Prospect Info: Development Camp Thread July 1st - July 5th in Jasper

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I hope I just need to learn some of our prospects better, otherwise that offensive depth. woof. Other than Yamamoto, Benson and Maximov, is there anyone worth being excited about?

Ostap Safin is a guy to watch. He's got all the tools to be an impact player IMO, just a matter of if he puts it all together. Bobby Mac's final list had him at #51 so getting him at #115 is definitely a steal. Aapeli Rasanen is another of my personal favorites. I think I'm the self proclaimed leader of his fan club, but I'm confident he'll turn into a Mark Letestu/Nick Bonino/Erik Haula type player at a minimum.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Saigeon is an interesting invite. Definitely someone that could earn a contract I feel. Never hurts with more depth at C. Hope he has a good showing in camp.

Brock Otten said:
One of the most improved players in the OHL this year from start to finish. The former 4th overall pick struggled last year in his NHL draft year, but really broke out and emerged as a potential front line talent in 2017. In particular, his play in the second half showed great promise for the future. In the final 37 games of the regular season, he had 17 goals and 17 assists (nearly a point per game). It's clear that he's worked hard to improve his skating, which was definitely one of the things holding him back. It still needs more work, but he most definitely looked quicker this year. In Saigeon you've got a potential two-way center who can put the puck in the net and play with intensity. On the downside, he did have a bit of a lackluster playoff performance which could hurt his chances of being drafted this year.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
One more point about JP -- It's a 9 hour time difference in time zones. If the only purpose is to do a little training for 5 days then it's hardly worth the additional missed training because of jetlag.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Intro to pro hockey?
sigh.. maybe this is why the oilers only develop players drafted 1st overall.. and even then don't do it well.

What do you think a rookie development camp is?

Intro to being a pro 101. Meal planning, Offseason training, fitness testing and feedback, drills, etc. There is nothing mind blowing going on.

Look at the list of attendees, not a single player with a full year of pro hockey in North America is going to be there.

Caggiula has the same amount of pro experience that JP does, why aren't you lambasting him? How about Benning?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
One thing I did notice is they have Yamamoto, Gambardella, and Benson all on the same team - they're without a doubt the three best forwards there.

Could be some long games for team Messier.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
One more point about JP -- It's an 9 hour time difference in time zones. If the only purpose is to do a little training for 5 days then it's hardly worth the additional missed training because of jetlag.

I also heard Oilers kept him away to keep the Pizza budget reasonable :sarcasm:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
is this open to public?

umm asking for a friend who is going to the mountains this long weekend

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What do you think a rookie development camp is?

Intro to being a pro 101. Meal planning, Offseason training, fitness testing and feedback, drills, etc. There is nothing mind blowing going on.

Look at the list of attendees, not a single player with a full year of pro hockey in North America is going to be there.

Caggiula has the same amount of pro experience that JP does, why aren't you lambasting him? How about Benning?

Clearly if JP busts it will be because he didn't attend development camp this year :laugh:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Is Todd's kid even worth having there or could we have invited someone better?

He at least seems to be a decent NCAA player.

There's worse invites out there. PIT invited Mario's kid who is 21 years old and playing in a Tier 3 Junior league in the USA.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He at least seems to be a decent NCAA player.

There's worse invites out there. PIT invited Mario's kid who is 21 years old and playing in a Tier 3 Junior league in the USA.

Agreed. Todd's kid was a freshman on a very good NCAA team and produced decently.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Intro to pro hockey?
sigh.. maybe this is why the oilers only develop players drafted 1st overall.. and even then don't do it well.

connor-mcdavid-trophies.jpg

Let me guess, you'll change the goal posts because he doesn't count?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
My buddy is at the development camp and so far Yamamoto is the star of the show - as expected. Great speed and shot and 100% willing and able to battle.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It'd be funny if Yamamoto had a near-unheard of ultra-late growth spurt and got to 5'10.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
It'd be funny if Yamamoto had a near-unheard of ultra-late growth spurt and got to 5'10.

the mental gymnastics if he actually panned out instantly would be sweet.

september; wow, this guy looks better than i imagined. im surprised he can keep up physically.
october; give him his 9 games to get a taste and then back to spokane.
november; wtf is chia doing? lol. ruining yet another player.
december; actually....he's pretty good.
january; no really...how is he still playing in the nhl?
febuary; stop it. just stop it.
march; *crickets*

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
the mental gymnastics if he actually panned out instantly would be sweet.

september; wow, this guy looks better than i imagined. im surprised he can keep up physically.
october; give him his 9 games to get a taste and then back to spokane.
november; wtf is chia doing? lol. ruining yet another player.
december; actually....he's pretty good.
january; no really...how is he still playing in the nhl?
febuary; stop it. just stop it.
march; *crickets*

You really hope he can't succeed eh? Why do you have so much tied up in this?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
hmm....was more trying to say that it would be unexpected if he stuck.

also i'm way hilarious.

Yeah, I imagine you would think so.

Sticking this year? Maybe, depends what he does in camp.

What people, like you, seem to forget, having a young player, like Yamamoto, on the roster is fine, because the Oilers have alot of high end/veteran talent to shelter them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad