Prospect Info: Development starting 7/11, 3 on 3 tourney 7/14 w/ stream and in person attendance

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Only watched the last few rounds but Robins looked kind meh and Guryev looked awful. Am I wrong?

I agree with AK-47 looking great.
They didn't look great but it's still a 3v3 scrimmage. Hard to take anything from this ultimately. Best to just enjoy that a few guys popped more than expected.

Reactions: Cas and Sandisfan

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Lund has improved his skating a ton it looks like. Cuts to the inside and challenges defenders really well. It’s all 3 on 3 but you can still take away some skill components from players. Great finish. Hope he takes off in college.

Havelid looked meh, wasn’t a great few games from him and was trying to do too much with the puck and missed on a few players in clear passing lanes

Merkley seemed confident with the puck and made a few nice moves. I think he’s become more conservative in his play because of how his development has gone. Looks about the same as at the end of the season.

Kniazev makes questionable decisions with the puck in the offensive zone, as well as questionable activations. Admire the effort though. Hatakka mostly unnoticeable in a good way.

Bordeleau, Eklund and Gushchin are all really skilled with the puck and comfortable carrying it. They’re fun as hell. Gushchin has a fast and mostly inaccurate shot. But man is it sexy when it lands. Eklund is hunching a ton more when he’s carrying the puck but does give him better protection and acceleration. Limits his ability to spot targets at range though. Did have a super sexy long pass to one of the tryout guys. Bordeleau is fun. That’s the full assessment. Tiny but confident. Like Eklund they’re both going to struggle to put the puck in the net cause they’re not dangerous at range and they’re too small for the net front.

Robins looked fine but was just a finisher. He’s not as dynamic as the others in his class at carrying or making plays. Good looking one timer during one of the games, and potted a few goals.

Fisher surprised me. Has some patience with the puck and a heads up game. Handled the puck well and has lots of speed for his size. I’m intrigued for 76th overall.

Furlong had a few offensive chances and got a goal somewhere in there. He’s a bit quicker than I remember but I still don’t like his defending the rush.

Guryev was unnoticeable but was probably getting walked and I just didn’t catch it.

Kashnikov is funny. So big. Decent top speed. Plays the game in a straight line with his passing decisions and when he decides to shoot. He’s hard to get a read on every time I watch him.

Wiesblatt mixed it up and was physical, mostly ineffective at generating offense but I think he did get a goal somewhere in there too. Made a couple pretty moves too. With his pesky nature, speed and some skill he could still make the NHL but I don’t think the dynamic skill is there.

Coe continued to do Coe things and make great passes, a few nice shootout moves, and also still can’t get a puck back off anyone.

Bystedt was mostly fine. He gets a good top speed going, and can make some moves around defenders. Saw him dipping the shoulder a lot and going around defenders which was promising. Hard shot that missed the net a bunch.

Muldowney and Laubach seemed a bit behind everyone else. I’m also not sure if that’s how their names are spelled.

Spitserov should only play 3 on 3 hockey and that’s it. I have never watched him play outside of prospect scrimmages and he has looked decent. I don’t know how you get like no points playing for Vermont though last year so maybe I’ll watch some games this year.

Speaking of, Barnett seemed to handle his defensive role fine. Stopped lots of rushes and moved the puck out. Decent speed for his size. I don’t mind the pick if he can just focus on that and turn into a depth guy.

Young seemed similar to Robins to me. Good looking shot. Need to watch him too.

Emond was Emond.

Mann, Gaudreau and Beaupit were good to great sometimes, except Gaudreau had an awful shootout in there somewhere. Mann was the most ready it felt like. Backup goalies were bad.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
[...]

Bordeleau, Eklund and Gushchin are all really skilled with the puck and comfortable carrying it. They’re fun as hell. Gushchin has a fast and mostly inaccurate shot. But man is it sexy when it lands. Eklund is hunching a ton more when he’s carrying the puck but does give him better protection and acceleration. Limits his ability to spot targets at range though. Did have a super sexy long pass to one of the tryout guys. Bordeleau is fun. That’s the full assessment. Tiny but confident. Like Eklund they’re both going to struggle to put the puck in the net cause they’re not dangerous at range and they’re too small for the net front.

[...]

Interesting choice of words there, "dangerous at range". I think that's a skillset, maybe something they can learn or obtain. When I see Johnny Gaudreau, I see someone dangerous at range and Gaudreau is even smaller than these guys.

sub_zero94

Jan 26, 2007
Just looked like Robbins got better and better as the tournament went along.. Not so good in the first game or two
Some really crafty indirect passes from Eklund in the game that just show his hockey I.Q is on another level

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Lund has improved his skating a ton it looks like. Cuts to the inside and challenges defenders really well. It’s all 3 on 3 but you can still take away some skill components from players. Great finish. Hope he takes off in college.

Havelid looked meh, wasn’t a great few games from him and was trying to do too much with the puck and missed on a few players in clear passing lanes

Merkley seemed confident with the puck and made a few nice moves. I think he’s become more conservative in his play because of how his development has gone. Looks about the same as at the end of the season.

Kniazev makes questionable decisions with the puck in the offensive zone, as well as questionable activations. Admire the effort though. Hatakka mostly unnoticeable in a good way.

Robins looked fine but was just a finisher. He’s not as dynamic as the others in his class at carrying or making plays. Good looking one timer during one of the games, and potted a few goals.

Fisher surprised me. Has some patience with the puck and a heads up game. Handled the puck well and has lots of speed for his size. I’m intrigued for 76th overall.

Furlong had a few offensive chances and got a goal somewhere in there. He’s a bit quicker than I remember but I still don’t like his defending the rush.

Guryev was unnoticeable but was probably getting walked and I just didn’t catch it.

Kashnikov is funny. So big. Decent top speed. Plays the game in a straight line with his passing decisions and when he decides to shoot. He’s hard to get a read on every time I watch him.

Wiesblatt mixed it up and was physical, mostly ineffective at generating offense but I think he did get a goal somewhere in there too. Made a couple pretty moves too. With his pesky nature, speed and some skill he could still make the NHL but I don’t think the dynamic skill is there.

Coe continued to do Coe things and make great passes, a few nice shootout moves, and also still can’t get a puck back off anyone.

Bystedt was mostly fine. He gets a good top speed going, and can make some moves around defenders. Saw him dipping the shoulder a lot and going around defenders which was promising. Hard shot that missed the net a bunch.

Muldowney and Laubach seemed a bit behind everyone else. I’m also not sure if that’s how their names are spelled.

Spitserov should only play 3 on 3 hockey and that’s it. I have never watched him play outside of prospect scrimmages and he has looked decent. I don’t know how you get like no points playing for Vermont though last year so maybe I’ll watch some games this year.

Speaking of, Barnett seemed to handle his defensive role fine. Stopped lots of rushes and moved the puck out. Decent speed for his size. I don’t mind the pick if he can just focus on that and turn into a depth guy.

Young seemed similar to Robins to me. Good looking shot. Need to watch him too.

Emond was Emond.

Mann, Gaudreau and Beaupit were good to great sometimes, except Gaudreau had an awful shootout in there somewhere. Mann was the most ready it felt like. Backup goalies were bad.
3 on 3 but Ozzy had some good moments protecting the puck, being patient with it, bringing it into the zone. I think that was what really stuck out. His skill wasn’t great but he seemed to be in the right spot a lot of the time, he’s never going to be Eklund but I do like him and think he can be a good third liner.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Positively surprised how the scrimmage went. Of course you don't really see the potential yet, but Lund was the real surprise. It's just great to see '22 draft picks doing okay to well. The real deal starts when it's 5v5 in AHL or NHL.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Positively surprised how the scrimmage went. Of course you don't really see the potential yet, but Lund was the real surprise. It's just great to see '22 draft picks doing okay to well. The real deal starts when it's 5v5 in AHL or NHL.
My thoughts on the 22 draftees is pretty similar.

Bystedt: had a few moments of offensive talent. Was largely overshadowed by other guys but he’s a big dude, has speed, and some skill.

Lund: he shined. I’m very happy he shined. VERY fast, very good shot, pretty big. Probably can improve in puck protection as if they were actually playing, dudes getting knocked on his butt but he could be a good one to watch.

Havelid: largely invisible. He was on Eklund and Gushchin’s team who looked so good with the puck. Had a few good offensive plays but honestly was expecting a bit more from him as he tried to do too much at times. Obviously not basing too much on this at all though. Excited to see what he can do this year.

Fisher: holy shit this dude is huge after just graduating high school. He had some good offensive plays but I mostly didn’t notice him other than he’s big.

Beaupit: I mean he’s a goalie. None of them looked great except Mann. I do expect him to be Sawchenko level but that’s about it.

Furlong: I think he stood out mostly because of confirmation bias. Seemed like I heard his name a few times and saw some nice little plays on both ends. Think he scored a nice goal in front of the net but couldn’t really tell.

Lauback, Barnett, Muldowney: throwing all 3 in the same category because they were all pretty much invisible. Barnett had a couple good defensive stick plays, Muldowney had a couple chances that he missed, Laubach was entirely invisible. All 3 need a lot of development to even make it to the AHL but all are really young and should have a lot of time to improve.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Don’t know why this intrigued me so much but check out the crazy bend on Lund’s stick on his shootout goal.

Attachments

• 29FA134B-10ED-411B-ABBD-3E111AA56C7D.png
    29FA134B-10ED-411B-ABBD-3E111AA56C7D.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Love
Reactions: Sandisfan and knu

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
My overall thoughts, keeping in mind this was a 3v3 showcase and it's hard to really judge a player from that:

-The '22 draft class was very impressive
-Lund was the MVP of the night, just did everything well and scored a ton. I'm pumped to watch him in college next year.
-Bystedt looked pretty decent with good puck skills and solid speed. A few nice moves from him overall.
-Fisher was very impressive. I zeroed in on him most of the night after noticing him on his first shift. He has great skating technique and transitions very well. It's rare to see a guy as big as him skate that well fundamentally. He also has good offensive instincts and handles the puck well. Of the '22's he was probably the 2nd best after Lund. Read a decent amount about him after the draft and he could end up being a steal where we got him.
-Havelid was slightly disappointing. I expected him to dazzle in a 3v3 type situation but barely noticed him despite actively watching for him. Scored a very nice shootout goal and had a few moves but that's about it.
-Furlong showed some nice offensive instincts and score a couple beauties. Didn't notice much else from him.
-Bords/Eklund/Gushchin - performed as expected and were a step above most other players.
-Ozzy - I like him when I watch him, mostly because of his energy and speed. He likely tops out as a 3rd liner due to limits on his offensive abilities but he does have some moves.
-Kashnikov - impressed me. Huge guy and can skate fairly well for his size. Also has a booming shot. He seems like a project but I like his upside if development continues on the right path.
-Mann - was the best goalie and it was noticeable. Good positioning and looked like someone who has played pro hockey.
-I liked Gaudreau as well. He battles and is athletic. I still think he has the most upside of our goalie prospects.
-Spitserov looked great as he did during last years rookie tournament but I watched a few of his games in Vermont last year and he was not good. Don't think he has much of a future to be honest, but he's fun to watch in these rookie games especially on breakaways/shootouts.
-Coe looked good. Showed his puck skills and skating abilities.
-Barely noticed Robins for large portions of his games which was slightly disappointing. Thought he'd be one of the more noticeable players last night.
-Merkley was fine. Again, thought he'd be more dominant, but it seemed like he was picking and choosing his moments of when to really utilize his skill which seems weird for a 3v3. The other guys who his skill level were putting it on display all night but he had a few moments.
-Expected more out of Cardwell and Kniazev, but I really don't want to write much in the form of negatives from a 3v3 prospect showcase.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The four guys who should have dominated (Eklund, Bordeleau, Merkley, Weatherby) did. Good sign but not meaningful.

Gushchin and Lund were the standouts otherwise. Furlong had some nice moments. Nothing special otherwise. Robins, Coe, Kniazev, Hatakka we’re a little disappointing.
Hatakka did exactly what I expected, which was only play defense.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I thought Coe was fun. Seemed like he finished the scrimmage strong but had a slow start. He was maybe a little more of a complementary guy than a playdriver

Shout-out to Mitchell Russell. Had some solid moments

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad