Speculation: Detroit shopping Justin Holl?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I for one am shocked, Who could have predicted that the Red Wings would regret signing Justin Holl and look to trade him especially at almost twice the money he made last year?

What a shocking and unpredictable outcome.
too bad the story just isn't true lmao.

i am SHOCKED that you believe something just because someone says someone else said something that the something wasn't even in the article that someone is referencing.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Terrible deal the second the ink was dry. Gotta attach a draft pick to entice someone to take him

Doubt you'd see a pick attached for a pure dump with nothing else included. More likely see him included in a trade and they pay a little extra for whoever they're getting.

Detroit's kinda on the edge where they have enough cap to do what they need to do in the summer (Extend Seider, extend Raymond, and hopefully extend Kane) but extra cap wouldn't hurt... And a better 2nd pairing RHD wouldn't hurt either.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I feel like the wings signed Holl without watching any of his games.

More likely they did watch his games, saw how shitty the rest of Toronto's D was, and figured it was just a team thing they could fix in a new system.

Also a bit of a case where, they signed Holl to plug the RHD hole, then stumbled upon Petry at 75% retention and didn't need Holl anymore.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The Holl deal in the beginning wasn't as bad as ppl make it out to be (i still didn't like it) but it became much worse once they traded for Petry making Holl useless

Reactions: SirloinUB

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
too bad the story just isn't true lmao.

i am SHOCKED that you believe something just because someone says someone else said something that the something wasn't even in the article that someone is referencing.

I watched nearly every game of his NHL career up until this season.

I have absolutely no problem believing the Red Wings wantto trade him

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
amazing how people rate their opinion over yzermans . detroit had tons of extra cap space so cap or cash wasnt an issue . mean while had no rookies ready to come up and couldnt entice a better ufa to sign . so they signed holl to at minimum provide a right shot plus a vet dman there to help lalonde and his new staff to establish a system with vets there such as petry , chariot , holl to teach all detroits young dmen coming up over the next few years . mean while they only could have signed a lesser dman or not signed anybody and been forced to rush edvinsson up at the cost of his development

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

he plays well when he is in the game. We just have too much defenseman.

Regardless, the article from kaplan never mentions a defenseman's name and just speculates that yzerman is taking calls on his defenseman.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

He’s been perfectly fine this year as a bottom pair d-man. +7 this year and solid on the PK. Mattaa has just played really well since mid season

Reactions: SirloinUB

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
He was ok for a while on the third pairing, but once Maatta got healthy they just shifted Ghost to RD and adios.

Also sounds like, even Ken Daniels mentioned this on a podcast if they knew they were gonna get Petry they probably wouldn't have bothered signing him. Hence why he is now the 7th.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I mean I think Petry is available earlier in the off season, Holl isn't signed. Yzerman sort of overbought dmen this offseason but not at a horrendous level. Even if we have to eat 50% we can easily fill in his spot with an ELC so it isn't a total disaster.

It wasn't my favorite move by Yzerman but I'm not too concerned overall.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
There shopping a cap dump no way he has any value with that contract

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Leafs should pay big to get him back. Look at the defensive numbers last year with Holl and this year without him. The Leafs have fallen apart without him.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
HA, no kidding. One of the worst players in the world and not even an NHLer imo. He was PROTECTED in the Seattle expansion draft and left noted 30+ goal sniper Jared McCann exposed no thanks to Dubas. The most pathetic disgrace to hockey and worst GM in NHL history, unequivocally.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad