Details Surrounding Nazem Kadri Trade

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Not to interrupt the Dubas hate, but isn't it possible he regrets how he handled that and was still pretty new as a GM when that happened? I would be surprised if Dubas today handled it the same as 2nd year as a GM with market pressure to make big changes Dubas.

Folks like him don't learn. You can see a bunch of them in this very thread!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’m curious for the day Kyle speaks out fully on what deals he felt controlled by or were nixed via Shanahan. Just based on Kadri’s accounts and even the rumours after the series. It feels like Kadri moving was a decision made above Kyle Dubas. I believe that call was made by Shanahan. The timing of the deal felt rushed and everything too. Still a bad deal by Dubas in hindsight but I’d be curious to see who ultimately decided the Leafs need to move on from Kadri.
Not me. I wouldn't believe anything that comes out of his mouth.
Such a low character, dislikable person.

Reactions: torontoblood

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I was involved in a major labour reduction, 30% of the headcount was being laid off.

In the middle of a Sunday, final planning session before announcing the layoffs, the boss running the whole reduction got pulled out of the meeting and walked out right then and there.

He was part of the layoffs, but he didn’t know until he had already done his part organizing the others layoffs.

It’s just business

:thumbu:

I think if one has been around any real company for more than a few years, they know/have these stories.

In the corporate culture everyone is a temp.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I believe what Kadri is saying. Dubas always came across as a phony, a snake. They should have kept Kadri at 2c for 4.5 instead of signing Tavares. That ruined the Leafs for the last 7 years.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Personally not all that curious to hear from Kyle and get little tidbits on why he was handcuffed into making poor decisions from Lou or Shanahan.

it wouldn't be in support of him, but I am curious to understand the dynamic. I'd also like to hear Shanahan's unfiltered account of his tenure. Somewhere along the road something went wrong and a lot of poor decisions were made.

Reactions: Menzinger

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I believe what Kadri is saying. Dubas always came across as a phony, a snake. They should have kept Kadri at 2c for 4.5 instead of signing Tavares. That ruined the Leafs for the last 7 years.

Trading Kadri had nothing to do with the cap. We gained more cap making the trade. Kerfoot and Barrie's contract retained were more than Kadri's 4.5 cap hit. Money wasn't the issue. It's that they wanted a right side defenseman and they didn't trust Kadri. That being said we absolutely should have kept him and just put him on the wing if we felt 3C was too low for him.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I didnt follow the whole Kadri thing.

But I thought they got rid of him because management was sick of his stupid penalties and suspensions. And they got amped up on JT from the Isles, paid him a ton and simply wanted to go all out offence so the team could add another 80 pt player, while Kadri was more like a 50 pt player.

Add enough scoring, and Leafs will win on pure talented scoring. Defence and goalies will get bailed out by scoring.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Never should've been dealt, only guy that series who played with some balls and gave the Bruins a taste of their own.

I didnt follow the whole Kadri thing.

But I thought they got rid of him because management was sick of his stupid penalties and suspensions. And they got amped up on JT from the Isles, paid him a ton and simply wanted to go all out offence so the team could add another 80 pt player, while Kadri was more like a 50 pt player.

Add enough scoring, and Leafs will win on pure talented scoring. Defence and goalies will get bailed out by scoring.
Kadri had 30G + 30A for us as the 3C

Reactions: torontoblood

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Sorry added wrong column but point stands no 4th liner is getting 10 points in 19 games in playoffs and a point a game in playoffs after he was traded. Vastly superior to Kerfoot who you felt was comparable.

Well point production wise, they are not far off... it is 43 point pace vs 36 point pace, and the claim was that Kerfoot is a 4th liner.

I just hate these arguments of "Look what player X did away from the Leafs".

They got traded/didn't get re-signed because they didn't perform like that with the Leafs.

Hyman is another example, Kerfoot actually outproduced him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad