Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
After a (mandatory) 3 month vacation from HF, I have returned. Missed drafting Jack Hughes, trading for Subban and Gusev!

artworks-000138846709-0f50ga-t500x500.jpg

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Adding Linsey Vonn to the fold doesn't suck either. Although Blake Coleman does fine too and we had Jacob Josefson somehow pulling. Kathryn Tappen might be the last one I was this pleased about tho...

Edit: wow, the internet is amazing. Not moving to Sweden at some point was obviously the most major flaw in my life.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
MAILBAG: A Spot for Boqvist and Subban's Impact
Greene played some very tough minutes over the course of the season.

Subban will likely find a spot on the Devils top pairing, where I imagine he could be paired with Sami Vatanen, against opponent's top lines. That frees up Greene to play on a second or third pairing with easier minutes and keeping him fresher for the penalty-kill, which already finished fourth in the NHL in efficiency at 84.3 percent.

Those fresh legs can go a long way. Greene was one of the stars of the penalty-kill, having played the most penalty-kill minutes in the league last season with 335.55 minutes, over 70 minutes more than Esa Lindell of the Dallas Stars.

to greene haters: just sayin

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
just wonderin - i know it was prob talked about, but does trav end up w his # retired by the devils? or is he ring of honor? he's gonna jump past maclean and stevens for games played w us this season

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Adding Linsey Vonn to the fold doesn't suck either. Although Blake Coleman does fine too and we had Jacob Josefson somehow pulling. Kathryn Tappen might be the last one I was this pleased about tho...

Edit: wow, the internet is amazing. Not moving to Sweden at some point was obviously the most major flaw in my life.

There are some very unattractive hockey players with gorgeous wives/girlfriends. It doesn’t surprise me one bit that an actual good looking guy (Josefson) would find a beautiful wife.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
just wonderin - i know it was prob talked about, but does trav end up w his # retired by the devils? or is he ring of honor? he's gonna jump past maclean and stevens for games played w us this season

This is what retiring Daneyko's number has done. Travis Zajac has done a lot for this franchise, but he should not have his number retired.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I see more and more articles assuming the D pairings will be

Vatanen - Subban

So that leaves Severson, Greene, Butcher, Smith, Carrick and Mueller to fill out the bottom 4.

Quite happy with a Carrick or Mueller being 1st two injury replacements. Much better than what we’ve had years past.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
This is what retiring Daneyko's number has done. Travis Zajac has done a lot for this franchise, but he should not have his number retired.
Reaching. If Zajac won 3 cups with the team, people would be fine retiring his # as well.

Not at all the same thing.

Reactions: devilsblood

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I love Zajac but I don't think they should retire his number

that being said, he is 14 points from 3rd all-time in franchise history and 9 goals from 4th (17 from 3rd) in franchise history

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Reaching. If Zajac won 3 cups with the team, people would be fine retiring his # as well.

Not at all the same thing.

It's not a reach at all. The Devils have 4 HOF level players' numbers retired and one average defenseman who played a very long time for the team. Most teams just have HOF level players. There wouldn't even be a question of Zajac's jersey being retired for other teams, Cups or no Cups - Zajac has been a fine player for over a decade. At his best he was a borderline top-line center.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
It's not a reach at all. The Devils have 4 HOF level players' numbers retired and one average defenseman who played a very long time for the team. Most teams just have HOF level players. There wouldn't even be a question of Zajac's jersey being retired for other teams, Cups or no Cups - Zajac has been a fine player for over a decade. At his best he was a borderline top-line center.
C'mon. Comparing Dano and Zajac in terms of jersey retirement is ridiculous. Average dman that WON THREE STANLEY CUPS when the organization was in its infancy is not at all comparable to a 2/3 C who hasn't won a damn thing.

No way in hell should Zajac have his jersey retired, which we obviously agree on. But using Dano as the comparable is just absurd. Absolutely illogical.

Reactions: glenwo2

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
C'mon. Comparing Dano and Zajac in terms of jersey retirement is ridiculous. Average dman that WON THREE STANLEY CUPS when the organization was in its infancy is not at all comparable to a 2/3 C who hasn't won a damn thing.

No way in hell should Zajac have his jersey retired, which we obviously agree on. But using Dano as the comparable is just absurd. Absolutely illogical.

do you think that if Zajac played from 1995-2003 he would have won 3 Cups too?

or if Dano played the last 12 years or so he would have won anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad