Details Surrounding Nazem Kadri Trade

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He got suspended after he was traded... he was traded because he kept hurting his team by getting suspended.

Also, Kadri sucked in the playoffs here, people always remember players for what they did other places and then somehow think they'd be the same here when history doesn't show that.

Hyman is another example of a terrible player here who people prop up based on his numbers in Edmonton and say "see if he was here, he'd be good" when he wasn't good here.
They were both good players who didn't put it together in playoffs with us. The potential was there and they found it

I can't imagine the outrage over a 3rd Kadri suspension here though

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kadri clearly has a grudge. You wonder how much of what he’s written is fully factual. He seems incapable of accepting responsibility for his actions, so it does make you wonder.

Reactions: bax

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Guys remember Dubas wasn't going to put his own family through a tumultuous move either, recall his genuine season ending presser. He kept that promise so clearly Naz is viewing this with jaundiced eyes.

Trading Kadri was an asinine move. And for absolute dogshit back, literally the last thing we needed, a complete sheltered marshmallow on the backend.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
They were both good players who didn't put it together in playoffs with us. The potential was there and they found it

I can't imagine the outrage over a 3rd Kadri suspension here though
At least Kadri has an excuse for why he disappears in the playoffs and tbh it's a better one than the other overpaid bozos we got (too much passion)

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
True there was a chance that he was going to stay on the team but then that undeniable package dropped into their lap.

Barrie on the last year his contract 🔥 (50% retained 😵)
Unsigned RFA Kerfoot🔥
6th round pick 🔥🔥🔥

How could they say no?

Terrible trade, although lots of folks liked it at the time.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Terrible trade, although lots of folks liked it at the time.
Literally the last type of D men everyone said we needed. It was a stunner of a move. Even if you argue we should have traded him, the return was such a square peg, round hole, fit. One of his worst moves for me, made me question if he knew how to build a team.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How did they ever hire an apprentice GM?

Trading him is fine, but at least consult with the player so you don’t back yourself into a corner.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Literally the last type of D men everyone said we needed. It was a stunner of a move. Even if you argue we should have traded him, the return was such a square peg, round hole, fit. One of his worst moves for me, made me question if he knew how to build a team.

The worst, I think. But Barrie had a lot of people fooled with the way he looked for Colorado in the playoffs that year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Didn’t it surprise Babcock at the time.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Kadri clearly has a grudge. You wonder how much of what he’s written is fully factual. He seems incapable of accepting responsibility for his actions, so it does make you wonder.
I don't know if he has a grudge or not, but most pro athletes are proud, he's probably no different and he loved playing in Toronto and was a fan favourite so I presume he wanted to see it through and try to win in Toronto.

I was a fan of his game and there was potential as a team that was never reached. He's far from alone in this regard as we can see from the current incarnation of the team. I still say the refs and the league screwed him for the games he was given, especially in the year in which he stood up for the borderline hit that Marleau took. The Bruins were given far too much support from the league and Kadri paid the price, unfairly in my opinion.

Ultimately, after watching cashiers working at grocery stores during covid, most for not much more than minimum wage, potentially risking their lives so that citizens could eat; these trades made a lifetime ago don't seem to be so profound anymore.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
10 in 19 for 4.5M.

Swap that out for 24 in 38 (12 in 19) for 11M?

Kadri was also preoccupied with not being killed given the team we iced for the playoffs. He went on to produce over ppg in Colorado.

Sounds like a lot of excuses and an example of people using stats from other teams when we have a sample of them playing here.

Who cares what a player did on another team? We experience Kadri here.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
In his new book "Dreamer: My Life On The Edge" Nazem Kadri goes into detail about the circumstances around the trade that saw him leave Toronto. Suffice to say then GM Kyle Dubas and the rest of the Leafs brass at the time come out looking pretty duplicitous.

View attachment 920643View attachment 920644

Now I'm not going to front, I wanted Kadri dealt after his second straight playoff suspension. However, the way with which the Leafs went about doing it is so scummy. Why lie to the guy and say he's still part of the future here when you were planning to deal him? Why are Calgary players and management brought in to try and convince him to waive his NTC? You're own players get confused and the guy you lied to has to cover your ass? And all this when the dude's wife is about to have a kid and thinks he's not going anywhere.

All this secrecy and sneaking to ultimately rush a trade for Tyson Barrie and Alex Kerfoot.

Objectively... what are you going to do?

Tell him that "we're going to try and trade you", knowing its a possibility that you may not find the right deal... now he's stuck coming back to a team that has already told him "we don't want you anymore".

Like yeah, it's not great that he was traded when his wife was about to give birth... but that's the reality of the summer. Deals get done when deals get done. Better to rip off the bandaid when it comes. As others have mentioned, he was traded on July 1, captain's skates typically begin in late August. Be a lot worse getting traded midseason.

There's also another possibility that this version of the story probably doesn't consider -- that circumstances change.

Maybe somebody from above Dubas said "Kadri needs to go". Maybe they got a "knock your socks off" return from Calgary, and felt that once they had tried to trade him once, there was no repairing the relationship so they had to trade him elsewhere.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
He's written an autobiography? Isn't that typically done after somebody has left the game by a few years?

It sure appears that way.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Objectively... what are you going to do?

Tell him that "we're going to try and trade you", knowing its a possibility that you may not find the right deal... now he's stuck coming back to a team that has already told him "we don't want you anymore".

He had a no-trade list and tried to trade him without getting it. That's why the Flames were calling him and trying to sell him on it. He was not being traded without him knowing. They chose to lie to him because they are bad people and horrible at their jobs.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I for one am shocked and appalled that 'world-renowned honest guy' Kyle Dubas would ever be two-faced and cunning. I mean he is as reliable as they come and in no way would he pop up anywhere else in two weeks, he could not put his family through that.

lolol.gif

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm not gonna get into the discussion of this too much because I'm gonna eventually read the book myself soon, but all I will say is that anyone who wants to tar and feather Kadri and call him an idiot for sticking up for his team and wearing his heart on his sleeve can get lost. Unlike other cowards who couldn't handle this market, he embraced all the adversity and scrutiny and wanted to be a Leaf for life. He proudly wore that crest every f***ing night and he went to war for his team. Even Matthews and others have mentioned in recent years after the trade that Naz was the best teammate and had a great attitude and outlook in the room. He had his warts but for better or for us he embraced who he was and truly grew up here, and he had the back of his team.

Blame the league for their double standard on reffing and supplementary discipline, or for the management and team for creating a cowardly culture where guys didn't have each other's backs. Why did it always land on Naz? DeBrusk almost pulled a Chara-Pacioretty on a respected vet like Marleau and there was no discipline for that. A season later Chara does EXACTY what Kadri did to DeBrusk but even more blatantly to Gallagher (he even mocks Gallagher for jerking back his neck out of recoil) and he doesn't even get a f***ing penalty Let alone a suspension, only a pathetic 5K fine. A 6'9 ogre doing that to a dude who is 5'10 at most in good lighting, what an absolute joke.

Naz loved Toronto and I wish we had more players who played with pride and passion like him. f*** Dubas for that dog shit video game trade, Barrie solved none of our problems and if anything was emblematic of the exact issues this team had in its roster construction, and was also a heartless coward himself

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
None of this seems bad. He signed up for a job. He was an employee. He knows he can be traded at any time outside of freezes.

He was still on the team. Therefore in the plans and was expected to work. He got traded and had months before he moved.

Movers are not expensive and it doesn’t take months.

Players with full ntc get threatened with waivers.

This happens all the time.

Happens all the time in business.

Corporate business will lie to your face. Really have to know who has the power.

We're going in a different direction...

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Fake drama created by his ghostwriter in order to sell the book.

Teams don't do trades when the playoffs are going on or immediately after getting eliminated. Trade talks would have come up several months later, so everything said at the meeting would have been true at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad