and less teams looking. If you wanna play games you could get stuck with nothing."

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Why the f*** are we linked to Mangiapane? To torment me?

I would assume because people just randomly started throwing his name into the conversation about markstrom, as though Markstrom + Mangi @ 50% is the missing piece to get #10.

I just can't imagine that he's the type of skater Fitz would be looking for at this point.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
So what’s the deal with McLeod? Is a trial going on ? What are the odds he’s proven innocent and we take him back ?

MWagg72

May 9, 2021
So what’s the deal with McLeod? Is a trial going on ? What are the odds he’s proven innocent and we take him back ?
He's the only one with two charges so I'm assuming he's the one who allegedly took her to his room and called the others. No clue what the odds are he's found innocent, but if my assumptions are correct, it wouldn't surprise me if he's the only one to get a guilty verdict if the other players can prove they didn't know she was not a willing participant.

That being said, they are all innocent until proven guilty. I wouldn't count on him being a member of the team in the foreseeable future though as court cases have a way of taking too much time to fully resolve.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

None of those guys are playing again until that matter is settled in court. I don't think that's starting until 25

from 6 days ago....mid august talk in the write up

and no, i dont think he will ever play for the devils again

Last edited:

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
If McLeod was even a teeeeeeeeeeeeeny tiny bit innocent, don't you think he/his agent would be screaming "this is bullshit and I'm innocent" hourly?

If he wasn't such a piece of human filth, he'd be looking at a $12+m contract this offseason. Maybe more.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
If McLeod was even a teeeeeeeeeeeeeny tiny bit innocent, don't you think he/his agent would be screaming "this is bullshit and I'm innocent" hourly?

If he wasn't such a piece of human filth, he'd be looking at a $12+m contract this offseason. Maybe more.

a wasted gift he threw away.

in other history of WTF

this guy played on my soccer club in the mid 80s to early 90s...in later years he owned a prominent toronto bar and f***ed it all up big time

article from this past february update on whats happening

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Definitely don't think the odds are zero, I will be surprised if the Devils don't give him a QO, unless the league rules that he and the other players are ineligible to receive one. I do think it's a longshot that he ever plays again.

There's no incentive to be screaming about being innocent. The trial isn't for another year at least, probably.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Definitely don't think the odds are zero, I will be surprised if the Devils don't give him a QO, unless the league rules that he and the other players are ineligible to receive one. I do think it's a longshot that he ever plays again.

There's no incentive to be screaming about being innocent. The trial isn't for another year at least, probably.
What? There are 12 million reasons to be screaming about being innocent, if he were innocent.

Much smaller scale but it’s not too dissimilar to the Panarin thing last year, where there was the bad intel that he beat up his girlfriend and he very adamantly and immediately maintained his innocence.

The lack of any sort of public denial is absolutely 1,000,000% damning.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
What? There are 12 million reasons to be screaming about being innocent, if he were innocent.

Much smaller scale but it’s not too dissimilar to the Panarin thing last year, where there was the bad intel that he beat up his girlfriend and he very adamantly and immediately maintained his innocence.

The lack of any sort of public denial is absolutely 1,000,000% damning.

It's not damning. There has been a public denial. What's not in dispute is that some sort of encounter happened, what's in dispute is whether it was consensual. Chances are it wasn't; proving that in a court of law is another matter. It's been a while since I read about the case but it seems like that is the only reasonable legal strategy here, which is obviously extremely ugly - consequently it doesn't make any sense to be talking about this.

Reactions: njdevils1982

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4