Confirmed with Link: Devils Acquire Andrei Loktionov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Semak

Adding Burns probably wouldn't have gotten us there, even though he is a good defenceman. Funny that we probably don't really need him now.

He sure helped get the team to the SCFs, but the thing I always said to myself through out his tenure he was,"when is going to score a big goal?". Can anyone tell me what was his "big goal". You get 24mil up front, you better have "big goal" potential even if you're not an 80-100pt player. Intangibles are not worth 9-10mil a year.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
He has the ability to amp up his game when the pressure's on.

After game 3 of the ECF, and being shutout twice in the same series, he refused to address the media. Mountains were made of molehills... and in game 4, he came out with a vengeance. He was all over the ice, a big part of every goal, throwing big hits, everything. It was the first time that I thought "wow, this is a captain"

The ability is there, it just takes a lot to drag it out of him.

We'll miss his motor and his production, for sure. But the one telling thing to me that said we'd be ok post-Parise... is that when times got tough, everyone turned to Marty and Elias for advice and motivation. It was clear that they were the go to leaders in the room.

It's $80 million we're free to invest in other future leaders of this team.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
He doesn't appear to have an extra gear, because he's usually already playing at or close to 100% during the regular season. So when the playoffs come and everyone else raises their games, Parise doesn't have any higher level to reach for.

kiwidevil

Then when we lose two games in a row, most on here will be saying Lou is a hack and has never addressed Parise leaving.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Then when we lose two games in a row, most on here will be saying Lou is a hack and has never addressed Parise leaving.

Don't get me wrong I still think we need some extra scoring. Could come from within what we already have, or could come from a trade. If we could get our PP to start working steadily 5 on 4, and keep our PK going then we will be even better I think.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm not that fickle with my opinions to let a losing streak change my mind.

Losing Parise is an immediate hit to production, but provides more flexibility for long term gains in the end.

That's $80 million free to put together all the right pieces of a Cup winning team in the immediate future.
It's our reality, and we'll move on eventually.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm not that fickle with my opinions to let a losing streak change my mind.

Losing Parise is an immediate hit to production, but provides more flexibility for long term gains in the end.

That's $80 million free to put together all the right pieces of a Cup winning team in the immediate future.

I'm fine with not signing Parise for that contract. Had we done it, we wouldn't have had Zajac locked up, and wouldn't have had the cap space to re sign Clarkson likely. So we were getting ****ed either way somewhere!:laugh:

Semak

He has the ability to amp up his game when the pressure's on.

After game 3 of the ECF, and being shutout twice in the same series, he refused to address the media. Mountains were made of molehills... and in game 4, he came out with a vengeance. He was all over the ice, a big part of every goal, throwing big hits, everything. It was the first time that I thought "wow, this is a captain"

The ability is there, it just takes a lot to drag it out of him.

We'll miss his motor and his production, for sure. But the one telling thing to me that said we'd be ok post-Parise... is that when times got tough, everyone turned to Marty and Elias for advice and motivation. It was clear that they were the go to leaders in the room.

It's $80 million we're free to invest in other future leaders of this team.

And ultimately, I'm sure Lou knew this too. In today's market, that's not even 8mil a year.

He doesn't appear to have an extra gear, because he's usually already playing at or close to 100% during the regular season. So when the playoffs come and everyone else raises their games, Parise doesn't have any higher level to reach for.

This is more of what I felt. He didn't have the ability to amp up his game, it was already at the highest level most of the time. The problem with him was in POs, where everyone is fighting for an inch and amping up their games, he couldn't get away with cruising around the net to score like he always does. And with little or no ability to score beyond the lower end of the circles, you can't get paid like a top player in the league and not be able to score game/series changing goals. And at 28, that's not going to just magically appear.

Minny fans are going to realize his a great player, a great regular season player and intangibles guy but he is not the difference maker who will bring you the cup on his own.

Semak

Like NJD has done many times before. We should be used to it by now:laugh:

kiwidevil

I really like the way our PP is going at the moment. We are creating zone pressure and getting shots on net. Greene has been a revelation. I love our second PP unit too, keep it simple and get shots on net. Bernier does have some good calmness about him on the PP.

We are now up to 16th in the league in PP% now too.

Semak

I really like the way our PP is going at the moment. We are creating zone pressure and getting shots on net. Greene has been a revelation. I love our second PP unit too, keep it simple and get shots on net. Bernier does have some good calmness about him on the PP.

Was thinking that too yesterday. And right now, Bernier is my favorite player. You can see his confidence growing and some of the skills that made him a 1st round pick. Not making any crazy predictions with him, and I like CBGB, but would like to see him play with JJ and perhaps Butler cause he can bring some muscle and board work to the line. Almost like a poor man's Clarkson on the team, if that makes sense:laugh:

bmqdevils

Feb 5, 2011
the only place we could use parise right now is the pk which has been doing fine. our goal scoring is fine. just think kovy has 3 goals and we've lost once in regulation. when he gets on fire the same people posting that we need a scorer will be posting about how great our offense is and how we don't even need parise.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Some good news about this year compared to last.

Last year after 10 games we had 21 goals for not counting shootout winners. After 10 games we had 28 goals against not counting shootout losers.

This year we have 27 goals for, and 21 goals against not including the shootout loser. Kovy only had 2 goals last year through the first 11 games. He left game 11 injured, and scored a goal when he came back into the lineup 5 games later.

Semak

Some good news about this year compared to last.

Last year after 10 games we had 21 goals for not counting shootout winners. After 10 games we had 28 goals against not counting shootout losers.

This year we have 27 goals for, and 21 goals against not including the shootout loser. Kovy only had 2 goals last year through the first 11 games. He left game 11 injured, and scored a goal when he came back into the lineup 5 games later.

Food for thought or thoughts of food. Either way, I'm hungry.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
the only place we could use parise right now is the pk which has been doing fine.

I'm going to say shootout.
Josefson & Gio are a treat to watch on the PK, filling in the void from what Parise & Henrique were last season.

Kovalchuk-Parise was just an unfair 1-2 punch to have in the shootout, though.
That'll all be forgotten when one of Zajac/Henrique earns their spot as 2nd shooter :nod:

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Food for thought or thoughts of food. Either way, I'm hungry.

Me too!:laugh:

I still would feel comfortable with another scorer. Could be Butler, could be Loktionov. Henrique coming back has been a huge help too.

We're on pace to score a few less goals than we did last year, but on pace to give up 34 fewer goals than last year. Pretending it's an 82 game season of course.

Actually after last game we're on pace for 5 more goals. That can shift game by game though.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

I still would prefer that they start Kovy off at the left point, but the good thing is that the PP unit is moving around much more. It's no longer the "stand still and shuffle the puck around the outside of the formation" PP that Oates had going. It's more unpredictable now, and teams can't cheat to cover the Kovy one-timer.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
This is more of what I felt. He didn't have the ability to amp up his game, it was already at the highest level most of the time. The problem with him was in POs, where everyone is fighting for an inch and amping up their games, he couldn't get away with cruising around the net to score like he always does. And with little or no ability to score beyond the lower end of the circles, you can't get paid like a top player in the league and not be able to score game/series changing goals. And at 28, that's not going to just magically appear.

That's what happened with the Devils some years after the Lockout. Overachieved because they played hard every regular season game with a great goalie only to not be able to step it up because everyone else plays 100 percent in the playoffs. Hell its the reason I thought the Rags were over rated last year.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005

Our entry into the zone has been great so far and works like a charm. D to a streaking Elias up the middle and then immediately dumping the puck to a winger on the near boards as soon as he breaks into the zone. Hopefully other teams don't pick up on that later in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad