Claimed off Waivers: [DET] Olli Juolevi claimed off waivers by the Red Wings from the Panthers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
As someone else mentioned, Wings now have 9 D on their roster with only Seider not needing waivers. As far as I know nobody got banged up in Tampa/Florida.

Yzerman, IMO has something cooking. Leddy is the most logical and simplest with retention.

Edit; Wings waiving Dekeyser is just a pipedream right?

Waiting for a Leddy to Florida trade announcement within the next couple days.

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
Anyone holding their breath for him to be anything other than an AHL level tweener is deluded.

The absolutely best case scenario is that he manages to cobble together a half decent game working around his limitations... then he will get injured again.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
can't believe the Nucks skipped on Tkachuk for him.

That's what happens when a GM goes to one tournament and thinks one viewing is enough, and that he is smarter then a team of scouts viewing players multiple times.

Reactions: quat

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
As a Red Wings fan, he can't be as bad as Dekeyser has been. He's a low-risk, medium reward type of waiver pick-up. He's got 26 games to see what he has, if not, he won't get re-signed as a RFA.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
He was in Florida?
IIRC the Panthers traded 2 AHLers for Juolevi. So, now that that they lost Juolevi on waivers, they are down 3 contracts. So, in theory Panthers could make some moves at the deadline with just picks or sign a college player to a contract. Pretty interesting

Reactions: tucker3434

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
IIRC the Panthers traded 2 AHLers for Juolevi. So, now that that they lost Juolevi on waivers, they are down 3 contracts. So, in theory Panthers could make some moves at the deadline with just picks or sign a college player to a contract. Pretty interesting
They actually already got Petteri Lindbohm from the KHL.

Juolevi was pretty alright in Florida. Wish him well in Detroit.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
As a Red Wings fan, he can't be as bad as Dekeyser has been. He's a low-risk, medium reward type of waiver pick-up. He's got 26 games to see what he has, if not, he won't get re-signed as a RFA.
Damn has dekeyser been that bad?

juolevi is hot trash. His only nhl qualities are his offensive iq and passing. Everything else is well below nhl minimal standards

Reactions: Mister Ed

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Damn has dekeyser been that bad?

juolevi is hot trash. His only nhl qualities are his offensive iq and passing. Everything else is well below nhl minimal standards
Right on cue, Dekeyser is waived :laugh: He's been a pylon this year. You can see the smarts are there, but the body just can't follow anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Right on cue, Dekeyser is waived :laugh: He's been a pylon this year. You can see the smarts are there, but the body just can't follow anymore.
I gotta say that username is unreal. lol

Also thought i would chime in and say that he still has potential to be useful (just offering a different opinion from some Van fans i saw chime in here) even as a 2nd pair guy (wouldn't bet on it but wont rule it out) if he can work with the trainers and get over some bad injuries. Definitely talented and smart enough to it's just that pivoting and lack of engagement....ughhh.

Unlike a lot of people i don't think his skating is so bad that he can't be fine in that category. Lots of guys are slow on defense but know how to manage gaps, angles and use body positioning and Olli was figuring that part out somewhat with maturity i dont think its a big deal his stride is decent enough it's the pivot that is cringeworthy. Even his lateral crossover movement is pretty good.

Biggest 3 things are 1 - Pivoting - (as you'll see it's awful) not sure if it's injury related (the lack of improvement that is) as it was an issue at 19 but if it is and he can work through it that would be huge. 2- Engagement - has moments and games where he's just not switched on at all and plays a passive containment game also so the combo can be infuriating when he's off. 3- Athleticism - this one should be where he can really make some traction. He's been lazy and hasn't improved much from 18. Obviously injuries play a big role but a couple years without the injury excuse he was not even remotely in shape to play NHL hockey and pissed off the coaches pretty badly.

At 23/24 he still could make some traction but he's cooked as a #5 pick. Hope it works out

Reactions: Mister Ed

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i hope he can figure it out, but this player has been lost in a fog since his draft year. mysterious injuries have followed him everywhere he goes.

being force fed minutes and allowed to make mistakes might work.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Also missed out on trading down and taking Sergachev

Rumour has it Carolina was willing to swap their two 1st-rounders (13 OA and 21 OA) for the Nucks 5 OA. Nucks would have had their choice of Bean, McAvoy, Chychrun or Fabro with the 13 OA pick.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Rumour has it Carolina was willing to swap their two 1st-rounders (13 OA and 21 OA) for the Nucks 5 OA. Nucks would have had their choice of Bean, McAvoy, Chychrun or Fabro with the 13 OA pick.

Man and at 21OA guys like DeBrincat and Kyrou were available. Oh well... all hindsight.

I blame Columbus for going goofy on the draft order and picking PLD lmao.

Even Benning would've picked PLD at 5OA... maybe...

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
He‘s not from Scandinavia.
Stop.

You know perfectly well that "Scandinavia" is used historically/culturally/geopolitically as a synonym for "the Nordic countries". Including Denmark and Iceland as well as Finland.

(Languages aren't expected to be neatly logical; this is particularly so with English that has for centuries been very far from the "descriptive" end of the spectrum, but it applies to any natural language.)

Note that strictly geographically the Scandinavian peninsula includes only Norway, Sweden, and a northwest piece of Finland. I bet you'd have included Denmark? But really, nobody cares. This is one where you need the bigger picture to achieve successful pedantry. :DD

Feb 19, 2018
Last I saw it was 9-2 Arizona over Detroit. I imagine Juolevi must have made his debut.

Edit: Just looked, he didn’t.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Injuries have really derailed his career. IQ is there, the kid knows how to play. But skating is an issue & can't stay healthy.

Really hoping he turns it around, been a tough go for the kid.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The 2016 is a reminder of how closely related things are in the NHL.

Calgary, Edmonton and Columbus had a three-way trade tabled; where Calgary was going to move to 3 or 4, and Columbus was going to move to 6.

Edmonton was high on Sergachev.
Columbus was always high on Dubois.
Calgary was high on Puljujarvi.

Canucks were also very high on Dubois, and hence why the trade fell through. Columbus couldn’t move down to 6 or Vancouver would take him. With them taking Dubois, Edmonton fell into a spot to get Jesse and of course took him with all his hype going into that year, and Calgary went with their runner-up, Tkachuk.

There’s another world where Canucks have Dubois in it. Edmonton has Sergachev and the other assets they were in a position to acquire, Calgary had Puljujarvi.

Just to add to the Vancouver bit.

The rumor was the Canucks were planning to trade the #5 pick to Montreal for PK Subban in the event Dubois was available.

In hindsight I think I'm happier with us having missed on Juolevi than if we had traded Dubois for Subban.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad