Value of: Detroit Red Wings Deadline Assets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Well Wings aren't a playoff team, once they prove they are then you can start looking at moving guys. Recent history is full of teams trying to exit a rebuild early and giving up valuable prospects and picks. As it stands it's been 8 years since the Wings were a playoff team, maybe that's different next year.. we hope.

... Detroit is literally in a playoff spot with 4 points over NJ right now lol.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Probably SY will use Berggren to get upgrade in top 6 for power forward .

I think if they intended to move Berggren they would've done it by now. They've made the dude sit in the AHL all year and he's almost 24. That's not a good look to other players/prospects if you're just gonna trade him away and didn't have any long term plan to bring him up.

Granted, this is more for if we traded him for a future, not for if we used him in a package for an unexpected "Big move".

I still say move Fabbri and plug in Berggren. Both wingers, both can produce, neither is overly physical. But Berggren is younger, has way less injury concern, and is more cost controlled.

No reason to either buy or sell, unless it's a 3rd rounder or something going out for a depth piece. This run, even if it does ultimately fall short of the PO, is still good for the young group of Raymand, Seider, Rasmussen, etc. who have not ever tasted an NHL PO race. Larkin has just the 1 season in his rookie year of making the PO.

I don't have an issue, "Buying" if it's a piece that'll be around beyond this season.

But f*** moving any futures or prospects for rentals. No thanks.

Reactions: letsgowings9999

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't have an issue, "Buying" if it's a piece that'll be around beyond this season.

But f*** moving any futures or prospects for rentals. No thanks.
Anything more than a 3rd for a rental is not really what Detroit should be doing. They are in a position to take on a player who has another or so left with their current cap structure, even with the upcoming signings that they need to do with Seider and Raymond.

But really, there's like 8 teams who are legit out of it now and need to sell, but not a lot there to sell.

Cal, Sea, Min, Nas, STL are all within 3 points for WC2 in the West and all are within a game of each other in games played. But, Cal needs to sell Tanev and Hanifin, so likely just a matter of time for them.

In the East, a little more stretched out with games in hand and points, but will see in the next 10-12 days of who considers themselves in it or who taps out.

Reactions: saska sault

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
and he was injured on two different occasions being out for a good month in total i think. He isn't one that usually a healthy scratch or anything. He is slow, but the physicality he brings is a big positive that we need. Just don't see a real use for him at this point and I don't even think he would be getting much in return. Would 100% be a throw-in to a larger trade for a player like hanifin or whoever.
I'd love to have him back, but his cap hit is still an issue for the Oilers, so it's not likely to happen even if Detroit did just want to dump him - we'd need retention, and that would make it too costly to make sense for us, and I'm sure the Wings have no interest in using a retention spot on him, or paying him to play for someone else.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I'd love to have him back, but his cap hit is still an issue for the Oilers, so it's not likely to happen even if Detroit did just want to dump him - we'd need retention, and that would make it too costly to make sense for us, and I'm sure the Wings have no interest in using a retention spot on him, or paying him to play for someone else.
Yeah probably not. It would only be for another year after this one, but it would probably make a little more sense just to do a buyout I would assume. That is, if no one would trade him for like a 5-7th or something.

1708628822585.png

Would just make sense to buy him out at that point since his cap hits are essentially nothing.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
... Detroit is literally in a playoff spot with 4 points over NJ right now lol.

I understand that. Being a playoff team in February has never meant a thing. I'd like to see them make a playoff series before they start buying unless it's small pieces personally. Yzerman himself said it pre season, the worst thing a rebuilding team can do is to start buying and trading assets before you have even accomplished anything.

Do I hope they make the playoffs? Of course but buying to get into the 1st round right out a rebuild doesn't seem like a great long term strategy unless that player is here on an extension or long term deal. Even then, keep your prospect pool and picks so it's sustained.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I understand that. Being a playoff team in February has never meant a thing. I'd like to see them make a playoff series before they start buying unless it's small pieces personally. Yzerman himself said it pre season, the worst thing a rebuilding team can do is to start buying and trading assets before you have even accomplished anything.

Do I hope they make the playoffs? Of course but buying to get into the 1st round right out a rebuild doesn't seem like a great long term strategy unless that player is here on an extension or long term deal. Even then, keep your prospect pool and picks so it's sustained.

I mean... You do see how your post can pretty easily be confused as you not realizing Detroit's position considering you literally said "Detroit is not a playoff team" and "Hopefully next year" while they sit 4 points into a playoff spot in late February, right?

Aside from that, I agree that we shouldn't be buying anything unless it's long term.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I mean... You do see how your post can pretty easily be confused as you not realizing Detroit's position considering you literally said "Detroit is not a playoff team" and "Hopefully next year" while they sit 4 points into a playoff spot in late February, right?

Aside from that, I agree that we shouldn't be buying anything unless it's long term.

I do see how it can be confused. My point in that post for "once they prove they are" and "maybe next year" was in reference to once they have actually accomplished it and the drought is over.

I think all fans agree its nice to be in that spot now, it should be a fun stretch down the last 27 games. Let's see what Yzerman cooks up for us.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I do see how it can be confused. My point in that post for "once they prove they are" and "maybe next year" was in reference to once they have actually accomplished it and the drought is over.

I think all fans agree its nice to be in that spot now, it should be a fun stretch down the last 27 games. Let's see what Yzerman cooks up for us.

Fair enough. I do agree there shouldn't be any buying beyond something like a Debrincat move. (Young and sticking around)

Watched it bite other teams in the ass enough.

Reactions: saska sault

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
😂😂😂

Tell me you don't watch the Wings without telling me. They're not selling off any assets (save for possibly Maatta) unless they go on a 7 game skid before the deadline.
Bud, I’ve been a Wings fan for longer than you likely have been on this earth.

If you read my post you would see that I mentioned trades would be based on the next 15 days. SY has said this is not a playoff or bust season and that they are still building for the future. He also has a deal with Kane that at Kane’s discretion if the Wings are not in a playoff spot by the deadline he would move him to a contender hence the cheap cap hit. Overall I was just asking what the perceived value is in these guys is all I was doing. I see SY making more of a deal to add a guy like David Jiricek out of Columbus as he has publicly said he is not happy there than a bunch of UFA dumps for picks unless they really fall off here over the next two weeks.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I really hope Perron and Ghost get moved but I doubt it'll happen with us in a playoff spot still. We'll have to see what happens these next few weeks.

Interesting question. We're missing what he brought to the Oilers last year, but his stat line doesn't look good in Detroit. What's the issue with him, Wings fans?
You can have him for a 7th. He's awful. Slow, no offense, can't really do anything except be physical. I suppose he has a good shot to but he'll never be on a scoring line to use it.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
This site has truly lost it when fans of playoff teams value picks/prospects more than a chance in the playoffs

Did you finish reading the OP? It's dependent on how we do these next few weeks. Regardless, it's a thread to gauge value, not that we need to firesale all our UFAs.

We're in a bit of a weird spot where we have a bunch of UFAs, solid depth, and prospects ready to take their place in the ahl. We could move guys like Perron and Ghost and actually come out of it as a better team calling up Bergren and Edvinsson. I think moving Perron in general is addition by subtraction. Hoping some size/vet queen GM will be dumb enough to give up assets for him.

However, if we do well these next few weeks, I doubt Yzerman will move anyone.

Reactions: Cake Eater

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Did you finish reading the OP? It's dependent on how we do these next few weeks. Regardless, it's a thread to gauge value, not that we need to firesale all our UFAs.

We're in a bit of a weird spot where we have a bunch of UFAs, solid depth, and prospects ready to take their place in the ahl. We could move guys like Perron and Ghost and actually come out of it as a better team calling up Bergren and Edvinsson. I think moving Perron in general is addition by subtraction. Hoping some size/vet queen GM will be dumb enough to give up assets for him.

Wings have 6 games to March 2, when they get 3 days off, so by that game they should have made up their mind. Not like there is 6 weeks still before the TDL. We are down to 2 weeks now.

Big games are the 2 that close out Feb vs Wash and NYI who are chasing them. But, really, is Detroit going to be much worse than maybe being tied for WC2 or maybe 1 or 2 points behind WC2 come the TDL? If that happens, you don't do a block buster, but certainly fine to tinker for a small move or two.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I see the Wings trading prospects or picks as part of a buying move; if a roster player moves it will be as part of one of those moves to open a slot.

Most likely suspects are Maatta and/or Gostisbehere if they trade for D and Fabbri if they trade for a forward.

Reactions: Cake Eater

mcityguy1

Sep 27, 2017
I would trade fabbri too but do t think would pay much or anything for a guy who's hurt most of time and when he plays doesn't show much

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022

Some people really struggle with reading, let alone reading comprehension and context.

I see the Wings trading prospects or picks as part of a buying move; if a roster player moves it will be as part of one of those moves to open a slot.

Most likely suspects are Maatta and/or Gostisbehere if they trade for D and Fabbri if they trade for a forward.
Exactly. Wings can sell UFAs while at the same time upgrading the roster elsewhere. Both can happen.

Reactions: LarKing

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Bud, I’ve been a Wings fan for longer than you likely have been on this earth.

If you read my post you would see that I mentioned trades would be based on the next 15 days. SY has said this is not a playoff or bust season and that they are still building for the future. He also has a deal with Kane that at Kane’s discretion if the Wings are not in a playoff spot by the deadline he would move him to a contender hence the cheap cap hit. Overall I was just asking what the perceived value is in these guys is all I was doing. I see SY making more of a deal to add a guy like David Jiricek out of Columbus as he has publicly said he is not happy there than a bunch of UFA dumps for picks unless they really fall off here over the next two weeks.
First off, I'm a grown ass man. Don't refer to me as "bud", and you have no clue how long I've been watching this team. Secondly, what is the point in making a "value of" thread when the Wings aren't in sell mode? There's no package the Wings could make short of Kasper+ that would get someone like Jiricek out of Columbus anyway.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
If the Red Wings are moving in from upcoming expiring contracts, we will assume they are heavily out of a playoff fight. (Which would have to see them have very, very, very bad play from here on out)

In that case, if Patrick Kane were to want to re-sign going into the deadline, I do not see the harm in him going for another cup push and coming back to Detroit with re-stocked assets.

It’s all hypothetical anyways, Detroit is going to either make the playoffs or scrap all the way until the end.
I just look at it this way, Kane for 2 more years is worth more then a 20 to 30 first... I've seen how much 1sts don't work out, if Kane wants to be here and wants to help breed a winning culture here it's worth way more then 26th overall (usually)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah the wings arent selling so this thread seems kinda pointless. The wings will be looking at guys similar to the Debrincat trade last year in all likelihood. Someone who is in that 24-28 age range that can stick around for a while.

Someone like a Hanifin re-signed or Rasmus Andersson on D. Theyre in the first wild card spot right now, and have played well the entire season, outside of December when their number one goalie and top 2 centers were out the whole month.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
First off, I'm a grown ass man. Don't refer to me as "bud", and you have no clue how long I've been watching this team. Secondly, what is the point in making a "value of" thread when the Wings aren't in sell mode? There's no package the Wings could make short of Kasper+ that would get someone like Jiricek out of Columbus anyway.
Sorry bud, didn’t mean to insult you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad