Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
shero went into that season with kinkaid as the starter. there were plenty of other goalies to try out. kinkaid was exactly what they wanted. if he didnt work out or the team was not competitive than they could punt the season. everyone won in the end but lets not act like this is a bubble team when it really is a bottom feeder that is rebuilding.

best case scenario is that we are the 2018-2019 avalanche.

What does any of that have to do with the fact Kinkaid stunk last season?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
What does any of that have to do with the fact Kinkaid stunk last season?

hmm everything? schneider was the worst goalie in the league until 2019. he was one of the worst contracts in the league regardless of AAV. now this whole board acts like it cant take on an overpriced player for 3 years. it just seems ridiculous. this team makeup was awful last season and not being good seemed to be a strategy.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
yeah real controversial to want to win the lotto almost every season as opposed to building a team in a tough market.

this maybe controversial but id rather be the better team in the standings year in and year out than win the not-sign-a-bad-contract wars.

Each team has made the playoffs once in the last 3 seasons. Neither is very impressive.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
At this point I’m fine with overspending on Panarin . Maybe even Duchene and have Hughes play wing for a year or move Duchene to wing ? After Panarin and Duchene , I’d consider Nyqvist Dzingle and JoHan the next best forward UFA options. I like Nitto but we are already small up front .
Kessel would be great to add but doesn’t fit age wise with the rest of the core.
If Ehlers is honestly available , I’d be looking into that big time. Perfect age , fast , skilled , and signed to a relatively good contract .

Reactions: mdj12784

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
hmm everything? schneider was the worst goalie in the league until 2019. he was one of the wordt contracts in the league regardless of AAV. this team makeup was awful last season and not being good seemed to be a strategy.

So Kinkaid was fine because we wanted him to be horrible?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
So Kinkaid was fine because we wanted him to be horrible?

kinkaid was fine when this team was healthy. they were no where near competitive and it was a total team effort and not kinkaids fault.

and if it was then its horrible management to expect kinkaid to be a #1 with no real backup.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
shero went into that season with kinkaid as the starter. there were plenty of other goalies to try out. kinkaid was exactly what they wanted. if he didnt work out or the team was not competitive than they could punt the season. everyone won in the end but lets not act like this is a bubble team when it really is a bottom feeder that is rebuilding.

best case scenario is that we are the 2018-2019 avalanche.
I think that's fair, and I'm also completely fine with that.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
At this point I’m fine with overspending on Panarin . Maybe even Duchene and have Hughes play wing for a year or move Duchene to wing ? After Panarin and Duchene , I’d consider Nyqvist Dzingle and JoHan the next best forward UFA options. I like Nitto but we are already small up front .
Kessel would be great to add but doesn’t fit age wise with the rest of the core.
If Ehlers is honestly available , I’d be looking into that big time. Perfect age , fast , skilled , and signed to a relatively good contract .

You dont have to worry about Panarin or Duchene they wont consider us

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
kinkaid was fine when this team was healthy. they were no where near competitive and it was a total team effort and not kinkaids fault.

So was Kinkaid fine or did he stink? The Devils were pretty healthy when he stunk at the beginning of this season.

The only good goaltending the Devils got this year was MBW and Schneider when he came back from his injury. Schneider actually did play behind the team that wasn’t healthy at that point.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
and if it was then its horrible management to expect kinkaid to be a #1 with no real backup.

If Kinkaid is fine then why would it be a problem to have him as the goalie? It’s only a problem if he is bad.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
hmm everything? schneider was the worst goalie in the league until 2019. he was one of the worst contracts in the league regardless of AAV. now this whole board acts like it cant take on an overpriced player for 3 years. it just seems ridiculous. this team makeup was awful last season and not being good seemed to be a strategy.
The team makeup was not awful. It was basically the same team that made the playoffs the year prior.

They just did not figure the goal tending was going to be that bad early in the year. And no one did, nobody was advocating bringing in #1 goalie. Such a move wasn't even on the radar.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
So was Kinkaid fine or did he stink? The Devils were pretty healthy when he stunk at the beginning of this season.

The only good goaltending the Devils got this year was MBW and Schneider when he came back from his injury. Schneider actually did play behind the team that wasn’t healthy at that point.

yeah thats not true. he didnt stink until the team completely stunk. they were also the worst 3on3 team ive seen in recent memory.

kinkaid was bad last season but he wasnt until the devils were completely overmatched.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
The team makeup was not awful. It was basically the same team that made the playoffs the year prior.

They just did not figure the goal tending was going to be that bad early in the year. And no one did, nobody was advocating bringing in #1 goalie. Such a move wasn't even on the radar.

god this whole board was advocating for that move

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
people are going to take this as me defending kinkaid and you know what im just going to own it.

without him we dont make the playoffs after a long drought and we dont draft jack hughes. hes made the USD equivalent of a failed schneider season so whatever dude is a legend in my mind. respect.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
yeah thats not true. he didnt stink until the team completely stunk. they were also the worst 3on3 team ive seen in recent memory.

kinkaid was bad last season but he wasnt until the devils were completely overmatched
And then Blackwood came in and looked very good, and then Schneid's came back and looked very good.

Kink started the season well enough, but then went into a tail spin, he was abysmal for much of the season.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
And then Blackwood came in and looked very good, and then Schneid's came back and looked very good.

Kink started the season well enough, but then went into a tail spin, he was abysmal for much of the season.

yeah we’ll see how they play out over a full season. blackwood is legit and im hoping schneider bounces back.

but just recognize the whole team went into a tailspin. to put that on a goalie like kinkaid is foolish.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
nah would still rather beat a team in the standings than the prospect pool.

You need better players to do that. You are being extra ridiculous tonight.

And yes. Kinkaid was dog shit last year. Goaltending sunk us the first half of the season.

You keep waffling on whether we stuck with Kinkaid because they expected him to suck and this false notion he was really good (despite the fact we literally gave him away to Columbus who never started him)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If Kinkaid is fine then why would it be a problem to have him as the goalie? It’s only a problem if he is bad.
Ya this seems to be conflicting points by Haak.

On the one hand Kink was good, and teams wanted him, he could probably be a starter somewhere in the league.

On the other hand, the team was poorly constructed and they should have brought in a #1 goalie last offseason.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ya this seems to be conflicting points by Haak.

On the one hand Kink was good, and teams wanted him, he could probably be a starter somewhere in the league.

On the other hand, the team was poorly constructed and they should have brought in a #1 goalie last offseason.

It’s an alternate reality machine to try and absolve Kinkaid of all the blame

Reactions: Bleedred

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
You need better players to do that. You are being extra ridiculous tonight.

oh come on. we both know that is not true.

i stand by the claim that i would rather a better NHL team than future NHL team.

im glad it worked out for us this season but lets not wake up to play the slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad