Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings #6 Overall Pick - Part Deux

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
We don't need Byram. We need Byram-level guy who is already at 24-28 year age range.

Drafting Byram now is wrong timing for our rebuild.

We should draft a Center and build the defence via trades/UFA.

Karlsson and Trouba, even guys like Gardiner, it's a nice thought and plan but those guys have to choose to sign here or their teams have to trade them to us. There's no guarantees there.

But drafting Byram would guarantee we have that guy in the system. And I don't think we would need to wait until they were 24-28 necessarily. Top 10 drafted dmen tend to become important contributors on a quicker timeline. Heiskanen, Ekblad, Sergachev, Hanifin, Werenski, Jones, Nurse, Ristolainen, and soon Makar. All picked within the last 6 or so years and all became big contributors within 1-3 years. Heiskanen and Ekblad were lottery picks obviously, but the rest were all picked in the 4-8 range. The only notable 'busts' (and that's not even settled yet) are Fleury and Juolevi.

Reactions: NickH8

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Already preparing myself for us drafting Cozens and I’m already underwhelmed.

Cozens had the highest p/g in the WHL for 17 year old players, 2nd highest for draft eligible players (leason, an overager had the edge) and the 16th highest points/game in the entire league. He looked good in the games I watched as well so I'm curious why you are against drafting him?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Dach had a dominant playoff though for his 2 series. I watched 2 of the games, in one he only had one goal but was all over the ice. Points over a ten game smaple size arent as important as his actual play. His production wasnt bad either
I think it says more about Byram. Only 14 games, another small sample admittedly, but when you are producing like he has from defense, I think that gives teams considering drafting him more confidence.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Cozens had the highest p/g in the WHL for 17 year old players, 2nd highest for draft eligible players (leason, an overager had the edge) and the 16th highest points/game in the entire league. He looked good in the games I watched as well so I'm curious why you are against drafting him?
The only knock I see on him if there even is one is I don't think he is a C in the NHL.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
We don't need Byram. We need Byram-level guy who is already at 24-28 year age range.

Drafting Byram now is wrong timing for our rebuild.

We should draft a Center and build the defence via trades/UFA.
There's almost no chance Detroit will get a chance to draft Byram at 6th. However, assuming they did somehow draft Byram but he can't make the team straight away, then it might take him another year or two to make the NHL. Larkin isn't going to be done at 28 or 29. They don't need to rush anything.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I saw some highlight vids of Broberg, I like him.

How angry would everyone be if we picked broberg at 6?
Probably a lot because people will say "If you wanted broberg, should have traded back to pick #9"

I think broberg will be good. But Lind of like you're saying there are better rated players available. But I wouldn't hate the pick. I'd be ok with it but theres others I'd prefer.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Defensemen are starting to be impact players way sooner than in the past. Jones and Werenski for example. I'm not afraid of Byram not fitting our timeline.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I wouldnt worry about it either way he ain't gonna be there at 6.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006

I see him as a winger and his IQ isn’t elite compared to other players in the top 10. I’m just not a fan. I’d rather we take Zegras.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I seen clips of him on YouTube and the way he hustles back and steals the puck off guys and moves he does with the puck just reminds me so much of pavel, that being said there’s only one datsyuk so I’m not saying he’s gonna turn into him

Hey you like who you like it’s all good , I’m not too distraught with the centers cause we have Larkin and I’m still hoping veleno will be the #2 and if not maybe a year in Grand Rapids gets Rasmussen going and we can add his big body to #2 and we’d have something like

Bertuzzi Larkin mantha etched in stone as #1 line for the foreseeable future

Number 2 can be

Veleno Rasmussen zadina
Or
Zadina veleno podkolzin with Rasmussen centering the 3rd

Berggren is a C and suppose to be really good but missed a year ,that’s why I’m not too concerned with taking a C I think we’re ok I just want the best player available if it’s a C we take him

I think counting on Ras or Veleno being a #2 center is being overly optimistic. Ras very likely is a winger, the question is where in the lineup will he slot. Veleno's question is will his new found offense translate out of the juniors. If Turcotte falls, they have to take him, he'd give Detroit a potent 1-2 punch at center, and shift assets in a way that focusing on building the defense through the draft and the trade market becomes much more tenable.

Reactions: ealong59

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I am starting to think that drafting Broberg and then taking a run at Lavoie late in the first round, by trading a couple of our 2nd/3rd rounders, would give us a lot. I know people seem to question Lavoie's motivation, but his playoff scoring is insane (17-10-27 in 16 games, so far). And he's a big body center who can skate and play a 200 foot game.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Doesn't mean Byram's not a fit. If he's still there at #6 he's the best pick.

Byram delays the rebuild because defenceman will last years longer to develop.

So better go after forward, build a forward logjam, and them trade from that forward logjam for a Larkin-Mantha aged defenceman.

There are no teams at the playoffs, who have kid defence and forward core in prime. And that's our MAIN PROBLEM to be solved on our current kid core.

Drafting Byram and keeping him long-term won't fix that. Drafting Byram and trading him instatly for Trouba could do it.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Byram delays the rebuild because defenceman will last years longer to develop.

So better go after forward, build a forward logjam, and them trade from that forward logjam for a Larkin-Mantha aged defenceman.

There are no teams at the playoffs, who have kid defence and forward core in prime. And that's our MAIN PROBLEM to be solved on our current kid core.

Drafting Byram and keeping him long-term won't fix that. Drafting Byram and trading him instatly for Trouba could do it.

The claim you made of having to wait until they were 24-28 is not true though. I laid it out in my own comment:

Karlsson and Trouba, even guys like Gardiner, it's a nice thought and plan but those guys have to choose to sign here or their teams have to trade them to us. There's no guarantees there.

But drafting Byram would guarantee we have that guy in the system. And I don't think we would need to wait until they were 24-28 necessarily. Top 10 drafted dmen tend to become important contributors on a quicker timeline. Heiskanen, Ekblad, Sergachev, Hanifin, Werenski, Jones, Nurse, Ristolainen, and soon Makar. All picked within the last 6 or so years and all became big contributors within 1-3 years. Heiskanen and Ekblad were lottery picks obviously, but the rest were all picked in the 4-8 range. The only notable 'busts' (and that's not even settled yet) are Fleury and Juolevi.

Dmen drafted in the top 5-10 are more likely to become important contributors by 21-22 years old, not 24-28.

Reactions: NickH8

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Dmen drafted in the top 5-10 are more likely to become important contributors by 21-22 years old, not 24-28.

I think the argument is that we'd need him to be more than a contributor. We need someone who can step in on the top pairing and actually deserve to be there. Looking at your list and I'm not sure I see anyone I'd want to walk into the playoffs with them on my top pair within the first three years of their draft.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think the argument is that we'd need him to be more than a contributor. We need someone who can step in on the top pairing and actually deserve to be there. Looking at your list and I'm not sure I see anyone I'd want to walk into the playoffs with them on my top pair within the first three years of their draft.
I go back and forth with what I'd do at #6, but I'm not ruling out the path of both drafting Byram and bringing in a veteran via trade or free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad