Claimed off Waivers: [DET] Olli Juolevi claimed off waivers by the Red Wings from the Panthers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Damn.

I've liked him when he's played in Florida. Struck me as a perfectly capable bottom pair guy with tons of room to grow.
In a 10 game sample size...

Pros

• Great size and reach
  • Clearly high iq on both ends of the ice
  • Very decisive with the puck and away from it
  • Knew when to pinch, did it effectively, and didn't get caught/burned up-ice
  • Good with the puck at the point (moves his feet, can keep it in the zone)
  • Always made noticeably hard, crisp passses
  • Has a hard shot
  • Positionally sound
  • Didn't shy away from physical play or shotblocking
Cons
  • Bad skater overall: slow footspeed, doesn't have a powerful stride, can't corroborate Vancouver fans' screeching about his inability to pivot--that wasn't noticeable to me.
  • He reminded me of Ekblad in that he could compensate for his crappy skating with his size and reach. Again, his skating was bad, but it wasn't like "holy crap he's the worst skater on the ice BY FAR!"
  • Inaccurate first pass. Just not great with the puck deep in his zone. But honestly, when he botched that, it looked like your standard young d-man who lacked confidence and was gripping his stick too tight. Based on how he looked passing/with the puck every else besides starting the breakout, I expected him to figure it out with experience
  • Conditioning was bad. He always looked winded.
  • Never available to play. Whether he was sick, tweaking something in practice, getting bopped hard in-game...he needs to play in order to get better, and he usually isn't ready to play.
He shouldn't pass through waivers, but I really hope he does.
Olli has played a whopping 99 pro games in North America.
33 NHL games, 66 AHL games over the course of 4 seasons.

He needs consistency and minutes. Brunette trusted him enough that he was playing 15 and 16 minutes per night before getting hurt again. Let him play out the season in Charlotte and make him the 7D next season.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Hopefully he can carve out a career still, though he'll never be what he was projected to be when drafted. Injuries really derailed his progress.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Honestly I think Juolevi is pretty bad. But so is the left side of our defense so I guess it's worth a shot.

If we could get him close to Gustav Lindstrom's level, who is having a pretty good sophmore year, that would be a big win.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No real expectation and Can’t possibly be worse than Dekeyser.

This is probably just due to Leddy and maybe Stecher being moved at the deadline and no real prospects ready to make the jump in the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad