Details Surrounding Nazem Kadri Trade

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
In his new book "Dreamer: My Life On The Edge" Nazem Kadri goes into detail about the circumstances around the trade that saw him leave Toronto. Suffice to say then GM Kyle Dubas and the rest of the Leafs brass at the time come out looking pretty duplicitous.

1729719824814.png
1729719841383.png

Now I'm not going to front, I wanted Kadri dealt after his second straight playoff suspension. However, the way with which the Leafs went about doing it is so scummy. Why lie to the guy and say he's still part of the future here when you were planning to deal him? Why are Calgary players and management brought in to try and convince him to waive his NTC? You're own players get confused and the guy you lied to has to cover your ass? And all this when the dude's wife is about to have a kid and thinks he's not going anywhere.

All this secrecy and sneaking to ultimately rush a trade for Tyson Barrie and Alex Kerfoot.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Wow his wife was pregnant and everything and they couldn't have just been straight up and honest with him?

Like with everything that transpired it's not like it would have shocked him. Why string him along and tell him "you're still part of the plans" when that clearly wasn't the case? Snake ass shit by Dubas, very disrespectful.

Sep 18, 2009
Wow his wife was pregnant and everything and they couldn't have just been straight up and honest with him?

Like with everything that transpired it's not like it would have shocked him. Why string him along and tell him "you're still part of the plans" when that clearly wasn't the case? Snake ass shit by Dubas, very disrespectful.
maybe dubas changes his mind like [REDACTED]

• Wow
Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
In his new book "Dreamer: My Life On The Edge" Nazem Kadri goes into detail about the circumstances around the trade that saw him leave Toronto. Suffice to say then GM Kyle Dubas and the rest of the Leafs brass at the time come out looking pretty duplicitous.

View attachment 920643View attachment 920644

Now I'm not going to front, I wanted Kadri dealt after his second straight playoff suspension. However, the way with which the Leafs went about doing it is so scummy. Why lie to the guy and say he's still part of the future here when you were planning to deal him? Why are Calgary players and management brought in to try and convince him to waive his NTC? You're own players get confused and the guy you lied to has to cover your ass? And all this when the dude's wife is about to have a kid and thinks he's not going anywhere.

All this secrecy and sneaking to ultimately rush a trade for Tyson Barrie and Alex Kerfoot.

It will be fun to see all the people who always say that hockey is a business now say this is an issue because they don't like the GM involved in this.

Assuming you lie so that you can work deals without interference, but not sure, or if no deals happen, it'd suck knowing you are not wanted.

I think dealing someone around the time of their child being born is the worst part, but not sure that should impact decisions by the team.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
What were the timelines between points 2, 3 and 5 above? Context is everything.

It sucks that his family was uprooted, but this is a part of the reason these guys are compensated the way they are. Part of the business. It is clear they were trying to trade him, certainly after the failed CGY trade attempt.

Reactions: fahad203

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It will be fun to see all the people who always say that hockey is a business now say this is an issue because they don't like the GM involved in this.
With incidents like this and how he tried a backdoor "negotiation" move before he left the organization, it's kinda looking like he was the greasy 2-faced politician type that a lot us were saying he was all along.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

If your boss said they were trying to get rid of you and then said, ooops we can't find any better, how do you feel?

Don't most players not know they are being dealt.

It is unfortunate for Kadri, I don't know this is a unique situation, and I feel bad that his life was uprooted.

With incidents like this and how he tried a backdoor "negotiation" move before he left the organization, it's kinda looking like he was the greasy 2-faced politician type that a lot us were saying he was all along.

That is your interpretation of how he left.

He tried to stay here but wanted a quicker approval process, no one was to be cut out of it.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Sucks but this happens all the time in sports.

Don’t really like Dubas, but we don’t know the full story. It doesn’t sound like Shanahan was apart of the original meeting. So hypothetically couldn’t Dubas have wanted to keep Kadri but the decision to move on from him organizationally come from Shanny?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I guess it could have been worse
Back in the day Ray Sheppard was traded for $1 and player used to get traded for school bus (Tom Martin)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
None of this seems bad. He signed up for a job. He was an employee. He knows he can be traded at any time outside of freezes.

He was still on the team. Therefore in the plans and was expected to work. He got traded and had months before he moved.

Movers are not expensive and it doesn’t take months.

Players with full ntc get threatened with waivers.

This happens all the time.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Who says they were lying at the time? There may very well have been no deal on the table at the time. Situations change, and clearly when they reached out to him about the Calgary deal, he knew.

Management has no reason to tell him they will trade him, if there is no deal on the table. These are athletes at the top of competitive sports, they should all know anyone can be traded, any time.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

After multiple suspensions in the playoffs which almost certainly cost the team at least one round in which they would have won with a strong team, he had to go. It's that simple.

We forget he also was suspended in the playoffs while in Colorado. He also vetoed the trade to the Flames which would have been the better trade for the Leafs. He ended up there anyways.

I have no problem with him being traded. The only criticism I have is that the Leafs management too infrequently make the trades that need to be made when they need to be made.

He won the Cup, I hope he is happy. There are worst fates in life than playing a kids game for millions of dollars.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
None of this seems bad. He signed up for a job. He was an employee. He knows he can be traded at any time outside of freezes.

He was still on the team. Therefore in the plans and was expected to work. He got traded and had months before he moved.

Movers are not expensive and it doesn’t take months.

Players with full ntc get threatened with waivers.

This happens all the time.

Yeah nothing described in the OP is out of the ordinary in pro sports. Situations like this have been happening for decades in every pro sports league.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

To be honest, I don't understand why anyone who wished Kadri to be traded would have an issue with this. I wager that very few traded players are told that they're on the trading block, as that would create bad blood if they're not moved.

Note that Kadri was moved on July 1st - 3 months before the start of the season.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
To be honest, I don't understand why anyone who wished Kadri to be traded would have an issue with this. I wager that very few traded players are told that they're on the trading block, as that would create bad blood if they're not moved.
Ya. Soooooo like we are planning to trade you but we don’t know what we will get so just sit at home and don’t work on anything just in case.

Also. Pack up your house and live among boxes. You can unpack them in September.

Kadri promised not to get suspended again. He was owed nothing by management after 2 playoff suspensions.

He always thinks he deserves special treatment. This happens all the. Time

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Doesn't feel like the pregnancy or Cgy pieces were an issue to me. Maybe to him, but sounds like a flames leak and part of the business on timing for the offseason.

I don't love the "part of our plans" line but I can see why you wouldn't be honest. Personally I would have said he was a good player, adds value and we have to make the team better so we'd explore every option or something like that

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Pro Dubas: what a scuzz bucket Kadri was!
Anti Dubas: what a scuzz bucket Dubas was!

The answer lies somewhere in the middle.

…… but what is beyond debate was it was a terrible trade. ;)

Reactions: arso40

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010

Note that Kadri was moved on July 1st - 3 months before the start of the season.

True there was a chance that he was going to stay on the team but then that undeniable package dropped into their lap.

Barrie on the last year his contract 🔥 (50% retained 😵)
Unsigned RFA Kerfoot🔥
6th round pick 🔥🔥🔥

How could they say no?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Pro Dubas: what a scuzz bucket Kadri was!
Anti Dubas: what a scuzz bucket Dubas was!

The answer lies somewhere in the middle.

…… but what is beyond debate was it was a terrible trade. ;)

He got suspended after he was traded... he was traded because he kept hurting his team by getting suspended.

Also, Kadri sucked in the playoffs here, people always remember players for what they did other places and then somehow think they'd be the same here when history doesn't show that.

Hyman is another example of a terrible player here who people prop up based on his numbers in Edmonton and say "see if he was here, he'd be good" when he wasn't good here.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Kadri was traded because JT was acquired, not suspensions. Avs picked up said player, saw him suspended again, and kept him because he was simply a great cup capable 2C at 4.5M.

Nevertheless this story is just is just a one sided version of getting traded when you didn't want to be. The reassurance covering thing doesn't even make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad