Value of: Detroit Red Wings Deadline Assets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Just gauging the communities value for some of these potential trade chips from the Wings. SY would want either draft picks, prospects, or young (18-26) NHL players back.

RW/LW Daniel Sprong 15 goals & 35 points in a fourth line role with second unit PP time. UFA

D Shayne Gostisbehere 7 goals & 33 points as a bottom pairing role with top unit PP time. UFA

D Jeff Petry 2 goals & 16 points in middle pairing defensive role. No PP time. 1 year remaining before UFA.

D Justin Holl 0 goals & 5 points in limited action. Plays bottom pairing when he is in the lineup. 3 years until UFA.

LW/RW David Perron 12 goals & 27 points in a middle six role with limited PP time. UFA

RW Pat Kane A point per game player putting up 9 goals and 24 points after signing a 1 year deal in November. Top PP player. UFA

RW/C Christian Fischer 2 goals & 13 points in a fourth line grinder and PK role. UFA

RW/LW Jonatan Berggren leading the AHL Griffins in scoring. 5 points in 9 NHL games.

I am thinking Berggren, Ghost, and/or Kane could be part of a deal to bring in a young NHL talent. The rest are likely draft pick or prospect compensation worthy. SY is likely to move somebody at the deadline and I bet it is one or two of these guys. Could be more dependent on how the next 15 days unfold in Motown.

• Haha
Reactions: Ulysses31

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Moving Ghost is addition by subtraction.

One of Maatta/Holl likely have to move if Y is big game hunting for an impact D.

I don't see him trading any of the forwards.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Kane should not be moved unless he doesn't want to resign, if the choice is resign or a first, I'm keeping Kane.
If the Red Wings are moving in from upcoming expiring contracts, we will assume they are heavily out of a playoff fight. (Which would have to see them have very, very, very bad play from here on out)

In that case, if Patrick Kane were to want to re-sign going into the deadline, I do not see the harm in him going for another cup push and coming back to Detroit with re-stocked assets.

It’s all hypothetical anyways, Detroit is going to either make the playoffs or scrap all the way until the end.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
no playoff bound teams sell for futures, that said SY pretty conservative do i doubt he adds much at DL either. They have a ton of depth alrdy with nhl lvl players stuck in GR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Just gauging the communities value for some of these potential trade chips from the Wings. SY would want either draft picks, prospects, or young (18-26) NHL players back.

RW/LW Daniel Sprong 15 goals & 35 points in a fourth line role with second unit PP time. UFA

D Shayne Gostisbehere 7 goals & 33 points as a bottom pairing role with top unit PP time. UFA

D Jeff Petry 2 goals & 16 points in middle pairing defensive role. No PP time. 1 year remaining before UFA.

D Justin Holl 0 goals & 5 points in limited action. Plays bottom pairing when he is in the lineup. 3 years until UFA.

LW/RW David Perron 12 goals & 27 points in a middle six role with limited PP time. UFA

RW Pat Kane A point per game player putting up 9 goals and 24 points after signing a 1 year deal in November. Top PP player. UFA

RW/C Christian Fischer 2 goals & 13 points in a fourth line grinder and PK role. UFA

RW/LW Jonatan Berggren leading the AHL Griffins in scoring. 5 points in 9 NHL games.

I am thinking Berggren, Ghost, and/or Kane could be part of a deal to bring in a young NHL talent. The rest are likely draft pick or prospect compensation worthy. SY is likely to move somebody at the deadline and I bet it is one or two of these guys. Could be more dependent on how the next 15 days unfold in Motown.
Rangers pass thank you, on all these guys except MAYBE Petry if he is cheap enuf.
Rs cannot afford vets for youth after stupid win now splurges of recent yrs = epic fail

off top of my head, what about, something like
Vesey + for cap balance Bezille [sp] + Leshitshow + nyr 3rd
for
Petry + det 2nd (can be a bit down the road)

Pet would be a depth/insurance add and there is risk at 36 wheels may fall off before end of next season, but it is an acceptable risk given short term

Vesey is best player in the deal, helps Wings now + next season
Bez was decent on bad Habs team a yr ago, and is expiring

I am going w/OP rep Red Wings can afford to lose JP.
Rs can return Pitlick or cup o coffee promote Berard

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Detroit isn’t going to be a seller. I doubt we go all-in but don’t think we’re selling.

Also don’t think Kane is going anywhere.
When your top two centers are Larkin and Compher you shouldn't be going all in.

Don't think they should sell either btw.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Doubt Steve trades any impending UFAs unless other players (not futures) come back. We are in the playoffs right now and playoff teams basically don't trade their UFA's.
Leafs approached the deadline this way in Matthews/Marner's rookie season when there was a lot of discussion around selling JVR and Bozak and I still think in hindsight they wish they had.

To me Sprong and Ghost are no brainers if you can get a 3rd or better since Detroit has Berggren and Edvinsson in the minors, I can see wanting to hang on to Perron but he'd fetch a solid return

It is 4 years too many.
Feeling pretty vindicated that Detroit fans are seeing how trash that guy is, there was a lot of talk about his effectiveness to start the season but I knew it was only a matter of time lol

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If SY sells vets for mid rd picks at the TDL while the team is challenging for a playoff spot, first time in almost a decade, you 100% lose the locker room and might as well step down as GM.. that's career suicide..you can not pull the rug out from under your team..

If SE or Bergeron were 100% guaranteed better than those vets they would already be playing in Detroit...

Only way SY sells is if we are clearly out of the playoffs..Otherwise he will look to add, but not a depth piece, rather a player who will be here for the next 4 or 5 years at least...

Reactions: Ulysses31

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Nobody's trading a young talent of any current or future value for a package of Berggren/Ghost/Kane considering two of the three are pending UFA lol.

Detroit should be keeping Kane if he's willing to sign. If he's not, they're probably not getting much more out of him than Chicago did, given that he has a full NTC and seems to be selective.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Perron and Kane aren't going anywhere with the team in a playoff hunt. Ghost is too valuable on the PP. Nobody is trading for Holl. The only move I can possibly see is trading Berggren++ maybe for a better long term piece.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad