Confirmed with Link: Devils Acquire D Ryan Graves from COL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
That doesn’t disprove anything. That’s why they got the Coleman type of gritty player but they got ones that can play as well rather say a Reaves

You say "a Reaves," there is only about one of those, and he wasn't available. Unless you are talking about goons who can play in general, but that still isn't Coleman. Coleman plays a style that is very important and very underrated in the playoffs. He basically said, they had enough top line talent with their first round loss, the grit and bottom end guys who make you hard to play against is what they were missing. They made it a point to fill those holes and it worked.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You say "a Reaves," there is only about one of those, and he wasn't available. Unless you are talking about goons who can play in general, but that still isn't Coleman. Coleman plays a style that is very important and very underrated in the playoffs. He basically said, they had enough top line talent with their first round loss, the grit and bottom end guys who make you hard to play against is what they were missing. They made it a point to fill those holes and it worked.

Coleman isn't a bottom end guy. That's why this sort of talk is silly. He's going to get paid like a 2nd line forward this off-season.

Reactions: Hisch13r

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
If we expose Subban then who the hell is going to play on the right side? Severson, Carrick, and Butcher? Are we going to pencil in Reilly Walsh for a 2nd pairing role? Go all in on signing Hamilton and then not have a backup plan when he laughs in our faces because he wants to go to a contender?

Like it was said above, we already paid him his signing bonus and I can't imagine losing him for free when we could hold him to the deadline and flip him with retention for a pretty nice prize.

It doesn't make sense whatsoever to expose Subban.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Coleman isn't a bottom end guy. That's why this sort of talk is silly. He's going to get paid like a 2nd line forward this off-season.
That's the thing with him, he's not a bottom end guy, but he plays bottom 6 like it's his job, he can play 2nd. Hell, you need him just to hang out on the 1st line for a few shifts while a guy is dealing with some equipment, he wouldn't really look out of place. But when you put him back on the 3rd line, he gets right back into his role and gets to work. That's what makes him and guys like him special.

There is different role with each line, and he can do all those, but when a team is at it's best he is doing his best work on the 3rd line. "bottom end guy," was a bad way to put it, not what I meant.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah makes sense. Look at the stat sheet and throw out the opinions of a group that literally watched every minute he played last season...

As usual, the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. He's probably not as bad as the Colorado fans are making him out to be and the stats are probably flattering relative to actual on ice impact.

if Severson got traded after a tough stretch of games the comments after the trade would probably be similar. Reading the Avs fans on the main board crow about the trade in dramatic terms makes me doubt many of them. It’s like the NJ fans who want to get rid of Subban and don’t care who might replace him. It’s just emotional. As Fitz said in his interview he wants Graves to just help NJ be tougher to play against. Shots into shin pads or not he’s the only NJ defender that might make a forward think twice about running a NJ goalie until Bahl matures. I’ll give Fitz credit for identifying something that the fans have seen and owning up to it and acknowledging they need to fix it. Like the old saying goes the first step to fixing the problem is to admit it exists. That may have been a blind spot for Shero who maybe thought round peg defenders could be hammered into square holes. Also Fitz comes down squarely on the side of Bastian in the fourth liner debate for those who see him as a replacement level player. Fitz speaks like someone who is in charge of the team building process. Hopefully he gets a chance to see it come to fruition so he can be fairly evaluated.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
if Severson got traded after a tough stretch of games the comments after the trade would probably be similar. Reading the Avs fans on the main board crow about the trade in dramatic terms makes me doubt many of them. It’s like the NJ fans who want to get rid of Subban and don’t care who might replace him. It’s just emotional. As Fitz said in his interview he wants Graves to just help NJ be tougher to play against. Shots into shin pads or not he’s the only NJ defender that might make a forward think twice about running a NJ goalie until Bahl matures. I’ll give Fitz credit for identifying something that the fans have seen and owning up to it and acknowledging they need to fix it. Like the old saying goes the first step to fixing the problem is to admit it exists. That may have been a blind spot for Shero who maybe thought round peg defenders could be hammered into square holes. Also Fitz Coke’s down squarely on the side of Bastian in the fourth liner debate for those who see him as a replacement level player. Fitz speaks like someone who is in charge of the team building process. Hopefully he gets a chance to see it come to fruition so he can be fairly evaluated.
Yeah there was 100% some weeks, maybe even some months here and there through out Sevs career, where if he was traded during that time frame, a large chunk of this fan base would sound exactly the same as them.

Reactions: My3Sons

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
if Severson got traded after a tough stretch of games the comments after the trade would probably be similar. Reading the Avs fans on the main board crow about the trade in dramatic terms makes me doubt many of them. It’s like the NJ fans who want to get rid of Subban and don’t care who might replace him. It’s just emotional. As Fitz said in his interview he wants Graves to just help NJ be tougher to play against. Shots into shin pads or not he’s the only NJ defender that might make a forward think twice about running a NJ goalie until Bahl matures. I’ll give Fitz credit for identifying something that the fans have seen and owning up to it and acknowledging they need to fix it. Like the old saying goes the first step to fixing the problem is to admit it exists. That may have been a blind spot for Shero who maybe thought round peg defenders could be hammered into square holes. Also Fitz comes down squarely on the side of Bastian in the fourth liner debate for those who see him as a replacement level player. Fitz speaks like someone who is in charge of the team building process. Hopefully he gets a chance to see it come to fruition so he can be fairly evaluated.
You make way too much sense to be posting here, I think you should look elsewhere to support the Devils, sorry, it's just not working out, like John and Yoko's separation!

My3Sons

Sponsor
You make way too much sense to be posting here, I think you should look elsewhere to support the Devils, sorry, it's just not working out, like John and Yoko's separation!

Sigh. If only that had taken. He’d probably still be alive.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Sigh. If only that had taken. He’d probably still be alive.
that hit me when I read it, really sad
I've been watching so many youtube videos lately from the talk shows in the 70's with George, John, and Ringo and some Paul, but they were really a family that couldnt stand each other to put it bluntly
and I heard an eerie quote, John was 40 when he died, 40 years ago, Kurt Cobain was 27 when he died 27 years ago, thats a strange coincidence
Anyway how about that Graves trade!

My3Sons

Sponsor
that hit me when I read it, really sad
I've been watching so many youtube videos lately from the talk shows in the 70's with George, John, and Ringo and some Paul, but they were really a family that couldnt stand each other to put it bluntly
Anyway how about that Graves trade!

If Graves can hit one guy who runs MBW after the whistle he will have done that more than any of the NJ defenders from the past few seasons. I’m not sure Graves is more than a number four defender but neither was Kulikov and he was fine. If Graves can play decently with Severson that will be fine. NJ could really use a good righty with size and reach to pair with Smith.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
If Graves can hit one guy who runs MBW after the whistle he will have done that more than any of the NJ defenders from the past few seasons. I’m not sure Graves is more than a number four defender but neither was Kulikov and he was fine. If Graves can play decently with Severson that will be fine. NJ could really use a good righty with size and reach to pair with Smith.
plus after reading the post's from the Colorado fans, it looks like we have a new whipping boy on defense and Sev's can just relax and play his game now !

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Yeah makes sense. Look at the stat sheet and throw out the opinions of a group that literally watched every minute he played last season...

As usual, the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. He's probably not as bad as the Colorado fans are making him out to be and the stats are probably flattering relative to actual on ice impact.

you do realize we have plenty of devils fans who have completely false opinions of our own players too right?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I would prefer the flexibility to roll the dice on Konstantin Okulov and Jakob Stenqvist. It will cost money to try them from europe. I'm not sure if they have outs but I would like NJ to be aggressive trying to get the next Panarin.
They wouldn’t have outs from the KHL (outside of the Devils hypothetically buying out their contract but that won’t happen) , Stenqvist’s deal is until 2021-22 and Okulov’d deal is until 2022-23.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
the guy in Florida wanted to keep players like RS and JM who were picked up by Vegas in the expansion draft because Talon, who’s anti analytics, liked old dinosaur hockey mentality. Bit them in the ass.

all analytics are is the analysis of tracked data from a game. That’s it. They have them for the team has a whole and the players. You absolutely build a team on this. That’s how Tampa won back to back cups.
Carolina hired Eric Tulsky, one of the most prominent public figure in hockey analytics and very brilliant guy, in 2014 and they just made him Assistant General Manager in January.

Even old dinosaur Lou has an analytics staff with four hired in 2019-20 and two more hired in 2020-21.

Etc Etc

It’s still some new fangled fad even though teams have used video and more simplistic statistics since forever, which qualifies as analytics, forever, this is just a way to improve and advance how they quantify and judge production and performance.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Was watching some video of Graves and I like how active he is in the offensive zone. I’m sure he gets burned sometimes but I think the benefits of active defenseman outweigh the negatives.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't think trading 2nds was the issue, more we didn't do well with the guys we got back.

Palms, Hall, and Marjo were the only guys we traded for picks that returned anything of value.

If Mueller or Goose don't crap out and became valueless things are maybe different.

Why I don't like the idea of losing Subban for free.
Goose was a bad trade. His age, how much he would cost, and the fact that slow non-physical playmaking wingers don’t have a ton of value didn’t make him a great trade target. And we traded our own fourth 2nd in a row, cannibalizing our draft capital to ridiculous degree. It’s the 35th pick (the 34th pick really, in this draft). If you’re trading your 2nd two years down the road because you already just traded the previous two 2nds after you just ended the year with the 3rd worst record, you’re delusional and throwing valuable draft capital on short term bs.

I always called Goose a bad trade, even when he was playing well. I bought his damn jersey (which I now get to treasure forever), hey, it was tough season and he was entertaining, but it was still a bad trade.

The Subban trade gave up ridiculously high 2nds, 2019 34th and 2020 37th. We would have three high end prospects with these picks. Would they have all hit? I’m not saying that, but that’s a place where chances are still a lot better.

God damn, I can’t stop myself from endlessly ranting about these 2nds, when I’m dead people will make out my spectral figure at future NHL drafts sobbing and whispering “where are my four 2nds, who took them from me…”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad