Devils 2021-22 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
In a normal year definitely but the top 8 is sooooooo strong this year we’d still have no chance. Washington’s 8th in pt% and on pace for 107 lol

and yet NJ has beaten both the Caps and Canes in solid fashion. If NJ sorts out its consistency they will be a good team.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
and yet NJ has beaten both the Caps and Canes in solid fashion. If NJ sorts out its consistency they will be a good team.
Yeah, other than a few games while NJ was severely short handed, no complaints with how the 18 skaters dressed of played as a whole.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
In a normal year definitely but the top 8 is sooooooo strong this year we’d still have no chance. Washington’s 8th in pt% and on pace for 107 lol
Yup. But there are Lots of positives. Jack playing like a 1C, Nico playing like a low-end 1C, Mercer playing like a 2-3C at 20, Bratt playing like a star, Johnsson rebounding, Dougie being a Devil, Siegs playing like a defensive animal, Severson generally playing well. Unfortunately, goaltending changes the narrative, but the skaters who need to play well (other than Ty) are

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
I'd say our goal tending is likely only a short term issue and in the long term this won't effect our trajectory, but we've seen good teams struggle for years trying to figure out their goal tending.
It depends. Daws and Schmid look good as young goalies in the AHL. The thing that kinda sucks is that we kind of have to bring back the same tandem unless Bernier goes on LTIR/retires. I guess they could always buy him out if he’s healthy enough, but not sure I want to do that

Camille the Eel

Im just not seeing it with them at wing. To me they play like a defensive line and Tatar is miscast in that role. I have a feeling they will revamp the forwards this offseason so it won’t be a long term issue.
well it’s a default solution for sure, he’s playing with them by default as it looks like the way to get more out of Mercer and Zacha and others elsewhere. Yes. And we do need to upgrade overall at wing badly; to add scoring threats at wing whom other teams have to respect.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It depends. Daws and Schmid look good as young goalies in the AHL. The thing that kinda sucks is that we kind of have to bring back the same tandem unless Bernier goes on LTIR/retires. I guess they could always buy him out if he’s healthy enough, but not sure I want to do that
I think Dev's have to bring in another 1a-1b type goalie, and then if Bernier is healthy try to sneak him to the AHL. Worst case scenario is someone claims Bernier.

But I don't think we can go into next season with Blackwood and Bernier as the tandem.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Just finished watching yesterdays game and man, I’m happy we scored 7 goals but that display of goaltending on both sides of the rink was absolutely horrendous.

@Bleedred must’ve worked overtime to choose his softie of the night because he had about 6 options in our game alone lol

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Vesey on Nico's wing is not optimal, but Vesey has played well this year. Playing a defensive role he's had very good defensive #'s 5v5. He's over 50% cf. He's been very good on the PK.

Done a decent job getting shots on net, but he's only shooting 6% 5v5. And the team on ice shooting percent is 4.5% which is the lowest on the team.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I feel for Nico. He has a never die mentality and I love that about him but we have to help the guy out because we can’t keep giving him 4th liners to work with on his wings, it’s getting borderline ridiculous now.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just finished watching yesterdays game and man, I’m happy we scored 7 goals but that display of goaltending on both sides of the rink was absolutely horrendous.

@Bleedred must’be worked overtime to choose his softie of the night because he had about 6 options in our game alone lol
It was the Svechnikov goal on Gillies, which was the first of the game.

I nailed Gillies for goals 1, 2 and 4. I can't even remember which ones exactly I got LaFontaine for, but I know it was 4 and I seem to remember most of them coming towards the last part of the game.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007

@Bleedred must’be worked overtime to choose his softie of the night because he had about 6 options in our game alone lol

It was eye opening, Gillies and LaFontaine are probably 95 percentile goalies in the world, and to be in the NHL you need to be 99 percentile, and it's incredibly hard to know who is that caliber. Seems like all NHL teams basically just draft a bunch of guys, have them play for 5-7 years and then throw them into the fire and see who survives. There has to be a better process but I can't think of one.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It was eye opening, Gillies and LaFontaine are probably 95 percentile goalies in the world, and to be in the NHL you need to be 99 percentile, and it's incredibly hard to know who is that caliber. Seems like all NHL teams basically just draft a bunch of guys, have them play for 5-7 years and then throw them into the fire and see who survives. There has to be a better process but I can't think of one.

Nah they're both definitely in the 99th.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I've asked this before and never got an answer, but purely out of curiosity of how the rules work, when if ever can we trade Bastian? I know not this season, but next? When his contract is up and negotiating next contract with RFA rights?

I don't want to trade him or even start that topic, this is 100% just trying to understand how waivers work.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Nah they're both definitely in the 99th.

Chose those numbers pretty arbitrarily to convey meaning. Point being it's very hard to find who lies on the edge of the distribution, the top 60 G in the world, and project how long they will be there with any sort of certainty. That one game seemed to make it clear neither of them are there, but a guy like Michael Houser can put up a great game in Buffalo and look like an NHL caliber goalie along with a few great games last year. Karel Vejmelka looks like an NHL caliber goalie, no one would guess that before training camp started. Just collect bodies who show well in lower leagues I guess and throw them to the wolves.

Last edited:

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I've asked this before and never got an answer, but purely out of curiosity of how the rules work, when if ever can we trade Bastian? I know not this season, but next? When his contract is up and negotiating next contract with RFA rights?

I don't want to trade him or even start that topic, this is 100% just trying to understand how waivers work.

That's a good question for @mouser or @uncleben.

If no other team put in a claim, or if all other claiming teams pass on an offer to claim Bastian, he can be traded. But I don't know if that expires at the end of the season or if it carries over until next season.

Technically, "waivers expiration" is 30 days/10 games played, but I agree. I don't think that applies to trading claimed players.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Went in the deep end (aka the main board) and a couple of Edmonton fans were saying that there would be a couple of teams that can honestly come up with a package they’d consider moving McDavid for and we were one of those teams. The offer was Jack and Luke Hughes plus Blackwood.

I’m fully aware that it will never happen but if Holland called Fitz and proposed that very same deal, I don’t see how we wouldn’t say yes.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Went in the deep end (aka the main board) and a couple of Edmonton fans were saying that there would be a couple of teams that can honestly come up with a package they’d consider moving McDavid for and we were one of those teams. The offer was Jack and Luke Hughes plus Blackwood.

I’m fully aware that it will never happen but if Holland called Fitz and proposed that very same deal, I don’t see how we wouldn’t say yes.
I f***ing love Jack, and think Luke could be excellent as well but i think i take that without hesitation honestly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad